FW: Sad News - Poul Anderson

  • Nebula5@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31 10:51 PM
      I thought this forwarded message might be of interest to some of you on this
      list.  I know Poul has been an inspiration to many of us.
      --Julie Z. S.

      -----
      FW:
      Poul Anderson has left Alta Bates hospital in Berkeley and is in hospice care
      at the Anderson home in Orinda. His daughter Astrid, his brother John and his
      niece Janet are flying in today to be with him. When I spoke with Poul the
      day before yesterday, he was weak but lucid; both Poul and Karen welcome
      email messages. Their email is trigonier@...

      Karen has supported Poul with courage and creativity during his month-long
      stay at Alta Bates. She has prepared meals of many small and tasty morsels
      that would tempt him when he was not inclined to eat; she has tuned her menus
      to his dietary restrictions, and provided constant companionship and relief
      from the discomfort and strain of hospitalization. Poul, not unexpectedly,
      has shown courage in the face of what was not, at the beginning, inevitable,
      but extremely difficult. Now the inevitable has arrived, and it is likely a
      matter of days.

      My own loss is made difficult by the fact that I cannot be with them at this
      time, and that I stand to lose not just a grand father in law, but one of my
      favorite writers. Both Poul and Karen have provided immense inspiration over
      the decades to me and to hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of others.
      Please pass this letter to others not on the list, who might wish to express
      their love and appreciation.

      Greg Bear
    • mscip@inreach.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001
        > I thought this forwarded message might be of interest to some of you on this
        > list. I know Poul has been an inspiration to many of us.
        > --Julie Z. S.
        >
        > -----
        > FW:
        > Poul Anderson has left Alta Bates hospital in Berkeley and is in hospice care
        > at the Anderson home in Orinda.

        Just a thought for anyone that lives near the Anderson's and wants to do
        *something* useful for them. This goes on the thinking that Karen has limited
        energy, and she probably doesn't really want to cook.

        Make some single-serve dishes that can be kept in the freezer and heated up.

        If you know them well enough to take food over to them, you probably know what
        they like or can eat. Then again, when in doubt, call and ask. You wouldn't
        believe how helpful this is to someone in this situation. I speak from
        experience on this one.

        I've worked with a couple of buddies to help provide a week's worth of dishes,
        both lunch and dinner, and it spread the preparation load around.

        It was also greatly appreciated by the people in the situation.

      • Nebula5@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001
          I have just received word that Poul has passed away.

          (And I wish I could figure out why stupid ads seem to attach themselves to my
          messages to this list! Sorry - not my fault!)

          --JZS