Re: [ICG-D] WorldCon news?

  • Richard A. Hill
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
      Ok
      Really brain-dead
      The totals of the divisions = 50 was as of 2pm on Sunday then there were 3
      scratches
      47 actually on-stage

      At 07:51 PM 09/06/2004, you wrote:
      >BrainDead at home - half awake
      >We had to pick up Zach and two cousins and watch them for the next two days
      ><payback for the Con>
      >I'll upload the Presentation winners separately from my write-up. I have
      >the Presentation winners and if I can't find my Workmanship winners, I know
      >Carl has them.
      >
      >I'll be interested to hear from other points of view - but here is my summary:
      >47 entrants (55 registered, 8 scratch and no shows)
      >12 Young Fan entries
      >20 Novices
      > <The next wave is coming>
      >9 Journeymen
      >9 Master
      >
      >This is the largest Masquerade in the last 8 years (Pierre and I went over
      >the numbers) and the first time an East Coast WorldCon Masquerade has
      >out-numbered a West-Coast Masquerade within a three year cycle. <very big
      >smile>
      >I am sure LA in 2006 will recapture their lead
      >
      ><yawn> - falling over now ..
      >
      >Thank you SO MUCH, Julie, for being my last minute Presentation Judge
      >
      >More thank you's, self criticism and chest-thumping will follow with
      >entrant and winners lists
      >
      >Richard

      >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129u4oirv/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1094600934/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298>5a073d.jpg
      >5a07e8.jpg

      > *

    • Betsy Delaney
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
        Whew! 8 scratches sounded really excessive!

        Thanks for the clarification!

        Richard A. Hill wrote:

        > Ok
        > Really brain-dead
        > The totals of the divisions = 50 was as of 2pm on Sunday then there were 3
        > scratches
        > 47 actually on-stage

        Betsy R. Delaney
        Web Mistress at large

        http://www.WebInvent.com/ * http://www.hawkeswood.com/
        http://www.Costume-Con.org/ * http://www.sickpups.org/
        http://www.SchoolWithoutWalls.org/
      • Julie Zetterberg Sardo
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
          This is all I have. I remember some of the presenter names but don't
          have the complete information so I won't include any here. Someone
          will surely be along soon with the missing info. I will say that it
          was a very tough competition, with many excellent costumes. We had
          to make some very tough choices. Congratulations to the winners, and
          thanks to all who competed.

          Presentation Awards:
          Novice
          Best Presentation, Encounter of Light and Darkness
          Most Beautiful, Fairy Maiden
          Most Humorous, Professor Gumby Teaches Defense Against the Dark Arts
          Best Anime, The Legend of the Shaolin Sisters
          Best Recreation, Commisar-Colonel Ibram Gaunt
          Most Spellbinding, Lovecraft's Inspiration
          Best in Class, Blight, Unseelie Fey

          Journeyman
          Most Beautiful, Dragon Priestess
          Best in Class, Adventures in Time

          Master
          Best Recreation, FutureIkons
          Most Politically Incorrect, Patriotic Pagan
          Most Dramatic, Death's Defeat
          Most Humorous, Not the Usual Unusual
          Best in Class, A Pale Rider

          Best in Show: Arctic Circle (Journeyman)

          Discworld Awards
          3rd Place, Inside the Mind (Novice)
          2nd Place, A Pale Rider (Master)
          1st Place, Not the Usual Unusual (Master)
        • Julie Zetterberg Sardo
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
            The final daily zine has more complete results, in pdf format. And
            my name is spelled wrong therein. ;)

            <http://www.noreascon.org/pubs/newsletter/issue14.pdf>

            --Julie ZS
          • martingear
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
              Just finished unloading the car after a ten hour drive, but I had to add
              the following:
              Not the Usual Unusual featured:
              Ron Robinson as Rincewind
              Jeff Poretzky as The Patrician
              Ken Warren at Nobby Nobbs (& Ken made his own costume and won a
              workmanship prize!)
              Vicky Warren as Granny Weatherwax
              Bobby Gear as Nanny Ogg
              Jennie Faries as Herra the Henna Haired
              Mark van Name as Tom Jones &
              Marty Gear as Cohen the Barbarian

              Pictures coming to an X rated website near you once we get them. All
              typos and misspellings are mine 'cause I'm too tired to correct them,
              but in addition to the Most Humorous Presentation - Master, we won the
              First U.S. DiscWorld Convention prize!

              ^M^
            • Bruce & Nora Mai
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 7, 2004
                Thanks to everyone who posted the list of entries & winners but does anyone
                know who the people's names are for any of these? (Aside from the "Usual
                "Unusual" which Marty covered.)
                Thanks,

                Nora
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 10, 2004
                    I'm so pleased that the momentum of the masquerade was progressive
                    and that it was a success! Kudos to you and all staff invloved,
                    Richard.

                    And I'm not surprised you're brain dead. ;)

                    I'm just sorry that our plans to make it down never came to fruition
                    but I am so glad you all had fun.

                    Gord

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 12, 2004
                      Gordon --