Re: [ICG-D] BayCon Masquerade Photos

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2004
      On Tuesday, June 1, 2004, at 02:50 PM, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger wrote:

      > Oh, I would really like to see the Clergy of Chalion. Any chance for
      > photos
      > or video?

      Unfortunately, not by me. No official video was taken, so I don't know
      the likelyhood of your being able to see it. I can check with Gerald
      Perkins (local fan photographer and responsible for the fan photo area)
      if he has any masquerade photos available. They'll be stills, but he
      does nice quality.

    • Carolyn Kayta Barrows
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
        >> any idea how many entries overall?
        >
        >If I recall correctly, 27 with one entry dropping out, so a real total
        >of 26.

        27 entries - there were an 8 and an 8a.

        Carolyn Kayta Barrows

        "If you can't dazzle 'em with your brilliance, baffle 'em with embroidery."
      • Genie
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 20, 2004
          Oh yes, me too, please. I have both books and would love to see visual
          interpretations of this one.

          Genie

          Snow fallen on snow,
          and this evening, the full moon of November
          Basho

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 20, 2004
            On Sunday, June 20, 2004, at 09:25 AM, Genie wrote:

            > Oh yes, me too, please. I have both books and would love to see visual
            > interpretations of this one.

            Pictures are on

            http://www.arclight.net/~greyroger/

            Look under the BayCon 2004 listing, and you'll see several pages of
            photos. You can click on any thumbnail to get a full-sized look at
            them.

            Message 5 of 13 , May 30, 2006
              The class divisions for BayCon were novice, open, and master. This was
              a better-than-recent number of entries - 20. I think that the largest
              number of entries for a BayCon masquerade, ever, was 30. The overall
              quality of the entries was outstanding and no one disappointed.

              BayCon had two Best in Show awards:

              The Spam-ish Inquisition
              Best-in-Show Re-Creation, Best in Class Workmanship (master level?)
              Corli, Nina Cathleen, Thuri, Kel, Glenn, Carolyn, Molly, Leah, and Jean
              Comment: This is the same group that did the One Ring presentation last
              year. They stayed in character even when they received their awards.
              Fun to watch.

              Your San Jose Sharks
              Best-in-Show Original, Best in Class Workmanship (journeyman level?)
              Chris Bertani, Christy Bertani, Angie Clough, Mel Siffords, Jim
              Murdoch, Ellie Deyneka, Leigh Ann Melloy
              Presentation: They did the San Jose Sharks uniforms as Quidditch
              uniforms and carried appropriate brooms.
              Comment: Very, very well done and a fun presentation.

              Other Awards

              Qui Gon Jin and Darth Maul
              Best in Novice Class
              Workmanship: Best in Show
              Greater Bay Area Costumer's Guild Rising Star Award
              Costume Con 26 Special Award: Persistence in Stitchery (included two
              memberships to CC26)
              Mette Hedin and Bryan Little
              Presentation: Imagine Qui Gon Jin and Darth Maul done as Lego/Duplo
              pieces. Yes, the cheer went up "lego, lego!" Qui and Darth battle a bit
              and then hug and kiss each other. A very sweet and fun presentation.
              Comment: I know these people from yet a different group that we
              participate in, and they're very nice people. People will enjoy them
              when you meet them. These are the same people that wore the Spy vs. Spy
              costumes during the BayCon parties last year, and this was their first
              masquerade. People can consider them to be "scary novices." I think
              they're going to do yet more wonderful things in the future. I'll see
              if I can get them to come to LAConIV.

              Inflated Moon
              Novice: Best Use of Non-Traditional Materials
              Workmanship: Best in Novice Class
              Presented by Davina, Constructed by John Barlow
              Presentation: Imagine, if you will, Sailor Moon done all in balloons.
              Yes, balloons. Even the "boots" were done in balloons. A giant cat head
              was made to represent the companion character, but not the rest of the
              cat body.
              Comment: This was a fun entry, and a good way to start the masquerade.

