Re: [ICG-D] Re: Costume displays at Torcon

  • Alix Jordan
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 5, 2003
      Dear Julie:

      what we're looking for is a Form 4457:
      > http://www.nicholsonprints.com/Articles/form4457.htm
      >
      > Most of the information I've found about this form relates to > traveling
      with electronics, hunting/fishing tackle, high-end sporting > equipment and
      the like. However, I suspect this would also be the > form to match up with
      your costume items (hence the need for a serial > number). I haven't yet
      contacted our customs office to find out if > I'm right.

      Blessings on you, and may your every costume take Best in Show, Most
      Beautiful, Audience Choice, and Best is Class...with the workmanship awards
      to go with them...all at the same convention!

      Peace
      Alixandra
      eddana@...
    • Alix Jordan
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 5, 2003
        Dear Andy:

        > We're not as concerned with getting costumes back to the USA. In most >
        cases, it's much easier for folks to return home with unusual personal >
        property than it is for foreigners to enter another country with > unusual
        personal property.

        Then you've got it easier than we do. We need to prove that we aren't
        selling it in the States, and that we didn't buy it in the States; and we've
        been doing this for over twenty years now.

        > We have been told in the past by Canada Customs and Canada Immigration >
        that in these cases we should obtain a letter from the Canadian >
        organization sponsoring the event, just in case the customs or
        > immigration officer chooses to be excessively diligent. If Barb calls >
        Kevin, he can work with her on the appropriate wording for the letter.

        As I've told several people, I am trying to get hold of Barb; when I can
        get hold of her is another matter, and if she is authorized to give out such
        a letter is another matter; so it it getting to anyone on time.

        Peace
        Alixandra
        eddana@...
      • Andrew Trembley
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 5, 2003
          On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 05:26 PM, Alix Jordan wrote:
          > Then you've got it easier than we do. We need to prove that we
          > aren't
          > selling it in the States, and that we didn't buy it in the States; and
          > we've
          > been doing this for over twenty years now.

          That is exactly the point, my dear.

          You, as a Canadian, can have a difficult time getting into the US, but
          probably have little difficulty returning home to Canada.

          We, as Americans, can have a difficult time getting into Canada, but
          have little difficulty returning home to the US.

          We need the letter from the convention as evidence to present to Canada
          Customs & Immigration to show that we're not planning to sell the
          costumes we're bringing, and we're not going to be working as
          entertainers while we're in Canada.

          --
          Andy Trembley, Bull-in-Drag
          The Bovine Illuminati (It's the Cows, Inc.)
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 5, 2003
            Dear Andy:

            > That is exactly the point, my dear.
            >
            > You, as a Canadian, can have a difficult time getting into the US, but
            > probably have little difficulty returning home to Canada.

            You don't know Canadian customs very well.

            Peace
            Alixandra
            eddana@...
          • Andrew Trembley
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 5, 2003
              On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 07:00 PM, Alix Jordan wrote:
              > Dear Andy:
              >
              >> That is exactly the point, my dear.
              >>
              >> You, as a Canadian, can have a difficult time getting into the US, but
              >> probably have little difficulty returning home to Canada.
              >
              > You don't know Canadian customs very well.

              I know Canadian customs from an American's viewpoint. This is why I'm
              asking for the letter that Customs and Immigrations suggested we get
              when traveling to meetings and events.

              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 5, 2003
                Dear Andy:

                > I know Canadian customs from an American's viewpoint. This is why I'm
                > asking for the letter that Customs and Immigrations suggested we get
                > when traveling to meetings and events.

                yes, but I'm talking about trying to spend large amounts of time trying
                to convince customs that you did not buy these costumes while on holiday;
                are not bringing them into Canada for re-sale; made them yourself; and that
                it is just a hobby. We get shafted at both points.

                Peace
                Alixandra
                eddana@...
              • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 5, 2003
                  May I make a suggestion? Americans - Make up a letterhead, use something
                  scanned from a progress report that will look "Official". You might want
                  to organize this enough to scan the same piece of "official" art work.
                  Write a letter and forge Barb's signature on it (remember to put your
                  initials after the signature, that way her "secretary" signed the letter
                  and all the signatures won't have to look the same). With Barb's
                  "Permission" of course so if they call Barb, she'll know about the
                  letters. But, if done correctly, it should go through just fine.

                  Remember, these are bureaucrats, who are just following laws. If you
                  look like you've dotted the Ts and crossed the Is, they will be happy
                  little campers and look for something more promissing to hassle.

                  And yes, crossing borders is a Pain and a Half. And costumes just makes
                  us look different enough to attract attention.

                  Luckily, last time I checked you don't look anything like an terrorist,
                  Andy. Though, according to Bush, you are definitely a threat to the
                  American Way of Life! We need more threats like you ;-) .

                  Mythically yours,
                  Lisa

                  Alix Jordan wrote:

                  > yes, but I'm talking about trying to spend large amounts of time trying
                  >to convince customs that you did not buy these costumes while on holiday;
                  >are not bringing them into Canada for re-sale; made them yourself; and that
                  >it is just a hobby. We get shafted at both points.

                • Ricky & Karen Dick
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 5, 2003

                    >I know Canadian customs from an American's viewpoint. This is why I'm
                    >asking for the letter that Customs and Immigrations suggested we get
                    >when traveling to meetings and events.

                    Hey Andy,

                    Don't cha just hate it when somebody falls short on the paper work?

                    BTW how're them ol' CC21 Masquerade certificates coming along LOL!!

                    Ricky