Re:tear-away costume

  • Janice Dallas
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2003
      I had to make a tear-away shirt for a play and a tear-away over-gown for
      an opera scene. I did both using velcro. For the shirt, I opened the
      seams of a bought shirt and closed them using thin 1/4"or 3/8" velcro (I
      cut it down from the regular stuff). Unfortunately, the actor doing the
      ripping got carried away one night and ripped the shirt in a non-seam
      area. With the over-dress I used a wider piece of velcro, since I'd
      made the outfit, and we did a lot of practicing. Still, the underarm
      seam opened one time, but it was easy to re-sew stronger. If you can
      make two, in case of disaster, I'd do it.
      --
      Janice Dallas
      Boston,MA area, USA