Re: [ICG-D] Re:mens shirts

  • Stephanie Carrigg-Regan
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 4, 2001
      ---- Original Message -----
      From: "Lisa A Ashton" <lisa58@...>
      To: <ICG-D@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 8:31 AM
      Subject: Re: [ICG-D] Re:mens shirts

      > I know where you're coming from Elaine--I haven't met a man yet who
      > unbuttons his shirts to take them off and then buttons them up after
      > putting them on--everything just goes on over the head! Is this a basic
      > gender difference, so you think?
      >
      > Yours in costuming, Lisa A.

      Lisa
      Remind me at Arisia this year to introduce you to my husband Phil. He not
      only unbuttons his shirts when taking them off, but he does his own laundry,
      and ironing too.

      Stephanie
    • Elaine Mami
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 5, 2001
        >Remind me at Arisia this year to introduce you to my husband Phil. He not
        >only unbuttons his shirts when taking them off, but he does his own
        >laundry,
        >and ironing too.
        >
        >Stephanie

        Does he, by chance, come from the town of Stepford? Seriously, have that
        man insured!!

        Actually, I know thousands of men who do that - they are Marines! When we
        went to Frankie's (our youngest) graduation from boot camp on Parris Island,
        one of the things he asked for was an iron of his own, because the ones the
        Marines had were always in use!

        On the other hand, Carl doesn't even know where the iron is, let alone which
        end you plug in.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 5, 2001
          In a message dated 10/5/01 6:23:11 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
          ecmami@... writes:

          > On the other hand, Carl doesn't even know where the iron is, let alone
          which
          > end you plug in.

          Then how does he make grilled cheese sandwiches?

          Randall

          Who actually plays Felix to his wife's Oscar.
        • Betsy Delaney
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 5, 2001
            Dan does this too. I think he was adopted - the rest of the family is
            perfectly happy in sweatpants and sweatshirts.

            He'd rather be shopping at Eddie Bauer (if we could possibly afford it).

            My dad taught me the art of folding shirts for packing, to keep them
            from getting wrinkled. He learned the trick in the Army.

            Dan's in the Air National Guard, and had to go through Air Force Basic
            Training (I think).

            So, is Phil military?

            Cheers,

            Betsy

            --
            Betsy R. Delaney
            Web Mistress at large

            mailto:WebInvent@... or visit http://www.WebInvent.com/
            mailto:Costume-Con@... or visit http://www.Costume-Con.org/
            mailto:betsy@... or visit http://www.hawkeswood.com/
          • Stephanie Carrigg-Regan
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 5, 2001
              >So, is Phil military?
              His Dad was.. 20 years in the Navy as a fighter pilot. There is some of that
              influence in my Phil, but the shirt and laundry thing Phil learned this
              behavior from his mom. She raised him. From the time Phil was about 9 years
              old he had to do his own laundry if he wanted clean clothes. Mom worked full
              time and taught him to be self sufficient.
              If he didn't do his laundry he had to wear dirty clothes..
              To this day, you could set a watch to him and his laundry schedule.
              And believe me, i know how lucky I am.
              Stephanie
              > Dan does this too. I think he was adopted - the rest of the family is
              > perfectly happy in sweatpants and sweatshirts.
              >
              > He'd rather be shopping at Eddie Bauer (if we could possibly afford it).
              >
              > My dad taught me the art of folding shirts for packing, to keep them
              > from getting wrinkled. He learned the trick in the Army.
              >
              > Dan's in the Air National Guard, and had to go through Air Force Basic
              > Training (I think).
              >
              > So, is Phil military?
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Betsy
              >
              > Stephanie Carrigg-Regan wrote:
              > >
              > > Remind me at Arisia this year to introduce you to my husband Phil. He
              not
              > > only unbuttons his shirts when taking them off, but he does his own
              laundry,
              > > and ironing too.
              > >
              > > Stephanie
              >
              > --
              > Betsy R. Delaney
              > Web Mistress at large
              > WebInvent.com, Inc.

            • Alix Jordan
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 7, 2001
                Dear Stephanie:

                Remind me at Arisia this year to introduce you to my husband Phil. He not
                >only unbuttons his shirts when taking them off, but he does his own
                >laundry,
                >and ironing too.

                Linda Bowland has one of those models as well; or a similar one. He
                does drop his clothes on the floor, at night; belts and all; and can't find
                where he left his keys, glasses, wallet, etc. However, he does all the
                laundry; irons what nees ironing; does most of his own clothing repairs;
                cooks dinner on his days off; and can be trusted to actually sift the cat
                litter, if I'm out and Linda is ill. Oh, and he does dishes; and a lot of
                the food shopping. He also makes killer carrot cake.

                Peace
                Alixandra
                eddana@...

              • Alix Jordan
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 7, 2001
                  Dear Elaine:

                  >Actually, I know thousands of men who do that - they are Marines! When we
                  >went to Frankie's (our youngest) graduation from boot camp on Parris
                  >Island,
                  >one of the things he asked for was an iron of his own, because the ones the
                  >Marines had were always in use!
                  >
                  >On the other hand, Carl doesn't even know where the iron is, let alone
                  >which
                  >end you plug in.

                  When my brother the creep went off to college, he didn't know how to boil
                  water; didn't want to learn either; after all, he was the only male in the
                  household, and as such was catered to hand and foot. He spent the first
                  year of his three year course living on things like one tin of canned soup
                  to a dutch oven filled with water, because none of them knew enough to read
                  the label. The next year he learned how to cook, because none of the other
                  six guys sharing the apartment had any interest. Last I heard, he was a
                  gourmet cook.
                  Guys can learn a lot of those type of things, when they have to. My dad
                  came out of the enginering corp, after the Second World War, know how to do
                  basic sewing repairs, how to knit, and how to cook. (He took that one up
                  after someone tried to make "corn starch pudding' without knowing that there
                  were two types of starch. hehehehehehehehehe Anyway, I still have his
                  "solder's housewife" the sewing kit that was issured to the men. I use mine
                  to carry cross stitch supplies.

                  Peace
                  Alixandra
                  eddana@...

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 9, 2001
                    At 05:31 AM 10/4/01, you wrote:
                    >I know where you're coming from Elaine--I haven't met a man yet who
                    >unbuttons his shirts to take them off and then buttons them up after
                    >putting them on--everything just goes on over the head! Is this a basic
                    >gender difference, so you think?
                    >
                    >Yours in costuming, Lisa A.

                    Just a note Lisa, you have met such a man. Namely me. It would never occur
                    to me to pull a button down shirt over my head. I have always buttoned and
                    unbuttoned my shirts.

                    Sorry.

                    Pierre

                    "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                    Are Doomed To Repeat It;
                    Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly--
                    Why They Are Simply Doomed."

                    -- C.Y. 4971

                    Andromeda
                  • bruno@armyofdorkness.org
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 10, 2001
                      So how was it? How was the Masquerade? Inquiring minds want to know.

                      Bruno
                    • Lisa A Ashton
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 11, 2001
                        Dear Pierre--

                        Yes, but at least I know that you sew your own buttons back on and repair
                        your own seams!

                        Yours in costuming, Lisa A.
                        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.