Re: [ICG-D] Glasgow Masquerade

  • Cheryl Morgan
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 6, 2005
      Bill said:

      >I blame linguistics!
      >
      >Specifically, the fact that Gail has been working on her PhD in English
      >(specializing in TESOL/Composition) over the last three summers.
      >Indiana University of Pennsylvania has a superb summers-only program,
      >which kept us from having to pull John out of his arts high school.
      >
      >As of August 10, she'll be effectively ABD.

      All sounds very cool. And far too intelligent for me.

      >And given the thesis she wants to do, you may see more of us in the
      >near future. (More than that I cannot say, until cleared by Competent
      >Authority.)

      Good luck!

      > > I just wish I had pictures...
      >
      >So do I. But it's a real smile-maker just to have had this news,
      >almost in real-time!

      I know, I know. But if I had been able to go I would have been
      posting pictures now.

      <gnashes teeth in frustration>

      Oh well, maybe the Captain can work out some way I can cover the
      Hugos almost-live tomorrow. If I can get him to text me the winners
      as they are announced...

      Love 'n' hugs,

      Cheryl

      Cheryl Morgan
      Emerald City: Science Fiction & Fantasy Book Reviews
      cheryl@...
      http://www.emcit.com/
      UK: 07742 196 331
      US: (650) 722 1413
    • Bill Ernoehazy, Jr
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 6, 2005
        On Aug 6, 2005, at 5:35 PM, Cheryl Morgan wrote:

        >> Specifically, the fact that Gail has been working on her PhD in
        >> English...

        > All sounds very cool. And far too intelligent for me.

        That'd be credible if I didn't read Emerald City ever' so often.

        But I do... *grins*

        >>> I just wish I had pictures...
        >>
        >> So do I. But it's a real smile-maker just to have had this news,
        >> almost in real-time!
        >
        > I know, I know. But if I had been able to go I would have been
        > posting pictures now.
        >
        > <gnashes teeth in frustration>

        I am *so* there. Or not there, since I had to mind the home front this
        summer. Heh.

        > Oh well, maybe the Captain can work out some way I can cover the
        > Hugos almost-live tomorrow. If I can get him to text me the winners
        > as they are announced...

        To gank a phrase...

        oh, OOK.

        *twinkle*
        ________________

        The only way to evaluate somebody is how they handle contradiction.

        --Christopher Hitchens
      • Cheryl Morgan
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 6, 2005
          OK, here's some results. A little limited because the Captain was too
          busy to write everything down. More tomorrow when I've had a chance
          to talk to Giulia.

          - the YAFA kids did Shaun of the Dead and were apparently great fun

          - the audience also really liked Rachel Willey's Vampire Cheerleader

          - James Steel closed the show with a group of Chaos costumers,
          apparently very effective. The entry was called "The Soldier and
          Death... and... er... death" and no, I have no idea what that means

          - Tom Nanson won Best Journeyman for Dastardly in Motley

          - Miki Dennis won Best in Show for The Wind Brings Music to the
          Earth, which I think is an Aztec myth thing

          I note sadly that we did have a second Master entry but he scratched. Shame.

          Seth Briedbart told Captain Standlee that we had the best audience
          retention for the half time show that he'd ever seen. Congratulations
          are due to Kevin and Andy.

          Oh, and we finished at 10:48pm.

          Love 'n' hugs,

          Cheryl

          Cheryl Morgan
          Emerald City: Science Fiction & Fantasy Book Reviews
          cheryl@...
          http://www.emcit.com/
          UK: 07742 196 331
          US: (650) 722 1413
        • martingear
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 7, 2005
            Also, it is not over Labor Day weekend so will impact us US types. The
            plan as I've been told is to push everything back a day with Masquerade
            on Friday, Hugos on Saturday and Closing Ceremonies/Travel on Sunday. I
            have a feeling that'll cost them. I've given Martin Jaquish, the
            masquerade director the information about the ICG-D list so hopefully he
            will keep us appraised as to what he plans.

            Marty

            Alixandra Jordan wrote:

            >Gentlebeings:
            >
            > I've just found out that the L.A. Worldcon is running from
            >Wednesday to Sunday, with the masquerade on Friday! I feel as if I've
            >just stepped through the looking glass.
            >
            >peace
            >Alixandra
            >eddana@...
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Alixandra Jordan
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
              Dear Marty:

              > Also, it is not over Labor Day weekend so will impact us US types.

              Same for Canada; we celebrate Labour Day on the same weekend as
              you do. Only our Thanksgivings are different for shared holidays.
              Also, our May holiday is the weekend closest to May 21st, which I
              belive is a week before your long holiday.

              Peace
              Alixandra
              eddana@...
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 11, 2005
                On Saturday, August 6, 2005, at 11:32 AM, Alixandra Jordan wrote:

                > I've just found out that the L.A. Worldcon is running from
                > Wednesday to Sunday, with the masquerade on Friday! I feel as if I've
                > just stepped through the looking glass.

                The Wednesday to Sunday was announced in Glasgow, but I didn't know
                about the masquerade being on Friday. Understandable if they want to
                have the Hugo ceremony after the masquerade. It might make for a
                smaller masquerade, though.

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 11, 2005
                  On Saturday, August 6, 2005, at 03:24 PM, Cheryl Morgan wrote:

                  > - the audience also really liked Rachel Willey's Vampire Cheerleader

                  I saw her from the wings, and it was fun. Her lip-synching was so
                  spot-on, that it looked/sounded like she was doing a live cheer. The
                  costume was appropriate *fun*. She did a great routine.

                  > - James Steel closed the show with a group of Chaos costumers,
                  > apparently very effective. The entry was called "The Soldier and
                  > Death... and... er... death" and no, I have no idea what that means

                  Several of the Deaths from the Disc World universe were part of this
                  presentation. Lots of fun.

                  > - Tom Nanson won Best Journeyman for Dastardly in Motley

                  The level of detail was wonderful. I hope people can see photographs of
                  this costume. Miki Dennis says that he should have been a Master entry,
                  and now he's forced to be a master costumer. Congratulations, Tom.

                  > Seth Briedbart told Captain Standlee that we had the best audience
                  > retention for the half time show that he'd ever seen. Congratulations
                  > are due to Kevin and Andy.

                  It was amazing to see how much audience retention we had for the Iron
                  Costumer presentation. When the costumers got their awards, people were
                  there to see it and give them applause. It's so *nice* when more people
                  can see you receive your award - other than other costumers.

                • John O'Halloran
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 11, 2005
                    Actually the dates/days the convention was running have been announced
                    for quite some time. IIRC Baltimore was also a Wed-Sun convention.

                    It's only 1 day early from usual and the same number of days into the
                    convention, so I think there will be the usual number of entries
                    received pre-con and then a bunch of at-con pickups.

                    JohnO