Re: [ICG-D] Digest Number 1177 Reading

  • MicheleSol@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2003
      I also read a lot and was ahead. In grade school, the library was arranged
      with 1-2 grade books on the lower two shelves and the 3-4 grade on the top two.
      I was the only 1st grader allowed to read the upper level books. I was ill
      a lot in my childhood including almost dying a few times. (twice from uremic
      bloodpoisoning, the second surgery fixed it) My mom would bring me books from
      the library 6-10 at a time. The local library also let me take out more than
      the normal limit. I plowed through all the fairy tales, fantasy and sf
      books. The Dr. Doolittle series was also a good one.

      I have packed away all the Dark Shadows, Man From Uncle, and James Bond
      books. I read Dune in 7th grade and thought nothing about walking around with a
      500+ page book. People thought I was crazy. I am no where near that now, but
      in the reading class when they did the SRA kind of thing and the testing, by
      the end I was reading about 600 words a minute when pushing. Well over 400 with
      very good comprehension. I also worked in the reading center which was nice,
      because we were taken with and got to help choose the books they had
      available.

      I have a bad habit of reading while eating. Probably not helping my
      waistline. I often read while watching TV. Last night I read until 1:50 and that
      wasn't a good thing. I paid for it today. I tend to multi-task, it's sometime
      hard to just sit and watch. I usually have it on in several rooms and am going
      back and forth doing things. The TV is usually on when I'm on the computer
      too.

      I read a lot when sick because I didn't used to start sleeping much until I
      turned the corner. I was home really sick and read Shogun in less than a week.
      I did the same thing with Noble house and a couple of others. I used to
      hate short stories because they were gone before I got the taste of them. Now,
      I'm buying them because they are good for lunch, don't keep you up and when you
      need to chill at work, you can hide in the bathroom and read a quick one.

      Can't remember if I sent this yesterday. I found the coupons and if you want
      free shipping from Fabric.com, type in YARD for the coupon. You are only
      supposed to use it on a first order, however, Linda said we could use it once.

      The rose garden is in, the arbor (or most of it) arrived today so I can get
      the last rosebush in by this weekend and the compost will be in tomorrow so I
      can start planting things.

      Well, the strawberries are gone and it's time to go to sleep.

      Michele