Dragoncon

  • Alix Jordan
    Message 1 of 14 , May 8, 2003
      Gentlebeings:

      I checked out the Dragoncon masquerade photos. I body paint
      costumes were interesting. However, that's not what caught my attention.
      About two years ago, I was, very briefly, on another costuming list
      (can't even remember the name of it now.) I left because of the number of
      acid, very nasty comments that were being made concerning Worldcon costumes.
      According to a number of people, including the list owners, nothing at
      CostumeCon or Worldcon could even possibly compete at Dragoncon because none
      of them would be visible on stage. I tried to explain about Worldcon
      costumes, but they would not listen, and got very nasty and snide.
      Dragoncon was the be all and end all and heretics were not allowed. I quit
      the list. However, I did wonder about the size of the costumes, so I was
      very interested in finding out what they did look like.
      I found a number of very good costumes; a few really excellent
      costume; some that that the visibility of a clothes peg, once you got more
      than thirty feet away. In short, everything that I saw there could have
      easily competed at a Worldcon, and anything at a Worldcon con could very
      easily have competed at a Dragoncon. I begin to wonder if the people on
      that other list had ever even been to a Worldcon ...or for that matter if
      they had ever actually been to a Dragoncon.
      I don't know if I'll ever understand people.

      Peace
      Alixandra
      eddana@...

    • maladd
      Message 2 of 14 , May 8, 2003
        Dragon*Con does have a lot of really good costumes, but since they
        really don't run on ICG guidelines, some of the costumes are not made
        by the wearer (or friend/family of wearer).They don't do workmanship
        judging at Dragon*Con.

        If you want to see more of the D*C costumes go to:

        http://www.dragoncon.org/links.html

        -Mary Alice

        Message 3 of 14 , May 8, 2003
          Dear Mary Alice:

          Dragon*Con does have a lot of really good costumes, but since they
          >really don't run on ICG guidelines, some of the costumes are not made
          >by the wearer (or friend/family of wearer).They don't do workmanship
          >judging at Dragon*Con.

          that's what I'm saying, it has a lot of really good costumes, but it
          doens't have anything that is better, or more visible than you would find at
          a Worldcon. I'm simply saying that the people, on the other list, believed
          that nothing could beat a Dragoncon costume for size and visibility, and in
          actuality, costumes made for either one would work for the other...on a
          visibility basis.

          Peace
          Alixandra
          eddana@...

        • Herself-the-Elf
          Message 4 of 14 , May 8, 2003
            The main problem I had with Dragoncon re: masquerade was that the Dawn
            lookalike contest gives out a $1000 cash prize, but the winners of the
            Masquerade, which had *far* superior costumes, got nothing. Most of the
            Dawn competitors had obviously just grabbed various bits of lingerie out of
            their closets and painted their faces, whereas the Masquerade competitors
            had put months of work into their costumes. So I thought that was rather
            unfair...

            -- Maral

            > Dragon*Con does have a lot of really good costumes, but since they
            > >really don't run on ICG guidelines, some of the costumes are not made
            > >by the wearer (or friend/family of wearer).They don't do workmanship
            > >judging at Dragon*Con.
            > >
            > that's what I'm saying, it has a lot of really good costumes, but
            it
            > doens't have anything that is better, or more visible than you would find
            at
            > a Worldcon. I'm simply saying that the people, on the other list,
            believed
            > that nothing could beat a Dragoncon costume for size and visibility, and
            in
            > actuality, costumes made for either one would work for the other...on a
            > visibility basis.
            >
            > Peace
            > Alixandra
            > eddana@...

          • Trudy Leonard
            Message 5 of 14 , May 8, 2003
              Maral -

              The Dawn costumes vary in quality. Some are pretty sleazy, but some are
              quite good. The winner two years ago was a beautiful winged costume that
              really deserved the prize.

              The Dawn-look-alike costume came into being after the Bettie Page contest
              went by the wayside, due to financial troubles on the part of the sponsor,
              and withdrawal of permission by Ms Page after certain contest irregularities
              involving contestants and judging. Since the Con knew that women (and Phil)
              in scanty costumes was a sure draw, they had to come up with something to
              replace it - and along came Dawn!