              Mollari
              Best in Open Class
              Workmanship: Excellence in Gunking
              Stephen Furst Special Award for Most Thematic
              Special Workmanship Award: Excellent Use of Fabric From Hell went to
              Sydney Thompson
              Mary Cordero, Erland Cole, Stephen Nelson, Michael Sarkisian, Sydney
              Thomson (one name left off by the newsletter team)
              Presentation: Babylon 5 characters singing an original filk tune
              "Mollari" to, you got it, "Volare."
              Comment: Personally, I think it went a tad too long since they didn't
              do anything really special with their presentation to go with the song.

              A Go-Go Boy From Jupiter
              Open Class: Flashiest
              Watch Out Kevin, Here I Come Award
              Workmanship: Excellence in Construction
              Silicon Web Award: Dreamcatcher for Technical Innovation
              Doghood? (I'm not certain if this is the name that was listed or not.)
              Presentation: This guy wove el-wire to create a swimsuit that sequenced
              and flashed at different points in the music. He also had heelies
              (tennis shoes with wheels in the heels) that made for different
              movement. His presentation was an appropriate go-go routine.
              Comment: He had the body to carry it off properly. That's why the Kevin
              comment was made. The crowd really responded well to his fun
              presentation.

              Rebecca Fog, Ready for Action
              Open Class Honorable Mention: Concept and Documentation
              Workmanship: Best Innovative Use of Hardware
              Johanna Mead
              Presentation: A proper-looking Victorian lady comes out and then
              "strips" down to a black body suit with an all-metal corset.
              Comment: The all-metal corset looked really well constructed.

              The Daydream
              Open Class Most Beautiful
              Laura Ehrlich
              Presentation: Art Deco/Artiste styled gown and a floral wreath with an
              appropriately paced walk on, historically appropriate pose, and walk
              off.
              Comment: A really pretty gown that looked, from where I sat,
              historically accurate.

              Cats and Seadogs
              Best in Master Class
              Jennifer "Radar" Wylie
              Presentation: A redo of her presentation that was done at Further
              Confusion. A change was made with who she interacted with on stage. A
              cat with a military-type outfit wearing thigh-high boots.

              Masquerade
              Best Concept in the Master Class
              Workmanship: Excellence in Resin Casting
              Philip Gust
              Presentation: Theme music from Phantom starts the entry. Two different
              layers of mask reveals reveals a third mask. Music changed to something
              lighter (Moulin Rouge?), and a small kick step routine was done. The
              phantom wore all red.
              Comment: Beautifully done. Personally, I expected this one to win the
              master best in class, so it looks like the judges had a difficult
              decision between this one and Cats and Seadogs.

              I didn't take photos, but JohnO and Danny Low were in the photo pit
              area, so I hope that we'll see some URLs from them soon. Unfortunately,
              the convention newsletter only printed the award winners and not all
              the entries. When the photo URLs are provided, I'll try to provide
              additional comment on the other entries.

              Message 6 of 13 , May 31, 2006
                At 11:24 AM 5/30/2006, you wrote:

                Carole,

                If you can get ahold of the running order and credits as well for the
                archives, that would be great.

                Pierre

                PS Let us know when John and Danny have photos available. Any chance of video?

                "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                -- C.Y. 4971

                Message 7 of 13 , May 31, 2006
                  On Wednesday, May 31, 2006, at 10:12 AM, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
                  wrote:

                  > At 11:24 AM 5/30/2006, you wrote:
                  >
                  > If you can get ahold of the running order and credits as well for the
                  > archives, that would be great.

                  Dana MacDermott was a presentation judge, and Bruce MacDermott was a
                  workmanship judge, so they may have the running list. Dana? Bruce?

                  > PS Let us know when John and Danny have photos available. Any chance
                  > of video?

                  I posted a link to Danny's BayCon masquerade photos, but here it is
                  again:

                  < http://www.fanfotography.com/bay2006.html>