Re: [ICG-D] Half Time

  • Richard A. Hill
    Message 1 of 29 , May 1, 2003
      Gee Karen, You really shouldn't be so vague .. Tell me what you really think.
      ;-)

      thank you - I'd forgotten 3, 4 and 5 and was really trying to forget 1 and 2
      heh

      Still thinking -

      At 01:40 AM 5/1/2003, you wrote:
      >At 12:05 AM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
      > >Having said that, I really like your idea of a retrospective of best in
      > >show costumes as a half-time show at a Worldcon masquerade. Maybe at
      > >Noreascon 4, Richard?
      >
      >Guys, if we can't get the funds together to attend the con with something
      >new, what makes you think we can get the funds together to attend the con
      >with something old?
      >
      >Not to mention costumers from Best In Show entries that are now (1) dead,
      >(2) divorced from the spouse they did the group with, (3) not speaking to
      >the friends they did the group with, (4) too heavy to fit into the same
      >costumes they fit into at the time they made them (or kid members of the
      >group that outgrew the costume they wore), (5) no longer in possession of a
      >given set of costumes, etc. etc. etc.
      >
      >This is NOT a practical idea. NOT, NOT, NOT.
      >
      >Plus, if we are trying to encourage fresh costuming, why re-run the stuff
      >we've already done?
      >Most costumers are creative types, and (as Dana MacDermott puts it) "living
      >on the steep side of the learning curve," and looking ahead to the next
      >project. (I know *I* am.)
      >
      >To quote Animal X: "Favorite costume: The next one I'm making. Least
      >favorite costume: The one I just finished."
      >
      >To quote Cannonball Run: "What's behind me doesn't matter."
      >
      >I would suggest doing the retrospective on video, but most video,
      >especially from two decades ago, just doesn't do justice to the costumes.
      >Otherwise you could do what our local radio station used to do in San
      >Diego: they'd play one oldie, and then play another, and then have their
      >listeners vote as to which one was their favorite. The one with the most
      >votes would then be played again, and then another song, and then another
      >vote taken, etc.
      >
      >Just my two cents.
      >
      >--Karen (who is working on R&D for three more sets of costumes after being
      >inspired by CC-21)

    • Alix Jordan
      Message 2 of 29 , May 1, 2003
        Dear Byron:

        >I think you're over simplifying the situation. It is not true that
        >costumers have not been involved in senior non-masquerade positions at cons
        >other than Arisia and Lunacon.

        Penny Lipman is on the board of governers for Toronto Trek, as is
        Barb. Blue Sterling used to be in charge of displays. Laurie Brown did a
        turn running costuming programing.

        Peace
        Alixandra
        eddana@...

      • Ricky & Karen Dick
        Message 3 of 29 , May 1, 2003
          Having a video masquerade retro competition would sound like a good idea,
          but as we know most masq. videos suck.
          NOT the video guys fault, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find any BIS
          winners who truly feel their costumes look the way they'd like on video,
          especially in a competition.
          BUT, Masq videos are fun to watch, and a past greats video would be fun
          Halftime entertainment. AT Lunacon they play cartoons. Maybe they'd be all
          set to play costume videos instead.
          at CC its a natural, and would be a way for the newbies to sort of have
          access to the archives by seeing the stuff shown on a big screen once in a
          while.

          Don't run the full thing from any one show, but put together highlight reels.

          Carl, these ideas prove one thing.
          You're a good archivist. and I'm sure everyones gratefull to you for the
          ICG Archives, just as we are to Betsy for running the CC archives for Karen.

          but good archivists live with and dwell on the past, to protect our memories.
          and you do.

          but most of us in practice are already way past them and on to the next big
          thing.

          another quote from Animal X from the tape you made in the 80's,
          why do you do this? ...................Because I have to.

