Re: [ICG-D] Getting scuffs off vinyl

  • Bruno
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
      Maral,

      Excellent question! I have a pair of tall white vinyl boots with thick black soles and they are very scuffed, mostly from tripping over my own feet :-) I've tried cleaning with a damp cloth and white shoe polish and neither worked.

      Bruno

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
        There's a solvent on the market (or there used to be) for removing scuff
        marks. You might want to visit a *good* shoe store near you and ask for
        advice. Or contact a shoe repair shop. Usually the people who work at these
        places are clueful enough to be able to help fix problems like that.

        You might also check at your nearby fabric or craft store, but this might be
        less fruitful.

        It's been decades since I owned vinyl boots, and I don't recall the name of
        the product I used to solve the problem way back when, but it was good, and
        didn't destroy the finish.

        YMMV,

        Betsy

        On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 07:48:38 -0600, Bruno wrote

        --
        Betsy R. Delaney
        Web Mistress at large

        www.WebInvent.com * www.Costume-Con.org * www.hawkeswood.com
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
          Kiwi makes an item called Scuff Zapper. Should be findable anyplace they
          sell Kiwi products. Haven't actually tried it yet. Got it because it was
          a small bottle. Good for packing. Claims it may dull a leather surface
          (because it removes the polish), but that shouldn't be true with vinyl.
          Petroleum product.

          Also have an item called Shoe Renew Patent Cleaner by Wohl Shoe Company
          which I got from a shoe repair store. Have used this and usually gets
          the marks off. Note - Damage to vinyl will still show. But at least the
          black part is removed. This is also a petroleum product.

          So yes, go to a place that has lots of shoe cleaning and polishing stuff
          and you should find something. Black Scuff Marks are a common problem.

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa

          Herself-the-Elf wrote:

          >Does anybody know how to get black marks off white vinyl? The surface of my
          >boots is undamaged, but there are a number of black marks (including from
          >when the elevator door closed on my foot...x.x;;) that I'd like to get rid
          >of.

        • Toker, Sue
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
            I haven't had a chance to test it but the orange baased cleaner, Goo-Gon (or
            something like it) might work and not be damaging to surfaces. I would test
            an area first to be sure.