WorldCon news?

  • Richard A. Hill
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
      BrainDead at home - half awake
      We had to pick up Zach and two cousins and watch them for the next two days
      <payback for the Con>
      I'll upload the Presentation winners separately from my write-up. I have
      the Presentation winners and if I can't find my Workmanship winners, I know
      Carl has them.

      I'll be interested to hear from other points of view - but here is my summary:
      47 entrants (55 registered, 8 scratch and no shows)
      12 Young Fan entries
      20 Novices
      <The next wave is coming>
      9 Journeymen
      9 Master

      This is the largest Masquerade in the last 8 years (Pierre and I went over
      the numbers) and the first time an East Coast WorldCon Masquerade has
      out-numbered a West-Coast Masquerade within a three year cycle. <very big
      smile>
      I am sure LA in 2006 will recapture their lead

      <yawn> - falling over now ..

      Thank you SO MUCH, Julie, for being my last minute Presentation Judge

      More thank you's, self criticism and chest-thumping will follow with
      entrant and winners lists

      Richard

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
        Ok
        Really brain-dead
        The totals of the divisions = 50 was as of 2pm on Sunday then there were 3
        scratches
        47 actually on-stage

        At 07:51 PM 09/06/2004, you wrote:
        >BrainDead at home - half awake
        >We had to pick up Zach and two cousins and watch them for the next two days
        ><payback for the Con>
        >I'll upload the Presentation winners separately from my write-up. I have
        >the Presentation winners and if I can't find my Workmanship winners, I know
        >Carl has them.
        >
        >I'll be interested to hear from other points of view - but here is my summary:
        >47 entrants (55 registered, 8 scratch and no shows)
        >12 Young Fan entries
        >20 Novices
        > <The next wave is coming>
        >9 Journeymen
        >9 Master
        >
        >This is the largest Masquerade in the last 8 years (Pierre and I went over
        >the numbers) and the first time an East Coast WorldCon Masquerade has
        >out-numbered a West-Coast Masquerade within a three year cycle. <very big
        >smile>
        >I am sure LA in 2006 will recapture their lead
        >
        ><yawn> - falling over now ..
        >
        >Thank you SO MUCH, Julie, for being my last minute Presentation Judge
        >
        >More thank you's, self criticism and chest-thumping will follow with
        >entrant and winners lists
        >
        >Richard

        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129u4oirv/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1094600934/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298>5a073d.jpg
        >5a07e8.jpg

        > *

      • Betsy Delaney
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
          Whew! 8 scratches sounded really excessive!

          Thanks for the clarification!

          Richard A. Hill wrote:

          > Ok
          > Really brain-dead
          > The totals of the divisions = 50 was as of 2pm on Sunday then there were 3
          > scratches
          > 47 actually on-stage

          Betsy R. Delaney
          Web Mistress at large

          http://www.WebInvent.com/ * http://www.hawkeswood.com/
          http://www.Costume-Con.org/ * http://www.sickpups.org/
          http://www.SchoolWithoutWalls.org/
        • Julie Zetterberg Sardo
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
            This is all I have. I remember some of the presenter names but don't
            have the complete information so I won't include any here. Someone
            will surely be along soon with the missing info. I will say that it
            was a very tough competition, with many excellent costumes. We had
            to make some very tough choices. Congratulations to the winners, and
            thanks to all who competed.

            Presentation Awards:
            Novice
            Best Presentation, Encounter of Light and Darkness
            Most Beautiful, Fairy Maiden
            Most Humorous, Professor Gumby Teaches Defense Against the Dark Arts
            Best Anime, The Legend of the Shaolin Sisters
            Best Recreation, Commisar-Colonel Ibram Gaunt
            Most Spellbinding, Lovecraft's Inspiration
            Best in Class, Blight, Unseelie Fey

            Journeyman
            Most Beautiful, Dragon Priestess
            Best in Class, Adventures in Time

            Master
            Best Recreation, FutureIkons
            Most Politically Incorrect, Patriotic Pagan
            Most Dramatic, Death's Defeat
            Most Humorous, Not the Usual Unusual
            Best in Class, A Pale Rider

            Best in Show: Arctic Circle (Journeyman)

            Discworld Awards
            3rd Place, Inside the Mind (Novice)
            2nd Place, A Pale Rider (Master)
            1st Place, Not the Usual Unusual (Master)
          • Julie Zetterberg Sardo
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
              The final daily zine has more complete results, in pdf format. And
              my name is spelled wrong therein. ;)

              <http://www.noreascon.org/pubs/newsletter/issue14.pdf>

              --Julie ZS
            • martingear
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
                Just finished unloading the car after a ten hour drive, but I had to add
                the following:
                Not the Usual Unusual featured:
                Ron Robinson as Rincewind
                Jeff Poretzky as The Patrician
                Ken Warren at Nobby Nobbs (& Ken made his own costume and won a
                workmanship prize!)
                Vicky Warren as Granny Weatherwax
                Bobby Gear as Nanny Ogg
                Jennie Faries as Herra the Henna Haired
                Mark van Name as Tom Jones &
                Marty Gear as Cohen the Barbarian

                Pictures coming to an X rated website near you once we get them. All
                typos and misspellings are mine 'cause I'm too tired to correct them,
                but in addition to the Most Humorous Presentation - Master, we won the
                First U.S. DiscWorld Convention prize!

                ^M^
              • Bruce & Nora Mai
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 7, 2004
                  Thanks to everyone who posted the list of entries & winners but does anyone
                  know who the people's names are for any of these? (Aside from the "Usual
                  "Unusual" which Marty covered.)
                  Thanks,

                  Nora
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 10, 2004
                      I'm so pleased that the momentum of the masquerade was progressive
                      and that it was a success! Kudos to you and all staff invloved,
                      Richard.

                      And I'm not surprised you're brain dead. ;)

                      I'm just sorry that our plans to make it down never came to fruition
                      but I am so glad you all had fun.

                      Gord

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 12, 2004
                        Gordon --