More Hall Costumes

  • Susan Stringer
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 27 6:04 PM
      > My own opinion about wearing hall costumes is that it amkes the whole
      > convention (or Renfair, or party) more fun for everyone, it's fun to look
      > at, and spices things up. The more we wear hall costumes, the more
      > people will be encouraged to wear hall costumes, and in general, it just
      > makes for a better con. This is why Costume Con is always so much fun.

      Ok guys, since we have a large geographical base on this list, can anyone
      tell me if Hall Costuming is regional? Here in the South East, we have tons
      of hall costumers. Far more than Masqueraders. In fact, many masquerades
      stoop to rounding up hall costumers if there are aren't many contestants.
      When Jeff & I went to a convention in Arlington, VA we met Dave Prowse
      (Darth Vader) for the first time because he approched us in the bar to ask
      about my high tech pirate costume. He didn't understand why I dressed up.
      I told him I did it for FUN and attention. Naturally, we invited him to
      attend some Southern Cons to have more fun than that stuffy "Yanky" con.
      He became a regular guest at DragonCon for the next four years.

      Costumes make EVERYTHING more fun! In fact, we are going to Planet of the
      Apes tomorrow as the apes from the original series of movies.

      Hugs, Susan
    • bruce briant
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 28 9:19 AM
        Susan--

        Earlier this year I was at Baycon in San Jose. It's a local con, gets a
        good draw. I missed the masquerade (baby tending duties), but there
        seemed to be a goodly number of hall costumes. Hall costumes were mostly
        Ren Faire/SCA, teens in Goth and a large number of original sf/fantasy
        costumes.

        Westercon in Portland, OR had a smallish masquerade with a good turnout
        of interesting costumes. Hall costumes seemed a little light to
        me--anybody else go to Westercon this year?

        Bruce B.

        "It's kind of neat to do the impossible."
        Walt Disney

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 28 1:21 PM
          bruce briant wrote:

          > --anybody else go to Westercon this year?

          Yes.

          > Westercon in Portland, OR had a smallish masquerade with a good
          > turnout
          > of interesting costumes.

          When you could see them. I was 1/3 of the way back in the
          audience and couldn't see the way too low stage at all. Plus the
          techs kept turning off the lights (complete black) as soon as the
          costumes started to head down the T to leave the stage, negating
          the advantage of the costumes walking through the audience and
          out a back door. They might as well just have gone back stage
          again for all we could see of the costumes. My husband got a
          better view in the photo area.

          > Hall costumes seemed a little light to me...

          That's because "It was in the Other Hotel". Seriously, trying to
          wear anything complicated while running between hotels isn't
          easy. I did wear my Star Trek Security On Vacation Hawaiian Shirt
          (complete with target on the back). Had to bring something back
          from the Islands, right?

          Lisa
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 28 6:28 PM
            My impression from Arisia and Lunacon is that there are fewer hall costumes
            now than there were two or three years ago. I'm not sure why -- it may be a
            cyclical thing -- and I haven't been to other major East Coast cons (Philcon
            and Balticon) in years, so I can't speak about them. Anyway, yes, from my
            limited experience, there are fewer hall costumes in the northeast than
            there used to be.

            People in the Albany, NY, area used to wear costumes to sf and fantasy
            movies -- certainly for the Star Wars films but also for others. We don't
            go to the movies very much any more, so I don't know whether that's still
            true. We didn't go to Phantom Menace, Shakespeare in Love, Midsummer
            Night's Dream, or Crouching Tiger until waay after the initial crowds.
            (Aahh, the bliss of being the entire audience in the theater!) The reviews
            I've read this week of Planet of the Apes don't inspire me to see it.

