Hugo Awards

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 31, 2004
      Voting for the Hugo Awards is an excellent way to demonstrate to SF fandom that costumers have SF interests beyond costuming.

      If you have an attending or supporting membership in Noreascon 4, you have until midnight tonight to vote for the Hugo Awards for the best works of 2003 and the Retro-Hugo Awards for 1953. Please vote!

      Thank you,

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 3, 2004
        At 08:32 PM 7/31/2004, you wrote:
        >Voting for the Hugo Awards is an excellent way to demonstrate to SF fandom
        >that costumers have SF interests beyond costuming.
        >
        >If you have an attending or supporting membership in Noreascon 4, you have
        >until midnight tonight to vote for the Hugo Awards for the best works of
        >2003 and the Retro-Hugo Awards for 1953. Please vote!
        >
        >Thank you,
        >
        >Byron

        Byron is correct here. While we're past the voting deadline for this year,
        we would encourage anyone who can to purchase at least a supporting
        memberships to upcoming Worldcons. This allows you to both nominate and to
        vote. (its actually a bit more complex than that, but not important now).

        When you get the final nominees, read and watch them. Even if you think you
        won't like them. This is one of the best ways to expose you to new authors
        (new to you at least) and evaluate if you do like them. We've found several
        that way. Granted you can't always get to everything. (we seldom get to
        review all the Best Related Book nominees and don't subscribe to most
        fanzines so can't really vote on fan writers, artists and editors).

        Pierre and Sandy

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        "Those Who Fail To Learn History
        Why They Are Simply Doomed.

        -- C.Y. 4971

        Andromeda
      • Lay, Toni
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 4, 2004
          Usually, the books I've read and nominated are not on the final ballot. As
          a slow reader, there's NO WAY I'm going to read all the nominated books,
          novellas, novelettes and short stories, which would also mean spending more
          money on books and magazines than I care to.

          The fact that you can do it, well, you're a better man than I.

          However, I ALWAYS vote for Best Dramatic Presentation, even if I've only
          seen one of the nominated features. BTW, I'm so happy this category has
          been divided into Long Form and Short Form.

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 4, 2004
            Actually the novellas, novelettes and short stories are almost always
            available free for downloading from the current Worldcon's website, soon
            after the nominations are out. For me it is usually only about a week's
            effort to read all the nominees in all three categories, and there are
            always some real gems.

            I admit that I also skip the fan writing categories, and usually the related
            books as well.

            Eileen

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 4, 2004
              In a message dated 8/4/2004 11:50:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              Message: 3
              Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:48:48 -0400
              From: "Lay, Toni" <toni@...>
              Subject: RE: Hugo Awards

              Usually, the books I've read and nominated are not on the final ballot. As
              a slow reader, there's NO WAY I'm going to read all the nominated books,
              novellas, novelettes and short stories, which would also mean spending more
              money on books and magazines than I care to.

              The fact that you can do it, well, you're a better man than I.

              However, I ALWAYS vote for Best Dramatic Presentation, even if I've only
              seen one of the nominated features. BTW, I'm so happy this category has
              been divided into Long Form and Short Form.
              Tony, at least recently, most of the short fiction has been available on lin
              on the Publisher's websites. So, if you don't mind reading online...
              John Syms

            • Alix
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 5, 2004
                Gentlebeings:

                I gave up reading science fiction, and most fantasy years ago. Most of
                it is just not interesting. I still have some of my SF, including the first
                four Chanur books; never could get interested in the fifth one. I lost
                interest in my R. Daneel books a long ways back, and gave what I had to
                Linda. I still go through the SF section of the bookstores, and nothing
                really catches my eye.
                I read most of Tanya Huff's work; her Vicki Nelson and Henry Fitzroy
                stuff; her Keeper series; Gate of Darkness, Circle of Light; Fire's Stone.
                Mostly, I read Terry Pratchett, and mysteries, which include Glen Cook's
                Garret Files, and Mike Resnick's Stalking the Unicorn. Funny thing that
                one; it's the only book of his that I've been able to read.
                For voting, I can usually vote for the dramatic presentation, the art,
                and I could have a lot of fun with the retro hugos this year; especially the
                dramatic presentation and the best novels; stuff I've actually read! Yah!

                Peace
                Alixandra
                eddana@...
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 5, 2004
                  At 08:48 AM 8/4/2004, you wrote:
                  >Usually, the books I've read and nominated are not on the final ballot. As
                  >a slow reader, there's NO WAY I'm going to read all the nominated books,
                  >novellas, novelettes and short stories, which would also mean spending more
                  >money on books and magazines than I care to.
                  >
                  >The fact that you can do it, well, you're a better man than I.

