Re: Large cash prizes

  • Cat Devereaux
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 3, 2003
      >>> The judging criterion appears to be, "Who brought the most
      people who bought
      > the most drinks?"

      And / Or, who is showing the most skin.

      When they did a big cash prize costume contest at the Universal
      Ampitheater a number of years ago... it was something like a 10k
      prize, all the radio stations advertised it.

      People for the contest pulled out about 2 dozen folk out of the
      audience and were directed to a backstage area. There already were
      a couple of folks there who never had been part of the general
      group. Of course, guess who the prizes went to?

      Oh, and the wining entry... The guy wearing Boies outfit
      from "Labreth". This wasn't a recreation. This was one of
      the "real" costumes.

      Needless to say, last time that was done.

      That's all there is to the rules. I'm on their press list... and
      when I query, I keep getting the same form.... with price and age
      corrections. So, it's going to be a free for all with pre-picked
      categories.

      On the other hand, I bet there's going to be some wonderfully cool
      costumes there.

      -Cat-
    • Lay, Toni
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 3, 2003
        I've never entered a masquerade or costume contest, except at a convention.
        If I had a mind to, I don't think I would enter one given at a bar. The
        mentality at most bars leaves much to be desired. But a costume contest
        given by a major department or specialty store, may spark my interest.

        Toni
      • Dana MacDermott
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 4, 2003
          Many years ago (1983), I took/wore my four breasted cat lady (which was my
          first Con costume) to the New Years eve "Hooker's Ball" in San
          Francisco. I won $350, but had to endure not only the same question (which
          ones are real?) that I got at the Cons (WesterCon and later LACon), but
          also pokes and prods. I should have had a body guard. It was, however, a
          case of taking the right costume to the right venue.
          We took some of the proceeds and took the family out to a very special
          dinner at what was then one of the area's top restaurants (Narsai's). We
          told the kids that they would not only have to enjoy themselves, but would
          have to remember it for the rest of their lives.
          So far, they do.

          I have also experienced taking a good costume to an unappreciative
          audience. I did a Queen Esther and King Ahasuerus couple of costumes for a
          Mensa Purim Party, and got beat out in the historical division to a gold
          faced King Tut. Huh? Mine was researched, as well as appropriate for the
          Holiday. So much for intellectual.
          Dana
        • Scott & JoAnn Abbott
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 4, 2003
            I did Queen Esther for a fall Fest at my church a few years back- the theme was come as your favorite Bible Character. I was asked if I was Jezebel.....*sigh*.

            JoAnn in VA
            I have also experienced taking a good costume to an unappreciative
            audience. I did a Queen Esther and King Ahasuerus couple of costumes for a
            Mensa Purim Party, and got beat out in the historical division to a gold
            faced King Tut. Dana

          • Dawn McKechnie
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 4, 2003
              >From: "Cat Devereaux" <CatDevereaux@...>
              >To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [ICG-D] Re: Large cash prizes
              >Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 07:09:31 -0000

              >And / Or, who is showing the most skin.

              Once as a joke, my roomate and I found a way around this. :D A mutual friend
              of ours from our art college owns a bronzecasting buisness. Basically he
              "immortalizes" people in bronze. Nude people, (with enough money to pay for
              thier own raw form in bronze.) He also features life drawings and such other
              things. We meet many models thru his studio. Several of these models also
              make money stripping.
              So October of one year a new club, (a supposedly clean, trendy, "dance"
              club. *chuckles*), opened in the area and several of the girls invited us
              because they were having a $500.00 cash prize for best costume on halloween
              eve.

              so....

              Hey when everyone is nude, nudity doesn't play so well. ;)
              LOL! It's not something I'd recommend as a rule, but *laughs* admittedly it
              wasn't bad.
              Clean, non smoking, suprisingly not trashy, free drinks, nice bouncers and
              $500 cash.
              So that's it. My deep dark secret.

              >-Cat-

            • Dawn McKechnie
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 4, 2003
                >From: "Kevin Roche" <kevin@...>
                >To: <ICG-D@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: Re: [ICG-D] Re: Large cash prizes
                >Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:28:58 -0700

                >I generally avoid even little bar competitions. They are usually judged by
                >applause. Costume quality has little to do with the winners. Since that
                >isn't the way I like to be judged, I don't enter. Saves me the energy of
                >getting upset ;-)
                >
                >Kevin

                Kevin,
                (and to all of you who have posted similar thoughts here), I belive as
                deep down in the soul costumers, we all are destine to have a story of this
                nature, and they always rankle don't they? Most of us have most likely met
                and perhaps even lost to, a costume which we consider, er.. or would like
                not to consider.

