RE: [ICG-D] BayCon Masquerade

  • Dany
    Message 1 of 28 , May 31, 2005
      > Workmanship awards were given, but
      > the convention newsletter did not list them.

      Actually, they were listed, but due to space constraints from the pictures
      for Sunday morning's newsletter release, they delayed them until the
      afternoon issue.

      Dany
      -Page 2, in fact :)

    • rookwoods
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 1, 2005
        --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Carole Parker <mscip@i...> wrote:

        > Workmanship Awards
        > Open Division
        > Honorable Mention - Gauntlets and Makeup
        > Joseph Michael Linsner (Unfortunately, I don't know which costume this
        > is.)

        Just a guess here, but since Linsner is the artist of the Dawn
        comic (for which the "Dawn costume contest" at Dragon Con happens
        every year), I'd suspect he had a hand in on 'Cry for Dawn'. I could
        be wrong, but it seems likely.

        -Judy Mitchell
      • Dany
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 1, 2005
          > > Workmanship Awards
          > > Open Division
          > > Honorable Mention - Gauntlets and Makeup
          > > Joseph Michael Linsner (Unfortunately, I don't know which costume this
          > > is.)
          >
          >    Just a guess here, but since Linsner is the artist of the Dawn
          > comic (for which the "Dawn costume contest" at Dragon Con happens
          > every year), I'd suspect he had a hand in on 'Cry for Dawn'. I could
          > be wrong, but it seems likely.

          Same character. If I looked right, she was actually recreating one of the
          first outfits she is shown wearing in the "Lucifer's Halo" series.

          Dany
          -crazy enough to actually enter that contest this year.
        • Andrew T Trembley
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 1, 2005
            On Jun 1, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Dany wrote:

            >>> Workmanship Awards
            >>> Open Division
            >>> Honorable Mention - Gauntlets and Makeup
            >>> Joseph Michael Linsner (Unfortunately, I don't know which costume
            >>> this
            >>> is.)
            >>
            >>    Just a guess here, but since Linsner is the artist of the Dawn
            >> comic (for which the "Dawn costume contest" at Dragon Con happens
            >> every year), I'd suspect he had a hand in on 'Cry for Dawn'. I could
            >> be wrong, but it seems likely.
            >
            > Same character. If I looked right, she was actually recreating one of
            > the
            > first outfits she is shown wearing in the "Lucifer's Halo" series.

            Yeah, we had a flaw or two in the software, and she filled Linser's
            name instead of her own because the blank said "designed by" instead of
            both her name and Linser's or just her own.

            --
            andy trembley, Bitchy Design Queen
            http://www.bovil.com/
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 2, 2005
              --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Dany <dany@l...> wrote:

              > Same character. If I looked right, she was actually recreating one
              of the
              > first outfits she is shown wearing in the "Lucifer's Halo" series.

              Ok, I"m NOT versed at all in the costumes and series of the Dawn
              stuff, but I thought Lucifer's Halo was the blasted thing I'm making
              for this year's Dawn? blue body with white sleeves and skirting? I
              know the storyline with that costume is that Dawn has to retrieve
              Lucifer's Halo. This costume didn't look like what I'm making. And
              mine has no guantlets - just long skintight sleeves. I'm confused?

              -Judy Mitchell
            • Dany
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 2, 2005
                > Ok, I"m NOT versed at all in the costumes and series of
                > the Dawn stuff, but I thought Lucifer's Halo was the blasted
                > thing I'm making for this year's Dawn? blue body with white
                > sleeves and skirting? I know the storyline with that costume
                > is that Dawn has to retrieve Lucifer's Halo. This costume
                > didn't look like what I'm making. And mine has no guantlets -
                > just long skintight sleeves. I'm confused?

                Lucifer's Halo is also the name of the trade paperback with the series of
                issues around Dawn, how she and Darrien Ashoka met, the Halo, etc. In fact,
                I believe that some call what was done at BayCon the "First Meeting" outfit.

                I think I know what you're making...I can't remember right off where it is,
                but I know I've seen it.

                Dany
                -slightly Linsner nerdy

              • rookwoods
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 2, 2005
                  --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Dany" <dany@l...> wrote:
                  > Lucifer's Halo is also the name of the trade paperback with the
                  series of
                  > issues around Dawn,

                  Oh! Ok. Like I said, I don't particularly follow Dawn, but a
                  friend does.