            From: Susan Stringer <thesusan@...>
            To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com <ICG-D@yahoogroups.com>
            Date: Friday, July 27, 2001 9:01 PM
            Subject: [ICG-D] More Hall Costumes

            >> My own opinion about wearing hall costumes is that it amkes the whole
            >> convention (or Renfair, or party) more fun for everyone, it's fun to look
            >> at, and spices things up. The more we wear hall costumes, the more
            >> people will be encouraged to wear hall costumes, and in general, it just
            >> makes for a better con. This is why Costume Con is always so much fun.
            >
            >Ok guys, since we have a large geographical base on this list, can anyone
            >tell me if Hall Costuming is regional? Here in the South East, we have
            tons
            >of hall costumers. Far more than Masqueraders. In fact, many masquerades
            >stoop to rounding up hall costumers if there are aren't many contestants.
            >When Jeff & I went to a convention in Arlington, VA we met Dave Prowse
            >(Darth Vader) for the first time because he approched us in the bar to ask
            >about my high tech pirate costume. He didn't understand why I dressed up.
            >I told him I did it for FUN and attention. Naturally, we invited him to
            >attend some Southern Cons to have more fun than that stuffy "Yanky" con.
            >He became a regular guest at DragonCon for the next four years.
            >
            >Costumes make EVERYTHING more fun! In fact, we are going to Planet of the
            >Apes tomorrow as the apes from the original series of movies.
            >
            >Hugs, Susan
          • Alix Jordan
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 28 6:45 PM
              Dear Susan:

              >Ok guys, since we have a large geographical base on this list, can anyone
              >tell me if Hall Costuming is regional?

              Okay, this from Canada. We attend Toronto Trek; before this we used to
              attend Ad Astra. Hall costumes are common. Not everyone wears them, but
              there are usually quite a number roaming around. Apparently, Toronto Trek
              started out with strickly Star Fleet uniforms, but now they get a lot of
              everything. As far as the number of hall costumes to presentation costumes
              goes, it does seem to vary. This year, the masquerade was on the small
              side; maybe forty presentaions; other years it's closer to sixty. Very few
              of the people competing in the masquerade wear those costumes in the hallway
              before the masquerade. I know that hall costuming is down among the local
              people because of space restrictions; there is only so much that you can
              carry on the subway; and now that everyone has to pay for parking, fewer
              people are taking their cars.

              Peace
              Alixandra
              eddana@...

            • bruce briant
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 28 8:58 PM
                Alix--

                >> This year, the masquerade was on the small
                side; maybe forty presentaions; other years it's closer to sixty. Very
                few
                of the people competing in the masquerade wear those costumes in the
                hallway
                before the masquerade<<

                Count your blessings. 40 entries would be a huge masquerade in the
                greater Los Angeles area! And 60? Maybe for a Worldcon, but only then.

              • randwhit@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 29 1:22 PM

                  >Ok guys, since we have a large geographical base on this list, can anyone
                  >tell me if Hall Costuming is regional?

                  There's certainly plenty of it here in Arizona.

                  Lots of trek uniforms, SCA/Ren, belly dancer, face painters, RP gaming clubs
                  who have developed their own uniforms, and many wholly original looks.

                  On behalf of SWCG and the masquerade directors, I make Hall Costume
                  Appreciation Award ribbons that SWCG members hand out during the cons. (I'll
                  have to write a CQ article about these sometime soon.)

                  I'm proud of the ones I just made for Coppercon 21 in September. These are
                  modeled after a military medal and use a belly-dancing faux coin for the
                  medal, with a blue ribbon printed with "Coppercon 21 Hall Costume Award" and
                  contact information for SWCG. The medalion is stamped with a crowned liberty
                  head, like 19th century US coins. I explain this is really an image of
                  Glitziana in her numismatic aspect.

                  The reaction to these awards is varied. Most recipients understand our
                  intentions and enjoy the token of esteem. Some are confused. Others simply
                  have unusual tastes in clothes and did not intend to do a hall costume.

                  We have a running joke with one cross-dressing friend that his evening
                  dresses are his regular clothes, so they don't count as a costume unless he
                  does something special. He received his hall costume award for an indian sari
                  this spring.