              Trudy

              >From: "Herself-the-Elf" <herself-the-elf@...>
              >To: <ICG-D@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: Re: [ICG-D] Re: Dragoncon Costumes
              >Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 20:14:15 -0400
              >
              >The main problem I had with Dragoncon re: masquerade was that the Dawn
              >lookalike contest gives out a $1000 cash prize, but the winners of the
              >Masquerade, which had *far* superior costumes, got nothing. Most of the
              >Dawn competitors had obviously just grabbed various bits of lingerie out of
              >their closets and painted their faces, whereas the Masquerade competitors
              >had put months of work into their costumes. So I thought that was rather
              >unfair...
              >
              >-- Maral

            • Alix Jordan
              Message 6 of 14 , May 9, 2003
                Dear Maral:

                >The main problem I had with Dragoncon re: masquerade was that the Dawn
                >lookalike contest gives out a $1000 cash prize, but the winners of the
                >Masquerade, which had *far* superior costumes, got nothing.

                Again, another argument for staying away from big prizes.

                Peace
                Alixandra
                eddana@...

              • Ricky & Karen Dick
                Message 7 of 14 , May 9, 2003
                  Isn't the Dawn contest sponsors by the comic company?
                  If so, it's not like the con is screwing the other costumers really.

                  Ricky

                • bruno@armyofdorkness.org
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 9, 2003
                    It hasn't been mentioned yet, but there are a number of other costume
                    contest at DragonCon in addition to the Masquerade and the currently
                    discussed Dawn contest. There are also Miss Klingon Universe (or something
                    like that) and a Star Wars Costume Contest, that I am aware of. It seems
                    that each specialty niche of Fandom has it's own track of programming at
                    DragonCon and I really wouldn't be surprised if they each had their own
                    costume contest. Star Trek, Anime, Goth, etc.

                    Bruno

                    Ricky & Karen Dick writes:

                    Isn't the Dawn contest sponsors by the comic company?
                    If so, it's not like the con is screwing the other costumers really.

                    Ricky
                  • Charles Galway
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 9, 2003
                      There's sort of a rule in running a con (and other events no doubt). It won't really be important what the reason is for some sort of inequitability, the fans will blame "you" (the con-com, chair, et al). Particularly if it is a strongly noticeable inequitableness. If their "dawn" award were, say up at the same level as the BIS award prize, it wouldn't be so annoying.
                      Charles

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 9, 2003
                        I sent a few of these answere to Carl of line, but since there seems
                        to be a thread going here are some more links:

                        list of the contests:
                        http://www.dragoncon.org/panels/main.html#contests

                        Dawn Look a Like, which is judged by the comic artist (and I think
                        prizes are sponsered by his publisher)
                        http://www.dragoncon.org/people/linsnej.html
                        http://www.linsner.com/dawncontest.asp

                        Matters of the Force - Star Wars costume contest
                        Usually judged by any/all the Star Wars guests attending the con. Has
                        preset awards list and a Judge's Favorite-(This may be an individual
                        favorite that isn't mentioned in the above categories).

                        http://www.dm.net/~sf-motf/

                        Then there is the late night costume crawl in the Hayatt lobby. All
                        the groups that do theme/repro costume show off their costumes:Star
                        Wars, Lexx, Farscape, COBRA/GI Joe, Moulan Rouge, Aliens-Colonial
                        Marines, some nifty vac-u-form armour group (that I haven't a clue
                        what they are, but they look cool). Besides the groups, there a ton
                        of individual costumes. Everyone mills around taking photos, having
                        photos taken, and hoping that the fire marshall does not close down
                        the place for overcrowding.

                        -Mary Alice

                        --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, bruno@a... wrote:

                        > It hasn't been mentioned yet, but there are a number of other
                        costume> contest at DragonCon in addition to the Masquerade and the
                        currently discussed Dawn contest. There are also Miss Klingon
                        Universe (or something like that) and a Star Wars Costume Contest,
                        that I am aware of. It seems that each specialty niche of Fandom has
                        it's own track of programming at DragonCon and I really wouldn't be
                        surprised if they each had their own costume contest. Star Trek,
                        Anime, Goth, etc.