                  > I think I know what you're making...I can't remember right off where
                  it is,
                  > but I know I've seen it.

                  All patron saints and gods of sewing help me, my friend (you
                  didn't think *I* was going to wear one of those things!) wants to
                  compete it at D*C so the darn thing has to finished soon. Are you
                  entering this year?

                  -Judy
                • Aurora Celeste
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 2, 2005
                    Hee, I know I am, and I'm pretty sure Dany's been bullied into it too. If
                    you want some help with the costume from the die-hard enthusiasts, visit the
                    contest forum:
                    http://p066.ezboard.com/bdawncontest
                    Everyone's nice and helpful there, feel free to drop in and ask questions!
                    Aurora

                    On 6/2/05, rookwoods <judymitch@...> wrote:

                    > --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Dany" <dany@l...> wrote:
                    > > Lucifer's Halo is also the name of the trade paperback with the
                    > series of
                    > > issues around Dawn,
                    >
                    > Oh! Ok. Like I said, I don't particularly follow Dawn, but a
                    > friend does.
                    >
                    > > I think I know what you're making...I can't remember right off where
                    > it is,
                    > > but I know I've seen it.
                    >
                    > All patron saints and gods of sewing help me, my friend (you
                    > didn't think *I* was going to wear one of those things!) wants to
                    > compete it at D*C so the darn thing has to finished soon. Are you
                    > entering this year?
                    >
                    > -Judy

                  • Dany
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
                      The only trick right now is that ezboard recently got hacked into, and
                      none of the forum messages are showing up.

                      Hopefully this doesn't last too long.

                      Dany
                      -whose been bullied about the Contest sine 2001! *ee!*

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 5, 2005
                        Okay, does anyone have the full running list for Baycon? Is the MD on this
                        list, or can of you Bay area folks contact that person and get it?

                        Or any other masquerades around the country.

                        Obsessive masquerade record keeper Pierre.

                        "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                        Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                        -- C.Y. 4971

                        Andromeda
                      • Dany
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 5, 2005
                          > Obsessive masquerade record keeper Pierre.

                          Pierre, are there particular masqs that you are trying to get? Or do you
                          want to just grab any lists?

                          I can see about getting running lists for say, San Diego ComicCon if you
                          want. I've got a good rapport with the MD over there.

                          And since I'll be going to Dragon*Con this year too (unless something scary
                          happens) I can grab that for you as well.

                          Dany
                          -who won't be IN it, which might make things easier*

                          *though making up for it with the Dawn competition.

                        • Heather Monson
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 6, 2005
                            --- Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:

                            > Or any other masquerades around the country.
                            >
                            > Obsessive masquerade record keeper Pierre.

                            If you're interested, I can post the masquerade awards from CONduit, a
                            local con held in Salt Lake City each Memorial Day weekend. I have the
                            list at home. As I recall, Stephanie Park won two awards for her latest
                            mask creation. :-)

                            Anyway, let me know if you'd like them--I don't know if your obsession
                            extends all the way down to local cons. ;-)

                            Heather Monson
                            CONduit's latest Masquerade Coordinator
                            (who had a ball and can't wait to do it again next year)

                            "When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown-up." --C.S. Lewis, 1947

                            __________________________________
                            Discover Yahoo!
                            http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html
                          • Kevin Roche
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 6, 2005
                              I have it. We used it to build our judging database

                              (once the awards were figured out, we had certificates ready in 5-10
                              minutes flat, because I'd captured everyone's signatures in advance; I
                              LOVE my new BlueTooth graphics tablet)

                              And for those of us who are helping feed your obsession, what format
                              would you these lists in? Is an Excel spreadsheet acceptable?

                              Kevin

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 6, 2005
                                At 10:50 PM 6/5/2005, you wrote:

                                > > Obsessive masquerade record keeper Pierre.
                                >
                                >Pierre, are there particular masqs that you are trying to get? Or do you
                                >want to just grab any lists?

                                Oh any lists at all. I have a future project in mind. So anything you can
                                get, Dany, would be appreciated.

