Re: [ICG-D] WorldCon Masquerade Winners

  • Don Glover, the younger
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 2, 2001
      But WHO is just as important as what. sigh...

      At 04:33 PM 9/2/01, you wrote:
      >[snip]
      >I'm just listing the titles and awards, there were several large
      >groups (eight or more) and it would just take too long to list
      >everyone. I am sure that there will be further comments posted as
      >people trickle back from the con.

      [snip]

      >http://www.kolvir.com/ <- NEW AND IMPROVED

      Don Glover, the younger "Wild Thing"
      C, Visual Basic Programmer: Have Network Will Program.
      "One Thing About Pain: It Proves You're Alive!"
    • Joy Day
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 3, 2001
        At 08:44 PM 9/2/01 -0700, you wrote:
        >I'm just listing the titles and awards

        Yes, what good does this do for those of us who weren't there? I can't
        seem to get my osmosis gene working to tell me who the actual winners
        were. And I ask my cat and she doesn't know either.

        So a winner's list without the winners is... well... a fairly useless list.

        Joy
        Joy Day - Reverse Glass Artist
        (831) 622-9616 email:Joy@...
        P.O. Box 3939, Carmel-by-the-Sea,CA 93921
        http://www.glassnebula.com
      • Nebula5@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 3, 2001
          I can tell you this one:

          Carnevale on Mars: Presented by Sue Barrett-Barrett, Jim Bullitt, Sue Frank, Dave Howell, Lynn Kingsley, Marci Malinowycz, Greg Sardo, Julie Zetterberg; Costumes made by Julie Zetterberg, Greg Sardo, Lynn Kingsley, and Betty Bigelow

          The workmanship award listed for our group was for one costume, made by Lynn Kingsley and Betty Bigelow.

          AND... they're shutting down the Worldcon Internet Room in 10 minutes so that's all from me for a week or so as we're doing some touristy stuff for a while.

          --JZS
        • J Price
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 3, 2001
            Who 'populated' the costumes?

            Thanks,
            JP
            --- atalanta@... wrote:
            > Since I don't see this posted yet, I thought I'd
            > take the initiative.
            > I had an excellent seat, being a front catcher <g>.
            > The show went of
            > ON TIME and all the presentations were done in about
            > an hour. There
            > were about 31 entries. I managed to get a few pics
            > throughout the
            > evening, I'll post them to the Lunatic Phrynge site
            > sometime later in
            > the week.
            >
            > I'm just listing the titles and awards, there were
            > several large
            > groups (eight or more) and it would just take too
            > long to list
            > everyone. I am sure that there will be further
            > comments posted as
            > people trickle back from the con.
            >
            > Workmanship Awards
            >
            > Young Fan
            > Best in Class - Bubbles the Magic Baby Dragon
            >
            > Novice
            > Excellence in Hairpiece Construction - Vir Cotto
            > Attention to Detail (Recreation) - Sailor Mini-Moon
            > (Rini)
            > Best in Class - A Little Romance
            >
            > Journeyman
            > Most creative use of materials - Full Circle
            > Best in Class - Cash Conscious Couture-Fashion for
            > the Money Minded
            >
            > Master
            > Creativity and Attention to Detail - Carnevale on
            > Mars
            > Excellence in Beadwork - Pre-Emptive Strike
            > Special Award for Design and Construction of Collars
            > - Matsuri no
            > Shinda
            > Engineering Excellence Award - Seeking Hope
            > Best in Class - Kitsune
            >
            > Best in Show Workmansip - The H-Mercs
            >
            > Presentation Awards
            >
            > Junior
            > Best use of Duct Tape - Stage Crew:The Next
            > Generation
            > Best Swashbuckling - D'Artagnan:The Early Years
            > Best Beast - Bubbles the Magic Baby Dragon
            > Best Historical - A Renaissance Lady
            > Best Recreation - Sailor Mini-Moon
            >
            > Novice
            > Honorable Mention - Pandora's Box
            > Most Humorous - Mascot
            > Best Recreation - Vir Cotto
            > Most Original - Couture by the Numismatic Society
            > Best in Class - A Little Romance
            >
            > Journeyman
            > Most Humorous - Fairies Meeting in the Forest
            > Most Staggering - The Sugar Plum Fairy-Off Season
            > Best Invasion - The Empire vs The Brood
            > Best in Class - Full Circle
            >
            > Master
            > Honorable Mention - Rocks-Anna, Queen of the
            > Asteroid Belt
            > Most Alluring - Kitsune
            > Best Choreography - Carnevale on Mars
            > Most Elegant - Matsuri no Shinda
            > Best Transformation - Seeking Hope
            > Most Terrifying - The H-Mercs
            > Best in Class - Pre-Emptive Strike
            >
            > Best in Show - Fridays at Ten