                My personal harsh defeat came at the hands of a man dressed as a pygmy with
                elephantiasis of the scrotum. *insert longsuffering sigh here*.

                It was one of my, "why is this happening to me?" days. *sheepish grin*

                Cheers!

              • Ricky & Karen Dick
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 5, 2003
                  At 12:03 AM 10/5/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                  >Kevin,
                  > (and to all of you who have posted similar thoughts here), I belive as
                  >deep down in the soul costumers, we all are destine to have a story of this
                  >nature, and they always rankle don't they? Most of us have most likely met
                  >and perhaps even lost to, a costume which we consider, er.. or would like
                  >not to consider.

                  OK, here's my story: I lost a fannish costume competition once to...a GOAT.

                  When he was very young, his handlers had surgically moved his horn cores
                  together to form a single horn in the center of his forehead. So they
                  billed him as "Lancelot the Unicorn" and taught him how to do tricks like a
                  dog (sit, lie down, roll over, etc.).

                  So, in a S/F convention costume competition in the Bay area, out come the
                  handlers (who were dressed in motley that was somewhere between hippie and
                  SCA field garb, nothing to write home about), and brought out the goat
                  (which was still very young and cute), and had it do its tricks...AND WON
                  BEST IN SHOW.

                  Pissed off doesn't even begin to describe my sentiments. My costume aside,
                  there were other deserving people in that competition who expected to be
                  judged on their costumes, not on the performances of their pets.

                  Later, the handlers hooked up with Ringling Brothers, Barnum, and Bailey,
                  and a whole edition of RBB&B was touring featuring the grown-up Lancelot
                  (or one of his kin), the "Living Unicorn." I just could not bring myself to
                  go to the circus that year.

                  Other "cash prize" competition stories, all from the mid- to late- 70's:

                  The large radio station Halloween party in 1978 that drew thousands of
                  participants. Most of the costumes were rented. The top winner for the
                  evening was the person who built a framework out of chicken wire, covered
                  it with aluminum foil, and came as the "KFMB Rock" (mascot of the radio
                  station). Other costumes of note: someone in a motorized wheelchair who
                  decorated it up as a surrey (yes, with fringe on top), and someone with a
                  glowing fiber optic suit that made him look like a futuristic human
                  porcupine (I felt sorry for him because he had to be plugged into an
                  electric socket and only had a 6' extension cord, so he was stuck by a wall
                  all evening). I was wearing one of my "how does that stay on?!!" S/F
                  costumes, and some uncouth person came running across the lobby and flipped
                  up my skirt to see if I was wearing underwear (I was). That just
                  demonstrated the difference between the general public and fandom--no
                  matter how little I wore at a fannish event, nobody *ever* tried to lay
                  hands on me or my clothing without my permission.

                  I came in second place at a San Diego bar party to someone who had done a
                  killer "Snoopy in his Sopwith Camel" costume. It had major problems
                  maneuvering around the room (imagine a "furry" suit with 4' airplane wings
                  sticking out both sides). But Snoopy definitely deserved the top prize.

                  My boyfriend and I came in second place at the costume competition at the
                  Logan's Run movie premiere at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood. Got
                  newspaper coverage and everything. (The theme there was to come dressed
                  futuristically. A lot of San Diego and L.A. area former S/F competition and
                  Futuristic Fashion Show costumes showed up that day, LOL!) My favorite
                  costume was a very tall, thin warrior type dressed all in mylar armor, with
                  a crested/mohawk helmet that made him seem even taller and more alien. I
                  don't think he won anything, which is a shame--he was one of the more
                  inventive costumes I saw there. I even thought of giving him my prize, as I
                  thought he was more deserving than we were, but he had disappeared into the
                  crowd and I never saw him again. I do have a photo of him in the costume
                  line-up (taken by a friend and given to me years later), and he is as
                  wonderful as I remembered.

                  After those experiences, I kinda gave up on the non-fannish cash prize type
                  competitions. Whatever I wore ended up being lumped in with the rental
                  stuff (as it was considered "too good" to be homemade), and I always lost
                  out to something that was obviously homemade (like the KFMB Rock).

                  --Karen
                • randwhit@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 5, 2003
                    In a message dated 10/5/2003 9:27:32 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
                    castleb@... writes:

                    > OK, here's my story: I lost a fannish costume competition once to...a GOAT.

                    That's odd. Normally a young goat would compete in the KIDS DIVISION.

                    Randall

                  • Ricky & Karen Dick
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 5, 2003
                      LOLOL!!!