                                Pierre

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 7, 2005
                                  At 11:45 AM 6/6/2005, you wrote:
                                  >--- Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Or any other masquerades around the country.
                                  > >
                                  > > Obsessive masquerade record keeper Pierre.
                                  >
                                  >If you're interested, I can post the masquerade awards from CONduit, a
                                  >local con held in Salt Lake City each Memorial Day weekend. I have the
                                  >list at home. As I recall, Stephanie Park won two awards for her latest
                                  >mask creation. :-)
                                  >
                                  >Anyway, let me know if you'd like them--I don't know if your obsession
                                  >extends all the way down to local cons. ;-)

                                  Yes.

                                  That's the short answer. I'd love to see any and all info on any and all
                                  CONduit masquerade

                                  Thanks

                                  Pierre

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 7, 2005
                                    At 01:33 PM 6/6/2005, you wrote:
                                    >I have it. We used it to build our judging database
                                    >
                                    >(once the awards were figured out, we had certificates ready in 5-10
                                    >minutes flat, because I'd captured everyone's signatures in advance; I
                                    >LOVE my new BlueTooth graphics tablet)
                                    >
                                    >And for those of us who are helping feed your obsession, what format
                                    >would you these lists in? Is an Excel spreadsheet acceptable?

                                    I know you've already sent it to me, Kevin. However for anyone else, I can
                                    take Excel, Word, RTF, PDF's, or even Access if that's your pleasure. I'll
                                    even take a handwritten list mailed to me. (Be prepared for lots of
                                    questions, though, if I can't read something.)

                                    Pierre

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 7, 2005
                                      You're planning to break your own record for the number of members of a masquerade entry?! :)

                                      > > Obsessive masquerade record keeper Pierre.
                                      >
                                      >Pierre, are there particular masqs that you are trying to get? Or do you
                                      >want to just grab any lists?

                                      Oh any lists at all. I have a future project in mind. So anything you can
                                      get, Dany, would be appreciated.

                                      Pierre

                                    • Carolyn Kayta Barrows
                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 10, 2006
                                        BayCon Masquerade May 27, 2006
                                        San Jose Doubletree Hotel
                                        free hotel parking for registered BayCon attendees

                                        We invite everyone who will not be attending CostumeCon to enter the BayCon
                                        Masquerade. Although our focus is on the new costumers, and we try to make
                                        the experience an easy one for them, all are welcome.

                                        This year's theme is the Babylon 5 Ambassadorial Ball, and Stephen Furst,
                                        who played Emperor Vir Cotto, is going to choose the winner of the Most
                                        Thematic award!

                                        We have tweaked the BayCon Masquerade Rules a bit to make it easier to
                                        bring and use music or recorded sound. The rule for this should be online,
                                        but to summarize, the easiest way is to send an MP3 to DJ@.... In
                                        addition, there will be a chance to hand in MP3s or CDs to the new DJ at
                                        the Meet the Guests reception, and again, on Saturday, at the How to Enter
                                        a Masquerade panel (it might be called Masquerade 101). Please make a copy
                                        of whatever you hand in, and keep it with you as a backup.

                                        We apologize for last year's problems and hope we have solved them.

                                        As usual, you can turn in your entry forms at the Info Table up until 5 pm
                                        Saturday, but please don't wait till the last minute. Please give us as
                                        much time as possible to get you into the entrant database. Entry forms
                                        should also be available online.

                                        A separate Children's Masquerade is planned, possibly on Sunday (details
                                        TBD), so that the wee ones won't have to stay up so late on Saturday night.

                                        I'm actually working this Masquerade, so I can probably get you the answers
                                        to specific questions pretty quickly. But check the website first:
                                        http://baycon.org/2006/masquerade/ , http://baycon.org/2006/costuming/

                                        CarolynKayta Barrows
                                        dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
                                        www.FunStuft.com

                                        ///\\\\\
                                        ////-@@\\\
                                        (((( 7 )))
                                        )(( <> ))(
                                        * ) ( *
                                        /----\ /---\
                                      • Martin Gear
                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 10, 2006
                                          On the other hand, if you are on the East Coast and find the drive to
                                          San Jose to be a bit excessive, Balticon (Mariott Hunt Valley Inn -
                                          Baltimore/Hunt Valley, MD) is the same weekend and you will be most
                                          welcome at my masquerade.

                                          Marty

                                          Message 20 of 28 , May 10, 2006
                                            CC 24 is also on this weekend.