Master and Commander

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2003
      Hello All:

      We just got back from seeing the movie. As my friend Jane said, wow!

      I saw no obvious continuity errors. No grubby outfits in one scene and
      then sparkling clean in the next scene. It is, however, bloody. You get
      a real sense of the miracle of survival on those military ships. For
      those that get queasy, they show an amputation, but it's done with
      careful camera angles. You don't see the arm actually getting cut off,
      but you know that that is what is happening.

      I also found out something interesting. Like the good English doctor, I
      thought iguanas were land animals that did not swim. Well, this movie
      puts the lie to that.

      M&C is still on the large screen in our area, and it is definitely
      worth a "go see!" Especially if you can manage to see it on the large
      screen. The military historians in the group will appreciate it fully.

    • Andrew T Trembley
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2003
        Carole Parker wrote:
        > I also found out something interesting. Like the good English doctor, I
        > thought iguanas were land animals that did not swim. Well, this movie
        > puts the lie to that.

        There are several different species of iguana. Most species of iguanas
        (including the Giant Green Iguana--Iguana Iguana--that most people think
        of) are primarily land-dwelling, but there are colonies of marine
        iguanas in the Galapagos.

        I've got a friend who does Iguana rescue. They're actually incredibly
        high-maintenance pets, with somewhat complex dietary needs and not
        suited to tank living.

        andy
      • randwhit@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
          In a message dated 11/30/03 10:57:38 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
          mscip@... writes:

          > We just got back from seeing the movie. As my friend Jane said, wow!

          I saw the film last week and enjoyed it very much.

          I've read the first 11 of 20 books in the series. The film captures their
          spirit very well, though the story was simplified and moved back in time a few
          years to make it more practical to film. Moving the time setting from 1812 to
          1805 also necessitated making the adversary a french privateer (a bloody big one
          at 44 guns), rather than a US Navy light frigate.

          The screen writers also borrowed some dialog and naval strategy tricks from
          other books in the series, all to good effect.

          Randall