Re: recreation costuming question

  • stephentang01
    Message 1 of 48 , Sep 1, 2005
      --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Ricky & Karen Dick <castleb@p...> wrote:
      > But this seems like a whole new can of worms here as we try very
      hard to
      > welcome our anime friends into the fold.
      > They seem to me to be recreating a CHARACTER but not necessarily always
      > concerned about matching any one view of that character. adding trim,
      > changing things but keeping the animators style and such.

      This is the currently accepted understanding. Because the anime
      audience is often intimately familiar with the characters they watch
      on video or read in books, there is somewhat less emphasis on costume
      accuracy. To many anime fans, if there are enough elements on the
      costume to identify the character, that is good enough (like wearing a
      store-bought Halloween costume is good enough to look the part). They
      tend not to sweat the details. This is obviously a problem when you
      deal with costume judging. The anime audience is generally more
      absorbed into the media content than the costuming details.

      However, there are anime costumers that do work for accuracy to one
      source, rather than mix and match from multiple sources, so judging
      them on recreation guidelines should not differ than what you've been
      doing for recreation judging anyway.

      In the end, it is probably up to the MD to define the granularity of
      the definition of "recreation."
    • maladd
      Message 48 of 48 , Sep 6, 2005
        Would someone take one of those rocks and pelt Randall with it! ;)

        > In a message dated 9/6/05 11:18:44 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
        > kaijugal@h... writes:

        On the note of fanatical accuracy, we had a fellow in the Canadian
        National Expo masquerade this weekend, who made his Thing (aka Ben
        Grimm of the Fantastic Four), costume out of rock. One hundred and
        twenty pounds of extreme dedication.