Re: [ICG-D] New Navy Uniforms

  • Aurora Celeste
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1 5:34 PM
      > Well, the article said that it was trying to hide stains more readily,
      > and I have to agree that a solid uniform shows a stain more readily
      > than something with a pattern on it. I'm not sure that I'm wild about
      > the pattern, either, but I can understand some of the thinking on it.

      Yeah, I wasn't told about the woodland pattern, I learned that from
      the article, too. We've only seen the digi pattern, which is all the
      little squares in the pattern. Additionally I only saw it in the
      mostly haze-grey. I started research after we talked about it, and it
      looks like they're testing four, 2 digis and 2 woodland, one each of
      grey-dominant and blue-dominant.

      digi-pattern:
      http://www.sew-lexicon.com/Camouflage_patt_digital.htm

      Also, from the new article, they're testing some with rounded collars,
      which they say you have to iron less, and no pockets on the bottom so
      that you have to tuck the shirt into the pants. I'm seeing that be a
      great fashion statement.

      > Okay, I'll bite. What purpose do bell-bottomed pants serve? I honestly
      > don't know.

      The biggest danger on a ship is sinking. It's what you prepare every
      worst-case scenario for. Most times a ship sinks because of a fire,
      and fires cause more damage per year than anything else. Bell-bottoms
      allow you to sleep in your boots, socks, skivvies, and t-shirt and
      jump out of bed, throw on your shirt and pants and go. More
      importantly, if you accidentally catch on fire, the all-cotton denim
      pants don't stick to your legs, and you can take them off and
      extinguish them without taking 5 minutes to take your boots off. That
      time counts when it's your legs on fire.
    • Dana MacDermott
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1 5:55 PM
        Nope, 7 people. Six costumes (two people in one of them).
        Dana

        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 2 5:03 PM
          According to "Uniform Matters," a Navy Web page, "BELL BOTTOM TROUSERS--commonly believed that the trouser were introduced in 1817 to permit men to roll them above the knee when washing down the decks, and to make it easier to remove them in a hurry when forced to abandon ship or when washed overboard. The trousers may be used as a life preserver by knotting the legs."

          > Okay, I'll bite. What purpose do bell-bottomed pants serve? I honestly
          > don't know.

          The biggest danger on a ship is sinking. It's what you prepare every
          worst-case scenario for. Most times a ship sinks because of a fire,
          and fires cause more damage per year than anything else. Bell-bottoms
          allow you to sleep in your boots, socks, skivvies, and t-shirt and
          jump out of bed, throw on your shirt and pants and go. More
          importantly, if you accidentally catch on fire, the all-cotton denim
          pants don't stick to your legs, and you can take them off and
          extinguish them without taking 5 minutes to take your boots off. That
          time counts when it's your legs on fire.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129iqmnug/M=315388.5543473.6613715.3001176/D=groups/S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1099450794/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS>

        • Aurora Celeste
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 2 5:18 PM
            *nods* Same idea, you can take them off without taking off your boots
            first. Although you can knot the legs of any trousers, and when
            you're abandoning ship the first thing you do is take off your boots.
            Trust me, they're lead weights when wet.