            http://im.yahoo.com
          • Lisa A Ashton
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 3, 2001
              I can tell you about the entry I participated in, and maybe a few others:

              "Pre-Emptive Strike" (also now known as "I got 'Maul'ed at the Millenium
              Philcon"): was made and performed by Rae Bradbury-Enslin
              (ringleader)-Darth Squall,, Craig Enslin (No. 2), and in no particular
              order: Lisa Ashton, Ming Diaz--Darth Ball, Diane Kovalcin-Darth Shawl,
              Jim Kovalcin--Darth Tall, Laura Kovalcin--Darth Small, Susan Toker--Darth
              Trawl, Rob McKeagney--Darth Fall, Crawl and Sprawl then Darth Haul,
              Darren Bradbury--Darth Y'all, Max (not sure of his last name)--Darth
              Gaul, Scott, and another crazy who played the "Ani-maul" in our 2nd
              presentation.

              It was just too much fun.

              Brian Healey totally knocked us out with his robotic dragon, 12 feet
              high, that moved, lit up and falpped 2 sets of wings. I'm afraid
              something will have to be done about him--he also had costumed a full
              crew of H-mercs.

              My husband and Daughter, Robert and Celia Ashton did "Pandora's
              Box"--despite a tech glitch, they won a novice award.

              Donna Dube performed "Lady of the Lake".

              Gunther Anderson did "Full Circle", which really has to be seen to be
              believed--and this was his first costume! (although his second
              performance of it--it won Best in SHow at Blaticon!) Good jub
              Gunther--he also won the Costume APA award for most promising new
              costumer, given only to novices and journeymen.

              I don't remember all the credits for "Fridays at 10" but it was
              absolutely crisp choreography, and the use of the black and white
              illusion was masterful.

              Yours in costuming, Lisa A.
              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
            • randwhit@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 3, 2001
                In a message dated 9/3/2001 2:18:36 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
                lisa58@... writes:

                Darren Bradbury--Darth Y'all

                Having also done this pun myself, I'd like to know how Mr. Bradbury did his
                costume.

                Randall
              • Bill Ernoehazy
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 4, 2001
                  >From: J Price <taknflyte@...>
                  >To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [ICG-D] WorldCon Masquerade Winners
                  >Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 12:07:08 -0700 (PDT)
                  >
                  >Who 'populated' the costumes?
                  >

                  > > Journeyman
                  > > Best Invasion - The Empire vs The Brood

                  that would be Team Too Stupid To Quit (tm)--John Bondi-Ernoehazy, Gail
                  Bondi, Tina Beychok, Steve Bartlett, and myself. <smiles>

                  cordially, Bill

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 6, 2001
                    > From: Lisa A Ashton <lisa58@...>
                    >
                    > I can tell you about the entry I participated in, and maybe a few others:
                    >
                    > "Pre-Emptive Strike" (also now known as "I got 'Maul'ed at the Millenium
                    > Philcon")

                    That reads as a funny one. I hope I get to see a video of it before ConJose.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 8, 2001
                      I've added the necessary credits to this list.