          Ricky
        • C. D. Mami
          Message 4 of 29 , May 1, 2003
            This something I have tried to do in the past but to do it takes the
            opinions of several people to make the show worth watching not just my ideas
            of whets good (not all had a best in show)
            Moving the archives to disk is making this type of show easier to do.
            I am working on a form of this for CC-22
            Had one for CC-21 but no time to show it.
            Did a small one for Arisia with Pierre & Sandy as the subjects
            as well as an interview tape.
            Carl
            > Having a video masquerade retro competition would sound like a good idea,
            > but as we know most masq. videos suck.
            > NOT the video guys fault, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find any
            BIS
            > winners who truly feel their costumes look the way they'd like on video,
            > especially in a competition.
            > BUT, Masq videos are fun to watch, and a past greats video would be fun
            > Halftime entertainment. AT Lunacon they play cartoons. Maybe they'd be all
            > set to play costume videos instead.
            > at CC its a natural, and would be a way for the newbies to sort of have
            > access to the archives by seeing the stuff shown on a big screen once in a
            > while.
            >
            > Don't run the full thing from any one show, but put together highlight
            reels.

            > Carl, these ideas prove one thing.
            > You're a good archivist. and I'm sure everyones gratefull to you for the
            > ICG Archives, just as we are to Betsy for running the CC archives for
            Karen.

            > but good archivists live with and dwell on the past, to protect our
            memories.
            > and you do.
            >
            > but most of us in practice are already way past them and on to the next
            big
            > thing.
            >
            > another quote from Animal X from the tape you made in the 80's,
            > why do you do this? ...................Because I have to.
            >
            > Ricky

          • Julie Zetterberg Sardo
            Message 5 of 29 , May 1, 2003
              --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Ricky & Karen Dick <castleb@p...> wrote:
              > Not to mention costumers from Best In Show entries that are now (1)
              dead,
              > (2) divorced from the spouse they did the group with, (3) not
              speaking to
              > the friends they did the group with, (4) too heavy to fit into the
              same
              > costumes they fit into at the time they made them (or kid members
              of the
              > group that outgrew the costume they wore), (5) no longer in
              possession of a
              > given set of costumes, etc. etc. etc.

              (6) people who were part of more than one BIS presentation!

              --Julie ZS (not me)
            • Dana MacDermott
              Message 6 of 29 , May 1, 2003
                Funny, I was thinking just about the same thoughts.
                And let us add a #6:Old costumes do not necessarily survive the ravages of
                time.
                I often describe our work as ephemeral.
                But the video assemblage sounds great. Carl?
                Dana
                Message 7 of 29 , May 1, 2003
                  Carl, I have some ideas for a few themed disks that maybe could eventually
                  be produced.

                  I'd be happy to send you lists to get the ball rolling.
                  I don't think it needs to be all winners only, and don't even think the
                  giving out of awards should be included.

                  wouldn't this be a great tool to try to get into the hands of the events
                  director for as many cons as possible? It could be used at Half time, or
                  even a panel unto itself, like Carols slide show.

                  A great way to promote the ICG as well as CC as teaching entities. If you
                  gave them to con coms, and didn't charge, I doubt you'd be in violation of
                  anybodies release forms, as you could claim that they are for promotional use.

                  And since we've talked about it here, is there anyone on the list that
                  doesn't know what the interview tape from 1987 is?
                  or that it even exists?

                  what a cool/sad/interesting time capsule of costuming.

                  Ricky

                • Betsy Delaney
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 1, 2003
                    The real question: Is this item in the Archives? I know it isn't in
                    mine...(or at least, I don't think it is!).

                    -b

                    --
                    Betsy R. Delaney
                    Web Mistress at large

                    http://www.WebInvent.com/ * http://www.hawkeswood.com/
                    http://www.Costume-Con.org/ * http://www.sickpups.org/
                    http://www.SchoolWithoutWalls.org/
                  • Bruno
                    Message 9 of 29 , May 1, 2003
                      Never heard of it.

                      Bruno

                      Message 10 of 29 , May 1, 2003
                        Yes it is in the ICG archives I made it 16 years ago it was an interview
                        tape of ten world class costumers.
                        It was interview footage mixed with Marty asking questions to a TV screen
                        Marty and nine others all who had won at world con were on the tape.
                        It has the story of the first CC on there.
                        The unedited interview tape were candid question and answers from groups
                        like Kathy & Drew 3M costuming Ricky & Mila, Karen & Kelly and others.
                        More than half are now LAA winners.
                        Every now and then I say I am going to bring out the final tape and update
                        the edits, but I haven't yet.
                        Carl
                        > The real question: Is this item in the Archives? I know it isn't in
                        > mine...(or at least, I don't think it is!).
                        >
                        > -b
                        >
                        > Ricky & Karen Dick wrote:
                        > >
                        > > And since we've talked about it here, is there anyone on the list that
                        > > doesn't know what the interview tape from 1987 is?
                        > > or that it even exists?
                        > >
                        > > what a cool/sad/interesting time capsule of costuming.
                        > >
                        > > Ricky
                        >
                        > --
                        > Betsy R. Delaney
                        > Web Mistress at large

