Alix and beading

  • Alix
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2004
      Dear Shawna:
      .
      If you are beading through it (meaning the thread goes through the
      backingand beading happens once the backing is on) fusible is a down right
      nightmare.

      Yes, I sew right through, and I know all about beading through fabric
      and fleece; I did an entire panel coat in beads and sequins; ten per cent
      sequins and nintey per cent rocaille beads done in a rococo pattern. It was
      a lark compared to the yellow lace costume, with the angel sleeves, which
      had to be encrusted with sequins, following the pattern of the lace, which
      was a circle of eight large dots, with an inncer circle of eight smaller
      dots, with a large dot in the middle, and diamonds made of small dots
      between the rows of circles. The colours were red, green, golds, whites,
      and orange, and I sewed most of them in patterns; no two in a row the same.
      I was using flats stripped off the string, six, eight and ten mm cupped, ten
      mm stars, sun discs, paylettes, and rocaille beads to hold everything in
      place. That was a major pain in various portions of the anatomy...mainly
      the fingers.

      skipthe beading all together. Beading is flat out heavy. And it must be
      reinforced or it falls off usually.

      The panel coat weighs about what a woman's woolen winter coat used to
      weigh when I was a kid, somewhere between five and seven pounds; I store it
      in a footlocker with other encrusted costumes.
      As for skipping the beading, this isn't an option. You can ask anyone,
      who has ever seen my costuming, and the only costumes that I've done that
      are not beaded, are glittered, and this costume won't work with just
      glitter; not for what I have in mind.
      Oh, and I've never had any trouble with beads falling off. My first
      experiments with making beaded appliques was done by beading and sequining
      cotton sewn to felt. The design went well; so well in fact that Allen
      wanted it. I sewed it to a caftan for him. He was two at the time, and
      liked to take his large yellow Duplo bricks and rub the edge over the
      applique; pretending that he was grating cheese. At five, I took the
      applique off, and attached it to the front of his presentation costume:
      "The King of Elves". In that time, only one bead every came off.

      My usually method is to use an underlining of duck cloth or well worn
      denim(i.e. recycled jeans).

      Not an option since it would show through the fabric; I need something
      light in colour and inexpensive in price.

      . I suggest you do your beading on an appliqué base first, cut that out,
      apply to garment, then edge with a
      beading/sequin design.

      I've done appliques; even thought a course on making them at CC7. I
      wrote a two part article on the process for the Costumer's Quarterly. I
      appliqued the entire gown with snow flakes for my "Snow Queen" at CC13, and
      did not like the result. (Worst costume I ever did; jinxed from the word
      go.) This costume would not work with appliques and you wouldn't want to
      try. Six inches wide from neck to toes, twelve inches to three or four from
      knees to back of the skirt, encrusted with sequins, beads, string breads,
      everything sewn with embroidery thread; beads used to hold the sequins in
      place, and everything double sewn.
      I think it will be glitter for the sleeves and the rest of the gown, and
      glitter for the coat since that's being done in organza and I don't want to
      weigh it down. Gloves will be glittered as well.