Getting scuffs off vinyl

  • Herself-the-Elf
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
      Does anybody know how to get black marks off white vinyl? The surface of my
      boots is undamaged, but there are a number of black marks (including from
      when the elevator door closed on my foot...x.x;;) that I'd like to get rid
      of.

      -- Maral aka Sarcasm-hime

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
        Maral,

        Excellent question! I have a pair of tall white vinyl boots with thick black soles and they are very scuffed, mostly from tripping over my own feet :-) I've tried cleaning with a damp cloth and white shoe polish and neither worked.

        Bruno

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
          There's a solvent on the market (or there used to be) for removing scuff
          marks. You might want to visit a *good* shoe store near you and ask for
          advice. Or contact a shoe repair shop. Usually the people who work at these
          places are clueful enough to be able to help fix problems like that.

          You might also check at your nearby fabric or craft store, but this might be
          less fruitful.

          It's been decades since I owned vinyl boots, and I don't recall the name of
          the product I used to solve the problem way back when, but it was good, and
          didn't destroy the finish.

          YMMV,

          Betsy

          On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 07:48:38 -0600, Bruno wrote

          --
          Betsy R. Delaney
          Web Mistress at large

          www.WebInvent.com * www.Costume-Con.org * www.hawkeswood.com
        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
            Kiwi makes an item called Scuff Zapper. Should be findable anyplace they
            sell Kiwi products. Haven't actually tried it yet. Got it because it was
            a small bottle. Good for packing. Claims it may dull a leather surface
            (because it removes the polish), but that shouldn't be true with vinyl.
            Petroleum product.

            Also have an item called Shoe Renew Patent Cleaner by Wohl Shoe Company
            which I got from a shoe repair store. Have used this and usually gets
            the marks off. Note - Damage to vinyl will still show. But at least the
            black part is removed. This is also a petroleum product.

            So yes, go to a place that has lots of shoe cleaning and polishing stuff
            and you should find something. Black Scuff Marks are a common problem.

            Mythically yours,
            Lisa

            Herself-the-Elf wrote:

            >Does anybody know how to get black marks off white vinyl? The surface of my
            >boots is undamaged, but there are a number of black marks (including from
            >when the elevator door closed on my foot...x.x;;) that I'd like to get rid
            >of.

          • Toker, Sue
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
              I haven't had a chance to test it but the orange baased cleaner, Goo-Gon (or
              something like it) might work and not be damaging to surfaces. I would test
              an area first to be sure.