                      • Ricky & Karen Dick
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 1, 2003
                          It was a very fun tape.
                          It has footage from the masquerades that the costumers are speaking about,
                          and most gave very good and honest answers about the state of the art.
                          As almost no one on the tape is still invlolved in fandom in the same
                          coupling, due to death and divorce, it would certainley be interesting to
                          get new interviews after all these years with those of us remaining.

                          ya know, now that we can say what we really want about stuff, and not worry
                          about sleeping out in the garage for a week.

                          off the top of my head, there were 19 people on it, and only 6-7 are still
                          active in fannish costuming.
                          I'm thinking the Pettingers were on it, and that would make them the only
                          intact couple from the tape. I didn't count Marty as I don't think Bobbi
                          was on the tape.
                          Maybe I'm wrong about the pettingers and it was the Kennedy's on it? or the
                          Dawes?
                          that would bring our count down to only 4-5 active.and no couples still
                          together.

                          Why don't I look it up?
                          cause the only copy I can find is on BETA LOL!

                          Some of the body language alone on this tape is worthy of note, you could
                          have called almost ever split up LOL!

                          I'm not surprised it isn't in Betsy's archives simply because it's a very
                          general fannish costumer tape, and since it was done between CC4 & 5
                          there's not that high a percentage of CC costumes on it. you'll see more
                          westercons and balticons than CC.

                          But it certainley is a worthy slice of history of 80's costuming.

                          Ricky

                          At 03:09 PM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                          >Yes it is in the ICG archives I made it 16 years ago it was an interview
                          >tape of ten world class costumers.
                          >It was interview footage mixed with Marty asking questions to a TV screen
                          >Marty and nine others all who had won at world con were on the tape.
                          >It has the story of the first CC on there.
                          >The unedited interview tape were candid question and answers from groups
                          >like Kathy & Drew 3M costuming Ricky & Mila, Karen & Kelly and others.
                          >More than half are now LAA winners.
                          >Every now and then I say I am going to bring out the final tape and update
                          >the edits, but I haven't yet.
                          >Carl

                        • Lay, Toni
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 1, 2003
                            Wasn't Denice on that interview tape also?

                            It has footage from the masquerades that the costumers are speaking about,
                            and most gave very good and honest answers about the state of the art.
                            As almost no one on the tape is still invlolved in fandom in the same
                            coupling, due to death and divorce, it would certainley be interesting to
                            get new interviews after all these years with those of us remaining.

                            ya know, now that we can say what we really want about stuff, and not worry
                            about sleeping out in the garage for a week.

                            off the top of my head, there were 19 people on it, and only 6-7 are still
                            active in fannish costuming.
                            I'm thinking the Pettingers were on it, and that would make them the only
                            intact couple from the tape. I didn't count Marty as I don't think Bobbi
                            was on the tape.
                            Maybe I'm wrong about the pettingers and it was the Kennedy's on it? or the
                            Dawes?
                            that would bring our count down to only 4-5 active.and no couples still
                            together.

                            Why don't I look it up?
                            cause the only copy I can find is on BETA LOL!

                            Some of the body language alone on this tape is worthy of note, you could
                            have called almost ever split up LOL!

                            I'm not surprised it isn't in Betsy's archives simply because it's a very
                            general fannish costumer tape, and since it was done between CC4 & 5
                            there's not that high a percentage of CC costumes on it. you'll see more
                            westercons and balticons than CC.

                            But it certainley is a worthy slice of history of 80's costuming.