                  Some of the hall costumes are very good indeed. When I run the masquerade, I
                  send out press gangs to convince these people to show the costumes on stage.
                  These are small local cons, so hall costomes come across well on the ballroom
                  stage.

                  Randall
                • randwhit@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 29 1:22 PM
                    In a message dated 7/28/2001 6:52:23 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
                    BP.Connell@... writes:

                    People in the Albany, NY, area used to wear costumes to sf and fantasy
                    movies -- certainly for the Star Wars films but also for others.  We don't
                    go to the movies very much any more, so I don't know whether that's still
                    true.  We didn't go to Phantom Menace, Shakespeare in Love, Midsummer
                    Night's Dream, or Crouching Tiger until waay after the initial crowds.
                    (Aahh, the bliss of being the entire audience in the theater!)  The reviews
                    I've read this week of Planet of the Apes don't inspire me to see it.

                    I used to do quite a bit of the movie promotion costume stuff, but grew tired
                    of the way I was treated by theater operators. Some would specifically
                    solicit us to show up in costume for promotional purposes, then expect us to
                    hang around in the lobby, schmooze, and never actually get to see the
                    picture. This, along with some borrowed Trek costumes never returned, and
                    shoddy treatment at a fabric store halloween promotion, led to my official
                    policy decision that, "Randall's costuming skills are for his friends and
                    customers, not corporate America."

                    My review of "Planet of the Apes:"

                    Looks great but doesn't make a lot of sense. Lots of wormholes in the premise
                    and plot.  Rick Baker's ape makeup and the movement style of the ape actors
                    are a quantum leap above the original. Particularly good masks are the chimp
                    General Thade and the elderly orangutan senator (with cheek pouches and
                    dewlap). Tim Roth really moves like a mad alpha chimp, with some leaping
                    stunts that suggest "Crouching Monkey, Hidden Gorilla."

                    The tacked-on "surprise" ending should have remained on the cutting room
                    floor. Unlike the brilliant "Statue of Liberty" scene from the original film,
                    it does not reinforce the story and even seems to contradict much of the
                    premise. (This is not a spoiler, everybody knew there would  be a surprise
                    ending and I've given no details, just the opinion that I didn't like it.)

                    All in all, the film is worth seeing for the visual impact, but don't think
                    about it too much.

                    Randall
                  • Susan Stringer
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 29 1:54 PM
                      There is a lot in the Chattanooga/Nashville/Atlanta area. You start up
                      North and it seems to fizzle out. We attended Forry Ackerman's Monster Con
                      in Virginia in 1993 and were quite statled at the COMPLETE lack of hall
                      costumes. My wife and I were the ONLY costumers in sight until the
                      masquerade. There were about 20 or so outfits in the show. Of mostly
                      high-quality.
                      I hall costumed my Predator and our Metaluna Mutant. We were actually
                      asked by an attendee why we were wearing costumes. I thought sadly to
                      myself, "Dude, you gotta come a little farther down SOUTH!"
                      Gristle P.

                      > > >Ok guys, since we have a large geographical base on this list, can
                      anyone

