Re: Fashion shows in general... (Re: [ICG-D] fashion show host)

  • Andrew T Trembley
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2003
      Alix Jordan wrote:
      > Dear Andy:
      >
      >> All fashion show models attended a two-hour "movement workshop" after
      >> lunch to learn how to walk the catwalk, and present in a uniform way.
      >
      > Right. They had two hours of rehersal time, and likely trained for the
      > costumes that they were going to wear.

      Not quite; the workshop wasn't in costume (or rather, as it was College,
      in whatever costume the folks were wearing at the time, not what they
      were presenting) with a few sample capes and such for exercise. Still,
      it was something, and it worked.

      > What the models at Torcon had was
      > "come on down and try something on. Now, go away and be back at
      > seven-thirty. This was followed by "hey, you really don't need help with
      > your den, do you?"

      That's roughly what I saw.

      Each time I work or compete in a masquerade I learn a few more things
      about event operations. Sometimes I learn from others' successes.
      Sometimes I learn from others' mistakes.

      I learned a lot from TorCon.

      andy
    • Alix Jordan
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
        Dear Andy:

        I learned a lot from TorCon.

        Like Carl, you are a master of the elegant, understated phrase.

        Peace
        Alixandra
        eddana@...
      • Dawn McKechnie
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
          >From: "Alix Jordan" <eddana@...>

          > Linda was not satisfied with the fashion show set up..
          >She especially did not like the way in which Laurie Brown would have done
          >the announcing, since she wanted it done as a Paris fashion show; complete
          >with "cute" dialogue.

          It would have been a shame not to have Linda in the show. As far as Laurie's
          preference to use the "Paris fashion show" naration in the Salute To
          Canadian Costuming segment, I thought Linda would have known that is how it
          would be after your mutual long association with TT. That is Laurie's
          trademark style, and as someone pointed out previously in a similar thread,
          no MC is going to please everyone.

          BTW why is everyone so devoted to dwelling on distateful subjects such as
          what we didn't enjoy or appriciate at a con? :(

        • C. D. Mami
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
            A good question Dawn for some it is a way to see that those mistakes are not
            made again. We will have to come up with new ones.
            I say that every year and each year I find that they always come up with
            something new to amaze me.
            Carl
            Tradition is the excuse you use when you have no imagination

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
              Hello Dawn:

              On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 06:54 PM, Dawn McKechnie wrote:

              > BTW why is everyone so devoted to dwelling on distateful subjects such
              > as
              > what we didn't enjoy or appriciate at a con? :(

              The hope is that people will learn from this and not do it. That's why
              conventions and masquerades get post-mortemed.