                            Ricky

                            At 03:09 PM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                            >Yes it is in the ICG archives I made it 16 years ago it was an interview
                            >tape of ten world class costumers.
                            >It was interview footage mixed with Marty asking questions to a TV screen
                            >Marty and nine others all who had won at world con were on the tape.
                            >It has the story of the first CC on there.
                            >The unedited interview tape were candid question and answers from groups
                            >like Kathy & Drew 3M costuming Ricky & Mila, Karen & Kelly and others.
                            >More than half are now LAA winners.
                            >Every now and then I say I am going to bring out the final tape and update
                            >the edits, but I haven't yet.
                            >Carl

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • C. D. Mami
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 1, 2003
                              Yes she was she was the president and she did the intro for the tape
                              Marty was the MC
                              interviewed were
                              Karen & Kelly Turner
                              Ricky & Mila Dick
                              3 M Costumers Phil & Patty Mercier with Kathy Myers
                              Kathy and Drew Sanders
                              Diane & Rusty Dawe
                              Peggy & Pat Kennedy
                              Adrian Butterfield & Victoria Ridenhour (Misspelled)
                              Adraine Martine Barnes
                              Animal X
                              The raw interview was dubbed over onto the TV set and Marty asked questions
                              and the tape answered them and we videoed the final product
                              he followed a careful script of the questions as I had asked each person
                              several weeks before.
                              the actual video of the costume and still photos were then edited into the
                              run
                              The tape was 1 and 1/2 hours long had 10 major costumes almost all world con
                              stuff and was fun to make
                              Carl

                              Message 14 of 29 , May 1, 2003
                                This reminds me: at ConStellation in 1983 (my first Worldcon), after
                                the masquerade some of the contestants were interviewed on a tape
                                that was supposedly going to be added to the end of the official
                                tape. I was one of the "interviewees" and I think Marty asked the
                                questions (I didn't know [i]anybody[/i] then so I don't really
                                remember).

                                When I got the official tape, all that was left of these interviews
                                was a little blip of each person at the end where the winners credits
                                are announced. Anyone know what happened - or who ended up with that
                                footage? It would be an interesting addition to the archives, too.
                              • Betsy Delaney
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 1, 2003
                                  Hmm...

                                  This would be an interesting piece of history to see again. Maybe CC22
                                  could give some airtime to it? As I'm thinking about it, I can recall
                                  discussion in CostumApa about the tape, but no details at all.

                                  FYI: Name corrections below:

                                  "C. D. Mami" wrote:

                                  > Myla Dick (I think)
                                  > Kathy Mayer
                                  > Dianne Dawe
                                  > Victoria Ridenour
                                  > Adrienne Martine Barnes

                                  Cheers,

                                  Betsy

                                  --
                                  Betsy R. Delaney
                                  Web Mistress at large

                                  http://www.WebInvent.com/ * http://www.hawkeswood.com/
                                  http://www.Costume-Con.org/ * http://www.sickpups.org/
                                  http://www.SchoolWithoutWalls.org/
                                • Elaine Mami
                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 1, 2003
                                    Yes. She was in her Egyptian costume, and came out of a sarcophagus.

                                    Elaine

                                    > Wasn't Denice on that interview tape also?
                                    >
                                    > Toni
                                  • Lisa A Ashton
                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 3, 2003
                                      1987 was immediately before I started being interested in/participating
                                      in SFF costuming. The MAsq. at Noreaseascon in 1989 blew me away and I
                                      started thinking of ways to get into this world.

                                      I have heard about the interview tape from people's mentions of it, but
                                      have never seen/heard it. Sounds great, though.

                                      Hoping to see at least some of you at Balticon. And we have LOTS of
                                      great beads to sell!

                                      Yours in costuming, Lisa A.

                                      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                                    • Vicki Glover
                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 4, 2003
                                        Um, me, I don't know about it.

                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 6, 2003
                                          At 01:38 PM 5/1/2003, you wrote:
                                          >The real question: Is this item in the Archives? I know it isn't in
                                          >mine...(or at least, I don't think it is!).

                                          Its in mine.

                                          Pierre

                                          >-b
                                          >
                                          >Ricky & Karen Dick wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > And since we've talked about it here, is there anyone on the list that
                                          > > doesn't know what the interview tape from 1987 is?
                                          > > or that it even exists?
                                          > >
                                          > > what a cool/sad/interesting time capsule of costuming.
                                          > >
                                          > > Ricky
                                          >
                                          >--
                                          >Betsy R. Delaney
                                          >Web Mistress at large

                                          "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                                          Are Doomed To Repeat It;
                                          Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly--
                                          Why They Are Simply Doomed."

                                          -- C.Y. 4971