                      > > Workmanship Awards
                      > >
                      > > Young Fan
                      > > Best in Class - Bubbles the Magic Baby Dragon
                      Melissa Knappenberger

                      > > Novice
                      > > Excellence in Hairpiece Construction - Vir Cotto
                      Created by Kitty Kitik, worn by Paul Dellachiaie

                      > > Attention to Detail (Recreation) - Sailor Mini-Moon
                      > > (Rini)
                      Created by Wendy Sheridan, worn by Ariel Sheridan

                      > > Best in Class - A Little Romance
                      Created by April Korbel and Michael Moran, worn by Alison Moran &
                      April Korbel

                      > > Journeyman
                      > > Most creative use of materials - Full Circle
                      Gunther Anderson

                      > > Best in Class - Cash Conscious Couture-Fashion for
                      > > the Money Minded
                      Zoe Morrow

                      > > Master
                      > > Creativity and Attention to Detail - Carnevale on
                      > > Mars
                      I'm not sure which person won this award. Only one of the group
                      actually went to Workmanship judging. (See Julie Z.'s post)

                      > > Excellence in Beadwork - Pre-Emptive Strike
                      Lisa Ashton

                      > > Special Award for Design and Construction of Collars
                      > > - Matsuri no
                      > > Shinda
                      Pierre and Sandy Pettinger

                      > > Engineering Excellence Award - Seeking Hope
                      Created by Allan Kent, Barbara Flockhart, Dan Zimmerman, Deryl
                      Burr, Dina Flockhart, Doug Ray, Ellen Kranzer, Ian Flockhart, Keshlam,
                      Kristin Burger, Lois Mangan, Nancy Shapiro, Pat Vandenberg, Phillip
                      Nathanson, Phyllis Collins, Rich Fine, Sandra Ryan, Sheila Oranch,
                      Stephanie Fine, Suford Lewis, Susan Brown,Susan Kruger, Tracy Cornogg

                      > > Best in Class - Kitsune
                      Created by Jennie Faries, worn by Jennie Faries & Mark Van Name

                      > > Best in Show Workmansip - The H-Mercs
                      Created by Brian Healy

                      > > Presentation Awards
                      > >
                      > > Junior
                      > > Best use of Duct Tape - Stage Crew:The Next
                      > > Generation
                      Created by Lori Meltzer & Morris Kesson, worn by Joseph Meltzer

                      > > Best Swashbuckling - D'Artagnan:The Early Years
                      Created by Jay Meisner, worn by Robert Meisner

                      > > Best Beast - Bubbles the Magic Baby Dragon
                      Mellisa Knappenberger

                      > > Best Historical - A Renaissance Lady
                      Rachel Willeg

                      > > Best Recreation - Sailor Mini-Moon
                      Created by Wendy Sheridan, worn by Ariel Sheridan

                      > > Novice
                      > > Honorable Mention - Pandora's Box
                      Created by Robert D. Ashton, worn by Celia Foo-Foo Ashton & Robert
                      D. Ashton

                      > > Most Humorous - Mascot
                      Created by Jared Dashoff, worn by Joni Brill Dashoff & Judy Bemis

                      > > Best Recreation - Vir Cotto
                      Created by Kitty Kitik, worn by Paul Dellechiaie

                      > > Most Original - Couture by the Numismatic Society
                      Created by Robecca Morris, worn by Rebecca Morris & Jake Swank

                      > > Best in Class - A Little Romance
                      Created by April Korbel & Michael Moran, worn by Alison Moran &
                      April Korbel

                      > > Journeyman
                      > > Most Humorous - Fairies Meeting in the Forest
                      Created by Kristin Honse, worn by Kristin Honse, Carol Landley,
                      Jim Landley & Rob Landley

                      > > Most Staggering - The Sugar Plum Fairy-Off Season
                      Created by The Royal Society for the Advancement of Space
                      Operetta, worn by Eugenia Horne

                      > > Best Invasion - The Empire vs The Brood
                      Bill Ernoehazy, Gail Bondi, John Bondi-Ernoehazy, Steve Bartlett,
                      Tina Beychok

                      > > Best in Class - Full Circle
                      Gunther Anderson

                      > > Master
                      > > Honorable Mention - Rocks-Anna, Queen of the
                      > > Asteroid Belt
                      Patricia Buard

                      > > Most Alluring - Kitsune
                      Created by Jennie Faries, worn by Jennie Faries & Mark Van Name