                      (I will kill you later.) :-)

                      --Karen

                      At 12:51 PM 10/5/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                      >In a message dated 10/5/2003 9:27:32 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
                      >castleb@... writes:
                      >
                      > > OK, here's my story: I lost a fannish costume competition once to...a GOAT.
                      >
                      >That's odd. Normally a young goat would compete in the KIDS DIVISION.
                      >
                      >Randall

                    • Lady Kareena Sartek
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 5, 2003
                        I have taken my costumes, or when son wore costumes (ones we made)
                        for Halloween and we entered places and win cash prizes or whatever.
                        Then again, like at one bar near me, I wore my Centauri costume,
                        which people liked, but when came to the juding they depended on
                        applause of audience, which was alot of drunken men and two skimpy
                        clad women, one in a harem costume (should have worn my Scherazade
                        one) and a cavewoma\en one that won. And there were couple great
                        costumes there. It always depends. . .
                        Pam

                        > Many years ago (1983), I took/wore my four breasted cat lady
                        (which was my
                        > first Con costume) to the New Years eve "Hooker's Ball" in San
                        > Francisco. I won $350, but had to endure not only the same
                        question (which
                        > ones are real?) that I got at the Cons (WesterCon and later LACon),
                        but
                        > also pokes and prods. I should have had a body guard. It was,
                        however, a
                        > case of taking the right costume to the right venue.
                        > We took some of the proceeds and took the family out to a
                        very special
                        > dinner at what was then one of the area's top restaurants
                        (Narsai's). We
                        > told the kids that they would not only have to enjoy themselves,
                        but would
                        > have to remember it for the rest of their lives.
                        > So far, they do.
                        >
                        > I have also experienced taking a good costume to an
                        unappreciative
                        > audience. I did a Queen Esther and King Ahasuerus couple of
                        costumes for a
                        > Mensa Purim Party, and got beat out in the historical division to a
                        gold
                        > faced King Tut. Huh? Mine was researched, as well as appropriate
                        for the
                        > Holiday. So much for intellectual.
                        > Dana
                      • Lady Kareena Sartek
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 5, 2003
                          This does happens in masqurades too, you know. The costumer who beats
                          out good made ones. Yes, it does. So not just in the Mundane
                          world. . .
                          Pam
                          PS As my hubby says, just go and do it, have fun and don't expect tot
                          win. Even if you don't if you had fun doing it, then sometimes that's
                          the rewardss. But it does still rankle, something I don't tell hubby.
                          That's my deep dark secret. LOL

                          > >From: "Kevin Roche" <kevin@t...>
                          > >To: <ICG-D@yahoogroups.com>
                          > >Subject: Re: [ICG-D] Re: Large cash prizes
                          > >Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:28:58 -0700
                          >

                          > >I generally avoid even little bar competitions. They are usually
                          judged by
                          > >applause. Costume quality has little to do with the winners. Since
                          that
                          > >isn't the way I like to be judged, I don't enter. Saves me the
                          energy of
                          > >getting upset ;-)
                          > >
                          > >Kevin
                          >

                          > Kevin,
                          > (and to all of you who have posted similar thoughts here), I
                          belive as
                          > deep down in the soul costumers, we all are destine to have a story
                          of this
                          > nature, and they always rankle don't they? Most of us have most
                          likely met
                          > and perhaps even lost to, a costume which we consider, er.. or
                          would like
                          > not to consider.
                          >
                          > My personal harsh defeat came at the hands of a man dressed as a
                          pygmy with
                          > elephantiasis of the scrotum. *insert longsuffering sigh here*.
                          >
                          > It was one of my, "why is this happening to me?" days. *sheepish
                          grin*

                          > Cheers!

                        • Lady Kareena Sartek
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 5, 2003
                            Better than being an 'old goat'! LOL
                            Pam

                            :
                            > LOLOL!!!
                            >
                            > (I will kill you later.) :-)
                            >
                            > --Karen
                            >
                            > At 12:51 PM 10/5/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                            > >In a message dated 10/5/2003 9:27:32 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
                            > >castleb@p... writes:
                            > >
                            > > > OK, here's my story: I lost a fannish costume competition once
                            to...a GOAT.

                            > >That's odd. Normally a young goat would compete in the KIDS
                            DIVISION.

                            > >Randall

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                          • Trudy Leonard
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 5, 2003
                              Thank you, Karen! We've been waiting for someone to save us and do him in.

