Re: Gandalf the White

  • rookwoods
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2003
      --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Lay, Toni" <toni@s...> wrote:
      Hi Toni-

      > I don't know if you've seen closeup photos of Gandalf's white
      outfit, but he
      > appears to be wearing three layers. A cape or outter coat of really
      nice
      > wool with a silver clasp and embroidery trim down the edges; a gown or
      > houppeland-like garment with a quilted bodice, and there appears to be a
      > lacy shirt under that.

      Actually he's got at least 4 layers. Sometimes he wears a grey
      wrap, he's got that lovely white cape/ruana, the quilted vest is a
      totally separate item, and then the houpeland thing with the baggy
      sleeves and a lighter weight robe with tight sleeves under that. Not
      sure if there's another sleeveless layer in between or not. and of
      course he has his white pants. Poor many must have died in all of
      those layers!
      -Judy Mitchell
    • Ricky & Karen Dick
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1 8:52 AM
        At 03:23 PM 7/31/2003 -0700, you wrote:
        >The costumes are one thing that few LotR fans
        >can complain about (though some are complaining about everything (I
        >ignore them)). :-P

        I just saw the one-sheet for Return of the King, and Aragorn finally has
        the right sword. It is the only plot point that has really vexed me about
        these three movies. You have to have the correct accessories, y'know. LOL!

        The costumes for LOTR are beautifully made, but very "typical" in
        style/silhouette. Then again, the LOTR books are what spawned fannish
        costuming and those archetypes, and now it has come around full circle.

        Personally, I love all the Elvish jewelry, which seems to be some really
        interesting cross between Art Nouveau and Celtic knotwork. But I can't
        afford even the replica stuff.

        --Karen