                        > Bruno
                        >
                        > Ricky & Karen Dick writes:
                        >
                        > Isn't the Dawn contest sponsors by the comic company?
                        > If so, it's not like the con is screwing the other costumers really.
                        >
                        > Ricky
                      • Bruce & Nora Mai
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 9, 2003
                          Without knowing the details, I suspect this was a sponsored event by the
                          creators.

                          Bruce

                          > The main problem I had with Dragoncon re: masquerade was that the Dawn
                          > lookalike contest gives out a $1000 cash prize, but the winners of the
                          > Masquerade, which had *far* superior costumes, got nothing. Most of the
                          > Dawn competitors had obviously just grabbed various bits of lingerie out
                          of
                          > their closets and painted their faces, whereas the Masquerade competitors
                          > had put months of work into their costumes. So I thought that was rather
                          > unfair...
                          >
                          > -- Maral

                        • Susan Toker
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 31, 2013
                            Some pictures from the Friday Workmanship Masquerade
                            http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/30/living/dragon-con-2013/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013
                              The article was interesting, too.

                              On Aug 31, 2013, at 1:10 PM, Susan Toker <susantoker@...> wrote:

                              > Some pictures from the Friday Workmanship Masquerade
                              > http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/30/living/dragon-con-2013/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
                            • ARD
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 16, 2013
                                Thank-you for posting this link, Sue!

                                CNN finally covered it -- DragonCon is literally 6 blocks away from the
                                CNN building in Atlanta. And I notice they covered the Ed Kramer problem
                                that DragonCon finally divorced itself from by reforming the corporation
                                away from him. Apparently his trial is in December.

                                DC is a lot of fun, but wow is it getting crowded and just about
                                impossible to get a room in one of the main hotels. I can get a ride to
                                it, so it's much cheaper than Worldcon (tho' I'm still going to London
                                next year).

                                The catch-phrase that I use for DragonCon is "Hall Costuming Heaven,
                                Masquerade Hell". I love hall costumes, but the costume contests at
                                DragonCon have the organizational level slightly more sophisticated than
                                a Halloween costume contest at a bar. Aurora Celeste had done some
                                notable work on upping their standards (I haven't seen any Main
                                Masquerade entries wearing their con badges for a few years) and, Hey, I
                                saw Marty Geer at DC -- he Fed-Exed his luggage to the hotel (he said is
                                made the airport experience so much nicer) and was a judge for at least
                                one or two Workmanship Costume Contests.

                                I won Best Master Level Costume for my Sister of The Flame costume from
                                the 4th-Doctor Who episode 'The Brain of Morbius'. This costume had been
                                on my 'repair' list for ages since the hot glue and bathing cap had
                                deteriorated since I made it in 1985. I did not go to the 'pre-judging'
                                listed in the program for this, but they were still accepting entries at
                                the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who Party and I filled out the form and
                                talked to the judges on a whim. One of them recognized the costume since
                                he had a copy of the episode on DVD.

                                I need to write this up for the Virtual Costumer .... give me a week or so.

                                On 9/1/2013 3:54 AM, ICG-D@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                                > 2a. Dragoncon
                                > Posted by: "Susan Toker"susantoker@... lynsepotter
                                > Date: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:10 pm ((PDT))
                                >
                                > Some pictures from the Friday Workmanship Masquerade
                                > http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/30/living/dragon-con-2013/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

                                It is now clear that the Krell** never invented an internet.
                                Because if they had, they would have known about that id problem.

                                **The Krell: the super-beings from the movie 'Forbidden Planet'
                                who destroyed themselves overnight after linking their minds to the
                                nearly unlimited energy source that powered their civilization and
                                unleashing the dark id lurking beneath their vast intellects.
                                - - Anne Davenport - - - - - - - - - - kjaneway@... - -