                              Trudy

                              >From: Ricky & Karen Dick <castleb@...>
                              >To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: Re: [ICG-D] Re: Large cash prizes
                              >Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 15:21:28 -0400
                              >
                              >LOLOL!!!
                              >
                              >(I will kill you later.) :-)
                              >
                              >--Karen
                              >
                              >At 12:51 PM 10/5/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                              > >In a message dated 10/5/2003 9:27:32 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
                              > >castleb@... writes:
                              > >
                              > > > OK, here's my story: I lost a fannish costume competition once to...a
                              >GOAT.
                              > >
                              > >That's odd. Normally a young goat would compete in the KIDS DIVISION.
                              > >
                              > >Randall

                              High-speed Internet access as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local
                              service providers in your area). Click here. https://broadband.msn.com
                            • Lay, Toni
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 6, 2003
                                See, I WOULD have come as Jezebel.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 6, 2003
                                  on 10/6/03 10:29 AM, Lay, Toni at toni@... wrote:

                                  > See, I WOULD have come as Jezebel.
                                  >
                                  > Toni
                                  You! Never!!!
                                  Toni, I'd never expect that to come out of your mouth.
                                  Steph
                                • John O'Halloran
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 7, 2003
                                    Dana MacDermott wrote:

                                    > Many years ago (1983), I took/wore my four breasted cat lady (which was my
                                    > first Con costume) to the New Years eve "Hooker's Ball" in San
                                    > Francisco. I won $350, but had to endure not only the same question (which
                                    > ones are real?) that I got at the Cons (WesterCon and later LACon), but
                                    > also pokes and prods. I should have had a body guard. It was, however, a
                                    > case of taking the right costume to the right venue.

                                    It's amazing what having a Minder will do to calm the hordes.

                                    Chris & two friends toured one night at ConFrancisco as the Space
                                    Bimbos. Nothing too radical, but sexy and eye catching.

                                    The husband of one of the other ladies and I were their minders.
                                    Amazing how being with 3 feet (but not in direct line of sight) and a
                                    simple arm movement can stop someone in their tracks who are heading in
                                    for a "closer look."

                                    I've used the same techniques for other sexy costumes, media guests and
                                    even crowd control at a meet & greet after a theatre performance.

                                    JohnO
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 7, 2003
                                      At 03:12 PM 10/5/2003, you wrote:
                                      >This does happens in masqurades too, you know. The costumer who beats
                                      >out good made ones. Yes, it does. So not just in the Mundane
                                      >world. . .
                                      >Pam

                                      In my experience, at least, this only happens at cons when the judges are
                                      largely authors or BNFs. (and there are authors who are great judges; Terry
                                      Pratchett, C. J. Cherryh and others). When there are competent judges who
                                      actually care about the masquerade you usually have good judging and that,
                                      I think, is more common than not at most convention masquerades.

                                      Pierre

                                      >PS As my hubby says, just go and do it, have fun and don't expect tot
                                      >win. Even if you don't if you had fun doing it, then sometimes that's
                                      >the rewardss. But it does still rankle, something I don't tell hubby.
                                      >That's my deep dark secret. LOL
                                      >
                                      > > >From: "Kevin Roche" <kevin@t...>
                                      > > >To: <ICG-D@yahoogroups.com>
                                      > > >Subject: Re: [ICG-D] Re: Large cash prizes
                                      > > >Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:28:58 -0700
                                      > >

                                      > > >I generally avoid even little bar competitions. They are usually
                                      >judged by
                                      > > >applause. Costume quality has little to do with the winners. Since
                                      >that
                                      > > >isn't the way I like to be judged, I don't enter. Saves me the
                                      >energy of
                                      > > >getting upset ;-)
                                      > > >
                                      > > >Kevin
                                      > >

                                      > > Kevin,
                                      > > (and to all of you who have posted similar thoughts here), I
                                      >belive as
                                      > > deep down in the soul costumers, we all are destine to have a story
                                      >of this
                                      > > nature, and they always rankle don't they? Most of us have most
                                      >likely met
                                      > > and perhaps even lost to, a costume which we consider, er.. or
                                      >would like
                                      > > not to consider.
                                      > >
                                      > > My personal harsh defeat came at the hands of a man dressed as a
                                      >pygmy with
                                      > > elephantiasis of the scrotum. *insert longsuffering sigh here*.
                                      > >
                                      > > It was one of my, "why is this happening to me?" days. *sheepish
                                      >grin*
                                      > >
                                      > > Cheers!

                                      "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                                      Are Doomed To Repeat It;
                                      Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly--
                                      Why They Are Simply Doomed."

                                      -- C.Y. 4971