RE: [ICG-D] Visiting Luminex

  • becky.sauerland@att.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2003
      Yes, but even with fiber optics there has to be an original light source for
      each optic, unless all the threads end up (gathered?) at the same source,
      which wouldn't work once you cut the fabric.

      Wren
      (my husband suggests static electricity driven LEDs. That would be cool
      too.)
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2003
        And now I've read the rest of the comments in my inbox, and the report,
        and I think it sort of explains it, but I really wish I could see the fabric
        myself
        so I could better understand it.
        Sigh.
        Like I could ever afford to work with any of it.

        Wren.

        becky.sauerland@... writes:

        > How does a single battery reach all the fibers to light the whole
        swath
        up?
        > They claim it can be cut like regular fabric, so we don't have to
        worry
        > about cutting a connection?

        Sounds like it works by fiberoptics rather than electricity.

        Randall

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Charles Galway
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2003
          Static electricity tends to be fairly high voltage charges (bunches of electrons stuck in an area), producing very little current. LEDs like to be driven by low voltage (about 2 to 5 volts), and moderately small currents (20 to 50 milliAmps per LED). That means batteries are a good power source for them.

          Surface mount LEDs are pretty small. a few mm rectangles.

          Charles

          Yes, but even with fiber optics there has to be an original light source for
          each optic, unless all the threads end up (gathered?) at the same source,
          which wouldn't work once you cut the fabric.

          Wren
          (my husband suggests static electricity driven LEDs. That would be cool
          too.)
          -
          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Lay, Toni
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3, 2003
            That is correct. At one selvage, long optical fibers are collected into a
            bundle every 18" and plugged into the light source. The light source (the
            LED) is hooked into the power source.