                      > > Best Choreography - Carnevale on Mars
                      Created by Betty Bigelow, Lynn Kingsley, Greg Sardo & Julie
                      Zetterberg, worn by Sue Barrett-Bullitt, Jim Bullitt, Sue Frank, Dave
                      Howel, Lynn Kingsley, Marci Malinowycz, Greg Sardo, Julie Zetterberg

                      > > Most Elegant - Matsuri no Shinda
                      Pierre & Sandy Pettinger

                      > > Best Transformation - Seeking Hope
                      Created by Allan Kent, Barbara Flockhart, Dan Zimmerman, Deryl
                      Burr, Dina Flockhart, Doug Ray, Ellen Kranzer, Ian Flockhart, Keshlam,
                      Kristin Burger, Lois Mangan, Nancy Shapiro, Pat Vandenberg, Phillip
                      Nathanson, Phyllis Collins, Rich Fine, Sandra Ryan, Sheila Oranch,
                      Stephanie Fine, Suford Lewis, Susan Brown,Susan Kruger, Tracy
                      Cornogg, Worn by Allan Kent, Bill Powers, Dina Flockhart, Don Eastlake,
                      Ian Flockhart, Joyce Grace, Karen Purcell, Liz Manicatide, Nancy Shapiro,
                      Pat Vandenberg, Phil Servita, Phillip Nathanson, Rich Fine, Stephanie Fine,
                      Suford Lewis, Talis Thrndyke Love

                      > > Most Terrifying - The H-Mercs
                      Created by Brian Healy, worn By Brian Healy, Jeannete Healy, Faith
                      Baker, Rob Shugrue, Hans Bader, Misty, Michelle

                      > > Best in Class - Pre-Emptive Strike
                      made and performed by Rae Bradbury-Enslin,
                      Craig Enslin Lisa Ashton, Ming Diaz, Diane Kovalcin,
                      Jim Kovalcin, Laura Kovalcin, Susan Toker, Rob McKeagney,
                      Darren Bradbury, Max , Scott, and another crazy

                      > > Best in Show - Fridays at Ten
                      Amanda Allen, Michael Atkinson, Tom Atkinson, Dan Corcoran,
                      Deborah Feaster, Jeannette Holloman, Sharon Landrum, Ric Rader, Ron
                      Robinson, Don Sakers, Ann Stephens, June Swords

                    • mscip@inreach.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 7, 2005
                        Hello All:

                        I have a copy of the running list, but I'm using the Internet Lounge, so I
                        have to give the abbreviated list right now. More later when I have time.
                        Sorry, no photos since I was working the masquerade.

                        The children came on stage first, and they were awarded their prizes
                        almost immediately. I did not get those award listings.

                        Novice
                        Best Workmanship - Dimitra Fleissner
                        How An Elf Starts the Day

                        Best Presentation - Rachel Willey
                        Vampire Cheerleader

                        Best in Class - Karen Furlong
                        no title listed on the form, may have been the Reninassance Dancer

                        Journeyman
                        Best Workmanship - Karen Dawson
                        Hippogriff

                        Best Presentation - James Steel
                        The Soldier and Death...and...er, Death

                        Best in Class - Tom Nanson
                        Dastardly in Motley

                        Chaos Costuming
                        Best Novice - Rock Robertson II
                        Baaad Costuming - The Silence of the Lamb

                        Best Journeyman - James Steel
                        The Soldier and Death...and...er, Death

                        Judges Choice
                        Best Fairy - Flis Brown, Sam and Elise Brocon,Annah Jackson, John Stewart
                        Do You Believe in Fairies?

                        "Kick Ass" Presentation - Philippa Chapman
                        Xena

                        Chutzpha - Pam Henschell
                        Victorian Secrets

                        Best Re-creation - Miranda Feenstra
                        Chiana

                        Best Audience Reaction - Pamela Potter and Teresa Adams. Props by Robin
                        Monoque. Models Kent Bloom and Mary Morman
                        Gnomes

                        Master
                        Best Workmanship AND Best in Show went to Miki Dennis

                        Miki had the audience gasping with the reveals that she had done. The
                        level of detail was outstanding and could be seen from a distance.