                      > There's certainly plenty of it here in Arizona.
                      >
                      > Lots of trek uniforms, SCA/Ren, belly dancer, face painters, RP gaming
                      clubs
                      > who have developed their own uniforms, and many wholly original looks.
                      >
                      > On behalf of SWCG and the masquerade directors, I make Hall Costume
                      > Appreciation Award ribbons that SWCG members hand out during the cons.
                      (I'll
                      > have to write a CQ article about these sometime soon.)
                      >
                      > I'm proud of the ones I just made for Coppercon 21 in September. These are
                      > modeled after a military medal and use a belly-dancing faux coin for the
                      > medal, with a blue ribbon printed with "Coppercon 21 Hall Costume Award"
                      and
                      > contact information for SWCG. The medalion is stamped with a crowned
                      liberty
                      > head, like 19th century US coins. I explain this is really an image of
                      > Glitziana in her numismatic aspect.
                      >
                      > The reaction to these awards is varied. Most recipients understand our
                      > intentions and enjoy the token of esteem. Some are confused. Others simply
                      > have unusual tastes in clothes and did not intend to do a hall costume.
                      >
                      > We have a running joke with one cross-dressing friend that his evening
                      > dresses are his regular clothes, so they don't count as a costume unless
                      he
                      > does something special. He received his hall costume award for an indian
                      sari
                      > this spring.
                      >
                      > Some of the hall costumes are very good indeed. When I run the masquerade,
                      > send out press gangs to convince these people to show the costumes on
                      stage.
                      > These are small local cons, so hall costomes come across well on the
                      ballroom
                      > stage.
                      >
                      > Randall

                    • C. D. Mami
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 30 1:25 AM
                        Hello
                        I have been reading and wondering if I am the only one that has had this
                        thought
                        Costumers wear hall costumes to attract other costumers
                        Sort of a mating dance to attract those out there who understand and along
                        the way as the quote goes"you got to kiss a lot of horny toads before you
                        get a prince"
                        I would be surprised if any one wears a costume with the hope that the
                        mundane world would get it.
                        If I am wrong I am sorry but the thrill is one of your peers asking who what
                        where about your costume not some iddot asking if you are buffallo bill.
                        On stage is different you are there to please the masses, to hear the roar
                        of the crowd and to act humble as you leave with best in show.
                        As I said it is just my thought with that thought written I will go back to
                        scanning photos
                        Carl
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 30 6:09 AM
                            That's huge by northeastern standards, too. Arisia and Lunacon
                            masquerades are <large> at 30 entries!

                            Byron

                            >>> bbriant@... 07/28/01 11:58PM >>>
                            Alix--

                            >> This year, the masquerade was on the small
                            side; maybe forty presentaions; other years it's closer to sixty. Very
                            few
                            of the people competing in the masquerade wear those costumes in the
                            hallway
                            before the masquerade<<

                            Count your blessings. 40 entries would be a huge masquerade in the
                            greater Los Angeles area! And 60? Maybe for a Worldcon, but only then.

                            Bruce B.

                            "It's kind of neat to do the impossible."
                            Walt Disney
                          • Elaine Mami
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 30 6:44 AM

                              >On behalf of SWCG and the masquerade directors, I make Hall Costume
                              >Appreciation Award ribbons that SWCG members hand out during the cons. Some
                              >of the hall costumes are very good indeed. When I run the masquerade, I
                              >send out press gangs to convince these people to show the costumes on
                              >stage.

                              Exactly! Whenever I can, whether I am handing out hall costume awards or
                              just admiring the costumes, I try to use the opportunity to encourage folks
                              to put their work on stage for everyone to enjoy. To me, hall costuming has
                              always been a chance to proselitize for the masquerade. For some folks, all
                              they need is a little encouragement to enter.

                            • Bruce & Nora Mai
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 30 7:40 AM
                                I think you might be on to something here, Carl. We dress to attract kindred
                                spirits, people who enjoy and appreciate the same things we do. Even when
                                not looking for a "mate" or "partner" we're still looking for friends;
                                people that we can relate to, who understand our point of view (or at least
                                our demented hobby). Sometimes, the costume will attract someone who isn't a
                                costumer.....yet! For the same reasons, too.

                                Nora

                                Bruce and Nora Mai
                                Different Stuff -- same Nonsense: Casa Mai!
                                http://casamai.com
                              • randwhit@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 30 8:34 AM
                                  In a message dated 7/30/01 1:27:44 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
                                  cdmami@... writes:

                                  > I have been reading and wondering if I am the only one that has had this
                                  > thought
                                  > Costumers wear hall costumes to attract other costumers

                                  You've hit the nail on the head. Everyone enjoys peer appreciation.

