Re: [ICG-D] Re: New Simplicity Patterns

  • randwhit@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4 8:04 AM
      In a message dated 6/1/01 4:48:19 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
      bruno@... writes:

      > Wow! I just posted that msg. I've shown it to several people and we all
      > think it's a woman. Check out the eyebrows, they're pencilled on. Imagine
      > the face without the false beard. It's a woman.

      Shakespeare in Love: the Previous Generation?

      I received a letter a couple of weeks ago that McCalls has bought out
      Butterick.

      This probably makes no difference to the average customer, but it may make
      for some significant changes for wholesale purchasers. Butterick had been the
      only one of the Big Guys who was willing to sell me patterns at wholesale
      rates without making me purchase the honking big desk catalog.

      It still didn't work out, since their wholesale rate was higher than the
      loss-leader prices fabric stores offer at special event sales several times
      per year.

      Randall
    • Jeff & Susan Stringer
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 5 1:32 PM
        > It still didn't work out, since their wholesale rate was higher than the
        > loss-leader prices fabric stores offer at special event sales several
        times
        > per year.
        >
        > Randall

        I'm so glad to hear that someone else knows what a "Loss-Leader" is! I've
        overheard people in fabric stores complaining about the high costs of
        patterns and all but calling the fabric store clerks a bunch of thieves
        because they think that stores buy those patterns for just a dollar or two
        each. Those $1.99 pattern sales would always get me to make a special trip
        to the store and I used to buy lots of fabric to go with them because I KNEW
        the store was taking a loss on the patterns. Now that we are down to just
        the one Hancock's in town, they have raised the prices on all their
        merchandise. They no longer carry any of the cheep thread, the sale tables
        are a joke, and a full half of the store is Drapery and Home interior. I no
        longer feel sorry for them at all. Now I drive over there with my mother or
        a girl friend, I buy 5 patterns and she buys 5 patterns and we leave with 2
        different sizes of each of the patterns that I want. If I want more than 5
        styles, we go back the next day. I know that's horrid, but I lost my warm
        fuzzy feelings for Hancock's about 4 store managers ago.

        Hugs,
        Susan
      • bruno@armyofdorkness.org
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 5 4:46 PM
          Gee Susan,

          That sounds just like the Hancock's here in CO. There used to be a great
          store in San Antonio called Fabric Warehouse. They used to have great
          prices on strange and old stuff you couldn't find anywhere else. I now
          regret not picking up the 54" silver mylar when I had the chance for $1/yd.
          A few years ago it became Hancock's Fabric Warehouse and it now looks just
          like all the other Hancock's stores.

          Bruno

          Jeff & Susan Stringer writes:

          Now that we are down to just
          the one Hancock's in town, they have raised the prices on all their
          merchandise. They no longer carry any of the cheep thread, the sale tables
          are a joke, and a full half of the store is Drapery and Home interior.
        • Stephanie Carrigg
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 5 5:41 PM
            I was really lucky here in Boston. The local Joanne's Fabrics had all Simplicity patterns on sale for $.99 a few weeks ago. I picked up all the costume patterns that I wanted and then some.  I really liked how they got the lines right and pretty close to being period from the quick glance that I gave them.  I don't usually do heavy handed historicals so I'm psyched.

            Stephanie
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 29 9:20 AM
              Hey everybody--

              Way back on 6/1, Susan Stringer posted a message about new patterns from
              Simplicity (then Bruno (armyofdorkness, good one!) and Lisa and Janice,
              yadda-yadda-yadda).

              I used the "pants" pattern (slops! they're slops!) for the bottom half of
              a suit I made to go to a friend's fantasy Renaissance wedding, and it
              turned out great. I think it's a user-friendly pattern (the instructions
              are less so, but what the hey), although I was slightly taken aback at
              the realizatiion of how much fabric was involved.

              After building a Fantasy Fashions doublet for my top half, I read the
              Simplicity doublet instructions. While the directions are actually pretty
              good, this is not an attractive doublet and would require moderate to
              major tweaking. IMO, it is one step up from bad Halloween costuming.

              I think it's worth buying for the earlier Tudor doublet, but not for the
              Renaissance doublet.

              Bruce B.

              "It's kind of neat to do the impossible."
              Walt Disney

              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
            • bruno@armyofdorkness.org
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 29 11:05 AM
                I don't do much work from commercial patterns, but from what I have done.
                Simplicity, seems over simplify the instructions. Making it a little more
                difficult. The last McCalls I did had much better instructions than the
                Simplicity before that. The McCalls instructions were well written and
                easy to understand and follow.

                Bruno

                bruce briant writes:

                I think it's a user-friendly pattern (the instructions
                are less so, but what the hey),
              • Susan Stringer
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 30 4:19 AM
                  > I used the "pants" pattern (slops! they're slops!) for the bottom half of
                  > a suit I made to go to a friend's fantasy Renaissance wedding, and it
                  > turned out great. I think it's a user-friendly pattern (the instructions
                  > are less so, but what the hey), although I was slightly taken aback at
                  > the realization of how much fabric was involved.

                  Hi Bruce! I'm glad to hear that someone else has made them. I bought the
                  patterns, but haven't made anything from them yet. In my rental shop, we
                  call the "pants", "leggings" because rental clients in this area will not
                  wear "tights" and "slop's fo' hogs" so we just don't go there.

                  Wait until you guys see all the new "Renaissance" costumes that will be
                  commercially available this Halloween. They will make your purist hearts
                  quake in revolution. I'm stocking them because my clients are none to
                  bright and any long dress with laces on it and a funny hat must be
                  historical, even if it is made out of stretchy crushed velvet with vinyl
                  inserts to hold the laces. Once upon a time I kept my copy of "Pictorial
                  History" out where I could show people what was and was not correct for the
                  costumes they were choosing. After a few dozen dim witted high schoolers
                  mistreated my book, I hid it in the back before any of the pages were
                  severely damaged. Plus, most rental clients wouldn't be able to tell the
                  difference between Historically Correct and Cecil B. Demil (Spelling?) or
                  these mass produced Halloween costumes.

                  Hugs,
                  Susan
                • Lay, Toni
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 31, 2004
                    Simplicity has two new patterns that may be of interest to some:

                    #4900 1861-1865 Daywear: 2 blouses, skirt, and jacket. Sizes 10-26

                    #4923 "Captain Jack Sparrow" outfit; men's colonial daywear
                    (knickerbockers, vest, shirt). Sizes 30-48