                        More later--

                        Carole
                      • Cheryl Morgan
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 7, 2005
                          Carole said:

                          >I have a copy of the running list, but I'm using the Internet Lounge, so I
                          >have to give the abbreviated list right now. More later when I have time.
                          >Sorry, no photos since I was working the masquerade.

                          Ah, well done! Good to see someone got the results through. A couple
                          of quick comments.

                          >The children came on stage first, and they were awarded their prizes
                          >almost immediately. I did not get those award listings.

                          They all got a prize, of course.

                          >Novice
                          >Best Workmanship - Dimitra Fleissner
                          >How An Elf Starts the Day
                          >
                          >Best Presentation - Rachel Willey
                          >Vampire Cheerleader
                          >
                          >Best in Class - Karen Furlong
                          >no title listed on the form, may have been the Reninassance Dancer

                          We didn't have a title with the entry. Karen is a veteran of
                          Eastercon masquerades, having been competing since she learned to
                          walk. The costume was made by her mom, Sabine.

                          >Chutzpha - Pam Henschell
                          >Victorian Secrets

                          Ah yes, the Victorian underwear entry. :-)

                          >Best Re-creation - Miranda Feenstra
                          >Chiana

                          Character from Farscape, I believe.

                          >Best Audience Reaction - Pamela Potter and Teresa Adams. Props by Robin
                          >Monoque. Models Kent Bloom and Mary Morman
                          >Gnomes

                          That's part of the Gnomish theme for the Denver Worldcon bid.

                          >Master
                          >Best Workmanship AND Best in Show went to Miki Dennis
                          >
                          >Miki had the audience gasping with the reveals that she had done. The
                          >level of detail was outstanding and could be seen from a distance.

                          I wish Miki could get to more Worldcons.

                          Love 'n' hugs,

                          Cheryl

                          Cheryl Morgan
                          Emerald City: Science Fiction & Fantasy Book Reviews
                          cheryl@...
                          http://www.emcit.com/
                          UK: 07742 196 331
                          US: (650) 722 1413
                        • Alix
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 7, 2005
                            Dear Cheryl:

                            Best Re-creation - Miranda Feenstra
                            Chiana

                            > Character from Farscape, I believe.

                            Yes, and Miranda is one of the Toronto area costumers, and a regular at
                            Toronto Terk.

                            Peace
                            Alixandra
                            eddana@...
                          • Dawn McKechnie
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 7, 2005
                              Wow fun news about the Masq.

                              >Best Re-creation - Miranda Feenstra
                              >Chiana
                              >Character from Farscape, I believe.

                              Yes that IS a Farscape character. ^_^ Miranda is semi local to us in Toronto
                              and brought that costume to Toronto Trek last year. :) She has an uncanny
                              knack and chamelion ability of looking just like whatever character she
                              chooses to portray. :)
                            • Alixandra Jordan
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 8, 2005
                                Dear Dawn:

                                She has an uncanny > knack and chamelion ability of looking just like
                                whatever character she > chooses to portray. :)

                                That's putting it mildly. I was in her den the year that she did
                                "The Host" (Loren) out of "Angel". I only figured out that she was
                                female by hearing her talk. The make-up, the body language, it was
                                all perfect.
                                The next year, I'm sitting there and wondering what Miranda is
                                going to do, when Chiana walks over and says "Hi." I'm staring
                                because it's Chiana's walk, Chiana's body language, her face. It was
                                Chiana's voice! "Alix, you don't recognize me do you? It's
                                Miranda."
                                The next year, she did "Zhann" and the same thing happened, right
                                down to the voice. The woman is incredible.
                                One of the worst things about not getting to Toronto Trek the
                                last two years is that I never got to find out what Miranada did for
                                the masquerades.

                                Peace
                                Alixandra
                                eddana@...
                              • Cheryl Morgan
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 8, 2005
                                  We have photos:

                                  Via the convention newsletter:
                                  http://www.distraction.org.uk/interaction/newsletter9.pdf (Miki)
                                  http://www.distraction.org.uk/interaction/newsletterM.pdf (others)

                                  Also a report on the event, from which I see that Team Europe beat
                                  Team America in Iron Costumer:
                                  http://www.distraction.org.uk/interaction/newsletter10.pdf

                                  I suspect the enthusiastic reportage is a little jingoistic, but it
                                  sounds like the crew did indeed do a great job.