                                  Randall
                                • bruno@armyofdorkness.org
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 30 9:29 AM
                                    I was at Wester this year and I did feel that Hall costumes and Masquerade
                                    were lighter than I'd imagined them to be.

                                    Bruno

                                    bruce briant writes:

                                    Westercon in Portland, OR had a smallish masquerade with a good turnout
                                    of interesting costumes. Hall costumes seemed a little light to
                                    me--anybody else go to Westercon this year?
                                  • Lisa A Ashton
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 30 9:58 AM
                                      I liked Randall's explanation of the sub-genres of geologist attire. I'm
                                      a PA in an Emergency Department, and we have sub-genres too, we don't all
                                      wear scrubs--many of us just wear them during night shifts. It would be
                                      interesting to hear from people whose professions have gneres of
                                      clothing.

                                      Yours in costuming, Lisa A.
                                    • mscip@inreach.com
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 30 10:14 AM
                                        > From: "Susan Stringer" <thesusan@...>
                                        >
                                        > Ok guys, since we have a large geographical base on this list, can anyone
                                        > tell me if Hall Costuming is regional? Here in the South East, we have tons
                                        > of hall costumers. Far more than Masqueraders.

                                        In the Bay Area, it seems like we go through swings of hall costume versus no
                                        or little hall costumes. It seems like hall costumes is back on the upswing
                                        right now. Masquerade has dropped a little bit, and sometimes the hall costumes
                                        are paraded on the masquerade stage at half time to give hall costumers some
                                        recognition.

                                        Without some of the "big name" master class costumers participating anymore
                                        because of life and the universe, it seems like the masquerade numbers have gone
                                        down some.

                                        We need another big movie to help draw people in again.

                                      • mscip@inreach.com
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 30 10:17 AM
                                          > From: bruce briant <bbriant@...>
                                          >
                                          > Westercon in Portland, OR had a smallish masquerade with a good turnout
                                          > of interesting costumes. Hall costumes seemed a little light to
                                          > me--anybody else go to Westercon this year?

                                          Yep, I did. I worked the green room. The masquerade was rather light there, but
                                          had some fun costumes. I saw very little hall costuming, myself. Then again,
                                          it's hard to know where to show off your costume when you have two hotels.

                                          I wonder if a main convention center would have made a difference?

                                        • mscip@inreach.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 30 10:21 AM
                                            > From: Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@...>
                                            >
                                            > bruce briant wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > --anybody else go to Westercon this year?
                                            >
                                            > Yes.
                                            >
                                            > > Westercon in Portland, OR had a smallish masquerade with a good
                                            > > turnout
                                            > > of interesting costumes.
                                            > >
                                            > When you could see them. I was 1/3 of the way back in the
                                            > audience and couldn't see the way too low stage at all. Plus the
                                            > techs kept turning off the lights (complete black) as soon as the
                                            > costumes started to head down the T to leave the stage, negating
                                            > the advantage of the costumes walking through the audience and
                                            > out a back door.

                                            Lisa:

                                            A spot *blinds* a costumer, so the spot was turned off so the costumers could
                                            see to go down the stairs. It's hard enough to go down the stairs in big feet,
                                            but blind also would make it too much. Even with stair ninja.

                                            As to the height of the stage, sometimes you have physical limitations such as
                                            what the hotel can provide, room setup, and money available.

                                            If people want comments about the WesterCon masquerade from behind-the-scenes,
                                            I'm willing to correspond offline.

                                          • Petra-neferu-nu-nebt-s
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 30 1:27 PM
                                              > in Virginia in 1993 and were quite statled at the COMPLETE lack of hall
                                              > costumes. My wife and I were the ONLY costumers in sight until the
                                              > masquerade. There were about 20 or so outfits in the show. Of mostly
                                              > high-quality.

