Re: [ICG-D] Fwd: RE: [SCA-Laurels] 3x5 documentation

  • Lisa A. Ashton
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
      Thanks--

      This was helpful. One of the things I always have trouble with is this
      sort of documentation. Esp. for the outfit I"m doing now. It's really
      hard to know what is enough andwhat is too much. I've examined other
      folk's documentation when given achance and still don't see what I"m
      doing wrong.

      Yours in costuming, Lisa A.
    • rookwoods
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
        --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa A. Ashton" <lisa58@j...> wrote:

        > This was helpful. One of the things I always have trouble with is this
        > sort of documentation. Esp. for the outfit I"m doing now. It's really
        > hard to know what is enough andwhat is too much. I've examined other
        > folk's documentation when given achance and still don't see what I"m
        > doing wrong.

        Hi Lisa,
        I have my docs all in pdf format, would you like me to send you my
        Danish one? It conforms the best to the 'shorter' type that the judges
        now prefer (as opposed to my first two when I didn't know there was a
        page limit!).

        -Judy Mitchell
      • Lisa A. Ashton
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
          Judy--

          That would be great. I'm deep into this historical, and while I'm
          spending most of my time doing the actual fitting, etc. it owuld be great
          to see what really good documentation looks like. I can easily have lots
          of pictures, but what do the judges really give points for here? My
          garment really HAS no original sources except for one real photo, and I
          can't find anything really similar to it in a book.

          Yours in costuming, Lisa A.
        • rookwoods
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2005
            --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa A. Ashton" <lisa58@j...> wrote:
            > Judy--
            >
            > That would be great. I'm deep into this historical, and while I'm
            > spending most of my time doing the actual fitting, etc. it owuld be
            great
            > to see what really good documentation looks like. I can easily have
            lots
            > of pictures, but what do the judges really give points for here? My
            > garment really HAS no original sources except for one real photo, and I
            > can't find anything really similar to it in a book.

            It's on it's way, Lisa. My Danish was also based on a photo. In my
            case I managed to find a few other dresses of the time that had
            similar features to show that it was a common dress style, and mostly
            I used construction aspects that I found were used at the time from
            other sources. Some construction bits I got in pics from a museum in
            IO, examining clohting that didn't look anything like mine, but were
            sewn in the same methods (one had the same pocket the Danish woman was
            showing me). Sometimes I used pics from books that showed 'this is
            what stockings of the time looked like' to compare with the ones my
            friend knitted for me.
            In your case, you might want to use construction techniques from
            the time period you think the dress started at, and maybe something
            from when it was re-styled. Since you're pretty sure it's an older
            style, look at how things were made at that point, not when the photo
            was taken (if they changed).

            -Judy Mitchell
          • Carolyn Kayta Barrows
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2005
              >This was helpful. One of the things I always have trouble with is this
              >sort of documentation. Esp. for the outfit I"m doing now. It's really
              >hard to know what is enough andwhat is too much. I've examined other
              >folk's documentation when given achance and still don't see what I"m
              >doing wrong.

              I'd use that as an outline for documentation, a guideline. My own
              documentation, when I used to compete, was usually not more than 10 sheets
              of paper, in some suitable folder, but I always tried to include the things
              I was proudest of having re-created or that I thought the judges might not
              know about.

              One time I did an early 1920s dress, back when I still weighed about 200#
              at 5'6" tall. Popular opinion holds that women that heavy aren't the
              correct period shape for that period, but women my size did exist then, so
              I anticipated the judges' possible objection. I included at least one
              contemporary photograph of a woman my size in a dress the same shape as the
              one I did, next to a copy of some illustrated instructions about what
              alteration to do if you weighed that much, taken from a contemporary sewing
              manual.

              CarolynKayta Barrows
              doll maker, fibre artist, textillian
              www.FunStuft.com

              O 0 O 0 O
              /|\ /|\ /|\ /|\ /|\
              / \ |\ / \ /| / \
              /___\ _|/ /___\ \|_ /___\
            • m d b
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 6, 2005
                > This was helpful. One of the things I always have trouble with is
                this
                > sort of documentation. Esp. for the outfit I"m doing now. It's
                really
                > hard to know what is enough andwhat is too much. I've examined
                other
                > folk's documentation when given achance and still don't see what I"m
                > doing wrong.

                Lisa it's unfortunately a fact of life that even good documentation
                will be viewed differently by different judges. That gets reduced
                when there are good guideline for the judges to know what the
                criteria are as well;)

                In a recent competition here I was a bit dissappointed my work (20
                pages of text and images to support three items entered) was given
                the same marks as muchless researched work. I simply had a different
                marker, and one who didn't actually get a chance to talk to me.

                In the other class of the same comp I came second with much less
                documentation. Possibly because I also got to speak to the judge and
                was given the chance to explain why I didn't do things that I simply
                didn't have time to write up in my notes.

                Hvaing guidelines for the judges is as important for the entrants if
                a fair competition is to be held.

                Displaying for fun is another thing entirely.

                michaela de bruce
                http://glittersweet.com
                currently documenting all the bad taste and wild colours that were
                used in the 16thC. Especially wild colours used together;)

                Lime green and hot pink velvet anyone;) How about green and red and
                gold and silver velvet? Or saffron yellow, wine red and sky blue?