                  We don't always get it done. We do have subscriptions to most of the
                  magazines (though not all). And we do not buy hardbacks. If we can get it
                  in paper, we buy it. If it's not available in paper we check the library.
                  If we can't get it there, we don't bother. This year we bought Humans
                  (Robert Sawyer) we had in paperback. Ilium (Dan Simmons) and Paladin of
                  Souls (Lois MacMaster Bujold) we checked out of the library right after the
                  nominations came out. At that time the other two nominees, Singularity Sky
                  (Charles Stross) and Blind Lake (Robert Charles Wilson) were only available
                  in hardback and weren't available at the library. We would have let them
                  slide. Luckily, they came out in paper in early July. Since we do read
                  quickly, we got them read in time.

                  Generally, though, our point was use the nominations to expose yourselves
                  to unfamiliar authors. You may not like it, but you also might find a new
                  favorite.

                  >However, I ALWAYS vote for Best Dramatic Presentation, even if I've only
                  >seen one of the nominated features. BTW, I'm so happy this category has
                  >been divided into Long Form and Short Form.

                  Ah, but you should see the fights this has sparked in SMOFS.

                  Pierre and Sandy

                  >Toni

                  "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                  Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                  -- C.Y. 4971

                  Andromeda
                • DianeTHX
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 5, 2004
                    I rarely read any more. I'm too busy writing fan fiction. However, I am currently reading a biography about Eleanor of Aquitaine - very interesting lady.

                    Diane
                    >Usually, the books I've read and nominated are not on the final ballot. As
                    >a slow reader, there's NO WAY I'm going to read all the nominated books,
                    >novellas, novelettes and short stories, which would also mean spending more
                    >money on books and magazines than I care to.
                    >
                    >The fact that you can do it, well, you're a better man than I.

                    We don't always get it done. We do have subscriptions to most of the
                    magazines (though not all). And we do not buy hardbacks. If we can get it
                    in paper, we buy it. If it's not available in paper we check the library.
                    If we can't get it there, we don't bother. This year we bought Humans
                    (Robert Sawyer) we had in paperback. Ilium (Dan Simmons) and Paladin of
                    Souls (Lois MacMaster Bujold) we checked out of the library right after the
                    nominations came out. At that time the other two nominees, Singularity Sky
                    (Charles Stross) and Blind Lake (Robert Charles Wilson) were only available
                    in hardback and weren't available at the library. We would have let them
                    slide. Luckily, they came out in paper in early July. Since we do read
                    quickly, we got them read in time.

                    Generally, though, our point was use the nominations to expose yourselves
                    to unfamiliar authors. You may not like it, but you also might find a new
                    favorite.

                    >However, I ALWAYS vote for Best Dramatic Presentation, even if I've only
                    >seen one of the nominated features. BTW, I'm so happy this category has
                    >been divided into Long Form and Short Form.

                    Ah, but you should see the fights this has sparked in SMOFS.

                    Pierre and Sandy

                    >Toni

                    "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                    Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                    -- C.Y. 4971

                    Andromeda

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Lay, Toni
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 6, 2004
                      I do NOT have Internet access.

                      In a message dated 8/4/2004 11:50:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                      Message: 3

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 6, 2004
                        Lay, Toni wrote:

                        >I do NOT have Internet access.
                        >
                        >Toni

                        Then how are we getting these messages? (Inquiring minds want to know
                        :-P )

                        ^M^
                      • Ricky & Karen Dick
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 6, 2004
                          Marty, I think Toni has email, but not internet browsing capability.

                          --Karen

                        • Dressmup@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 6, 2004

                            >Lay, Toni wrote:
                            >
                            >>I do NOT have Internet access.
                            >>
                            >>Toni
                            >>

                            >Then how are we getting these messages? (Inquiring minds want to know
                            >:-P )
                            >
                            >^M^

                            One can get email without being able to surf the Internet. Like me at this
                            compter -- I can read and send email but I must wait until I get home to check
                            out a link.

                            JoAnne
                          • Lay, Toni
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 6, 2004
                              Thru black magic and nepotism, we municipal peasants have e-mail, but no
                              Internet.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 6, 2004
                                --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Lay, Toni" <toni@s...> wrote:
                                > Thru black magic and nepotism, we municipal peasants have e-mail,
                                but no
                                > Internet.

                                I have visions of Toni's superiors hovering over a dark cauldron in
                                the dead of night, sacrificing the VP's son-in-law and chanting:

                                "Bubble, bubble, ISP trouble,
                                Dark ones, make our bandwidth double..."

                                JSM
                              • Lay, Toni
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 6, 2004
                                  Actually, it's the Commissioner's son-in-law.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 6, 2004
                                    Ahhhhhhhh So. (Sorry about that.) But at Pennsic you have smoke
                                    signals? Right? [ Anybody want to guess what Netscape wants to change
                                    Pennsic to?]

                                    ^M^

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 5, 2008
                                      If you are a Denvention 3 member and have not voted on the Hugo awards, please remember that ballots must be received by midnight (2400 hours) Pacific Time, at the end of Monday, July 7, 2008.

                                      More information is available at:

                                      http://www.denvention.org/index.php<http://www.denvention.org/index.php>

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 28, 2014
                                        If you have a Loncon 3 membership, don't forget to vote for the 2014 Hugos and 1939 Retro-Hugos. Balloting for the awards closes on July 31.