                                              In the Calgary area, there are no hall costumes at our one little local
                                              con. It seems to be thought 'uncool' to wear costumes, although there are
                                              plenty of the I-will-wear-tight-black-PVC-despite-my-weight girls, and
                                              'cool' guys in black trenchcoats. Nothing but the vampire vixens and
                                              nightcrawler types. *shudder*

                                              The costume contest gets a half-dozen entries (maybe) in a good year. It
                                              seems to be dying out here.

                                              Pam
                                            • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 30 9:08 PM
                                                Carole -

                                                First off, I've been a costumer for years. Actually, I'm blind
                                                the entire time I'm on a stage due to extreme near sightedness.
                                                What's a spot light <g>? So been there, done that. I know what a
                                                lot of the problems of setting up a stage entail.

                                                I also talked to several of the costumers after the show. Blinded
                                                by the spot was not a big problem. I did hear a complaint of
                                                darkness preventing a view of the steps. The alternate, done
                                                once, with the spot aimed to the ceiling gave the audience light
                                                and didn't shine in the eyes of the contestants. The audience
                                                cheered, so they didn't do it again, of course. Also they turned
                                                on the houselights, again briefly, again we cheered, again we
                                                were ignored and the houselights were turned off.

                                                Many people left the masquerade after about 15 minutes of not
                                                seeing things. I can tell you, a hell of a lot of people did not
                                                see this year's Westercon, even those who waited three hours in
                                                the line! That was really annoying to a lot of fans who are
                                                costume appreciators.

                                                Suppose we gave a masquerade that no one could see? Then you
                                                understand why the masquerade will lose popularity. And no one
                                                will costume for it. Why work for months for something that is
                                                unseen by most of your audience?

                                                Viewablilty by the audience must always be a major consideration
                                                when setting up the Masquerade, especially at the general cons.
                                                Otherwise, why hold it? Before you costumers get up in arms,
                                                think about that question seriously. Do you want the fans to see
                                                your costumes in the best light possible by the largest general
                                                audience? That is why you are trotting it out at a Westercon,
                                                Worldcon, (fill in the blank), isn't it? Otherwise, you could
                                                just do your thing at CostumeCon and have only other costumers
                                                appreciate it.

                                                Just the two cents of someone who usually hall costumes and sits
                                                in the audience at the big staged events.

                                                Yours in service to fandom

                                                Lisa

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 31 6:34 AM
                                                  1. Pleasing the audience always is the first priority. It's the only
                                                  reason to hold the event. We're doing it for them, not for us.

                                                  2. Safety of the participants and the audience always is the next
                                                  priority.

                                                  3. Impressing the judges is a poor third.

                                                  Byron

                                                  >>> lisa@... 07/31/01 12:08AM >>>
                                                  Carole -

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                                                    As far as the amount of hall costuming done, here at Archon, it really
                                                    depends on the circumstances. Friday night, when a lot of parties are
                                                    going on, a dance, etc., we seem to see an number of hall costumes and they
                                                    get awarded. Saturday and Sunday, there are some hall costumes, but I'd
                                                    have to say not nearly so many. I mostly see our own members in costume,
                                                    but that's probably because I'm hanging out with our group.

                                                    It used to be you'd see a lot of hall costumes in the audience for the Masq,
                                                    years ago, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

                                                    Bruce

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                                                      Dear Carl:

                                                      >Hello
                                                      >I have been reading and wondering if I am the only one that has had this
                                                      >thought
                                                      >Costumers wear hall costumes to attract other costumers

                                                      This sort of thing works. We were at Toronto Trek about five years ago.
                                                      I was working the masquerade registration table. I was sitting at the
                                                      table wearing one of my Mucha dresses and a tonne of beads, etc. on my head.
                                                      Very few people saw the signs telling them that the room had the
                                                      masquerade registration, but everyone going past saw the headdress and
                                                      wondered in; we even got a few more people in the masquerade once they
                                                      realized that we weren't restricting the masquerade to Star Trek uniforms.

                                                      Peace
                                                      Alixandra
                                                      eddana@...