                                  Congratulations are due to:
                                  Giulia de Cesare - Director
                                  Alison Hopkins - Deputy Director
                                  Chris & John O'Halloran - Stage Management
                                  Sue Mason & Teddy - Hosts
                                  Kevin Roche & Andy Trembley - Iron Costumer
                                  Alistair Cameron & John Maizels - Tech
                                  Susan de Guardiola - Judges Clerk
                                  Plus the usual cast of thousands who helped out

                                  Also many thanks to Kevin Standlee for standing between us and the
                                  convention management.

                                  Oh, and congratulations to Sue and Giulia. They are both part of the
                                  Hugo-winning Plokta Cabal, and Sue won her second Fan Artist Hugo.

                                  Love 'n' hugs,

                                  Cheryl

                                  Cheryl Morgan
                                  Emerald City: Science Fiction & Fantasy Book Reviews
                                  cheryl@...
                                  http://www.emcit.com/
                                  UK: 07742 196 331
                                  US: (650) 722 1413
                                • Jennifer Wylie
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 8, 2005
                                    *LOL*

                                    Dany Slone is the same way. People didn't recognize
                                    her as Lotor or Vampire Hunter D until she started to
                                    talk. (In fact, in ComicCon's Masquerade audeience, a
                                    lot of fangirls were *convinced* that Dany was a guy.)

                                    ---Radar

                                    --- Alixandra Jordan <eddana@...> wrote:

                                    > Dear Dawn:
                                    >
                                    > She has an uncanny knack and chamelion ability of
                                    > looking just like whatever character she chooses to
                                    portray. :)

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • Dany
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 8, 2005
                                      > Dany Slone is the same way. People didn't recognize
                                      > her as Lotor or Vampire Hunter D until she started to
                                      > talk. (In fact, in ComicCon's Masquerade audeience, a
                                      > lot of fangirls were *convinced* that Dany was a guy.)

                                      It's that whole thing of me choosing these 'pretty boys'.
                                      I'm good at it, I guess.

                                      Dany
                                      -but yes, I CAN be a girl!
                                    • martingear
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 8, 2005
                                        Dany wrote:
                                        --snip--
                                        -but yes, I CAN be a girl!

                                        Boy, I'll agree to that! (remembering the yellow bikini at CC)

                                        ^M^
                                      • Jennifer Wylie
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Aug 8, 2005
                                          > Boy, I'll agree to that! (remembering the yellow
                                          > bikini at CC)
                                          >
                                          > ^M^

                                          *CRACKING UP*

                                          Or the con suite at CostumeCon, post historical
                                          masquerade...

                                          (About Dany) "Oh my God, she's dressed like a girl!"

                                          And *everyone* knew who they were referring to.

                                          ---Radar

                                          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                        • Dany
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Aug 8, 2005
                                            > Dany wrote:
                                            > --snip--
                                            > -but yes, I CAN be a girl!
                                            >
                                            > Boy, I'll agree to that!  (remembering the yellow bikini at CC)
                                            >
                                            > ^M^

                                            *LOL* Y'know, I don't even LIKE that bikini that much..but it's the only
                                            one I have!

                                            Dany
                                            -doesn't shop for swimwear often...
                                          • martingear
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Aug 8, 2005
                                              Dany wrote:

                                              >>Dany wrote:
                                              >>--snip--
                                              >>-but yes, I CAN be a girl!
                                              >>
                                              >>Boy, I'll agree to that! (remembering the yellow bikini at CC)
                                              >>
                                              >>^M^
                                              >>

                                              >*LOL* Y'know, I don't even LIKE that bikini that much..but it's the only
                                              >one I have!
                                              >
                                              >Dany
                                              >-doesn't shop for swimwear often...

                                              Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that conjures up some interesting pictures ;-)

                                              ^M^