Colors of Spring

  • mscip@inreach.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2003
      Hello All:

      While we're getting some rain in the Bay Area, the colors of spring are
      starting to show up.

      In our backyard, we have two volunteer (I didn't plant them!) daffodils
      showing bright yellow, and the wisteria tree is starting to show some
      serious blooming. Not all of it has bloomed yet, but it'll be impressive
      when it does.

      I'll have to see if I can borrow a digital camera to give people a look.

      Strangely enough, the apple tree isn't showing any blossoms yet, and I'm
      getting a little concerned about it. We didn't have many apples last year,
      and I'm starting to wonder if we'll have any this year. The cherry tree is
      also not blooming, and I'm wondering about that, too.

      The kumquats, however, are going crazy right now. Go figure.

    • Betsy Delaney
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 27, 2003
        We're already getting it, Toni!

        Apparently around here, the color of March is white.

        It's snowing again(!) and we're expecting from 6 - 14 more inches on top
        of what we already have.

        Good grief!

        Snow queens, anyone?

        Betsy

        --
        Betsy R. Delaney
        Web Mistress at large

        mailto:WebInvent@... or visit http://www.WebInvent.com/
        mailto:Costume-Con@... or visit http://www.Costume-Con.org/
        mailto:betsy@... or visit http://www.hawkeswood.com/
      • Lay, Toni
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 27, 2003
          We're expecting up to four more inches of snow tonight, here in NYC.

          While we're getting some rain in the Bay Area, the colors of spring are
          starting to show up.

          In our backyard, we have two volunteer (I didn't plant them!) daffodils
          showing bright yellow, and the wisteria tree is starting to show some
          serious blooming. Not all of it has bloomed yet, but it'll be impressive
          when it does.

          I'll have to see if I can borrow a digital camera to give people a look.

          Strangely enough, the apple tree isn't showing any blossoms yet, and I'm
          getting a little concerned about it. We didn't have many apples last year,
          and I'm starting to wonder if we'll have any this year. The cherry tree is
          also not blooming, and I'm wondering about that, too.

          The kumquats, however, are going crazy right now. Go figure.

        • Ricky & Karen Dick
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 27, 2003
            At 02:02 PM 2/27/2003 -0800, you wrote:
            >While we're getting some rain in the Bay Area, the colors of spring are
            >starting to show up.

            I'm jealous. We're still under snow, ice, and mud. This is the time of year
            when winter isn't pretty any more and I feel I have moved to Appalachia (sp?).

            It'll be another month or so before anything starts blooming around here. I
            have multiple flower beds planted with bulbs, and can't wait to see the
            spring show! And we have a wisteria, too, and it is glorious when it
            blooms. :-) I'm trying some new things this year (hollyhocks and
            clematis), so I hope they are happy.

            --Karen
          • Dressmup@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 27, 2003

              >>While we're getting some rain in the Bay Area, the colors of spring are
              >>starting to show up.
              >
              >I'm jealous. We're still under snow, ice, and mud. This is the time of year
              >when winter isn't pretty any more and I feel I have moved to Appalachia
              >(sp?).
              >
              >It'll be another month or so before anything starts blooming around here. I
              >have multiple flower beds planted with bulbs, and can't wait to see the
              >spring show! And we have a wisteria, too, and it is glorious when it
              >blooms. :-) I'm trying some new things this year (hollyhocks and
              >clematis), so I hope they are happy.
              >
              >--Karen

              We've got daffodils and crocus coming in bloom now, in another month we'll
              have forsythia. After that we have wisteria -- I have a vine that I planted
              in 1986, and completely covers half my house and all of my porch -- and then
              some! I should have gotten out and hacked it back this winter, but didn't
              get to that task somehow....

              JoAnne
              Costumer by Trade, Gardener and Goat Breeder by Hobby
            • henryosier@cs.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 27, 2003
                In a message dated 2/27/2003 4:19:02 PM Central Standard Time,
                layt@... writes:

                > We're expecting up to four more inches of snow tonight, here in NYC.
                Do you know what we do here in Wisconsin when we hear that kind of forecast?
                Finally turn on the four wheel drive!
                Henry Osier
                Milwaukee, WI

              • Trudy Leonard
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 27, 2003
                  The daffodils in the backyard under the forsythia should open this
                  weekend. The Chinese quince in the front yard has buds. Too early for the
                  azaleas, but I have about 10 different variaties, and when they bloom, it's
                  truly spectacular. We have a very small house in a very big yard, so we get
                  lots of pretties (also get to rake lots of leaves, but that's the price you
                  pay). I'm afraid that the blight has hit my dogwoods, though. We have a
                  nasty type that's killing off a lot of the older Southern dogwoods. We don't
                  have any redbuds, but those are blooming all over the city and are very
                  lovely. We had warm weather for a week, then several days of wet and nasty.
                  Usually in Atlanta, this means we are due for an ice storm next week. March
                  is the cruel month around here.
                  I'm sorry for those who are snow-bound and tired of it all. Just think
                  how much more welcome Spring will feel, though.

                  Trudy

                  >From: Dressmup@...
                  >To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [ICG-D] Colors of Spring
                  >Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:40:04 EST

                  > >>While we're getting some rain in the Bay Area, the colors of spring are
                  > >>starting to show up.
                  > >
                  > >I'm jealous. We're still under snow, ice, and mud. This is the time of
                  >year
                  > >when winter isn't pretty any more and I feel I have moved to Appalachia
                  > >(sp?).
                  > >
                  > >It'll be another month or so before anything starts blooming around here.
                  > >have multiple flower beds planted with bulbs, and can't wait to see the
                  > >spring show! And we have a wisteria, too, and it is glorious when it
                  > >blooms. :-) I'm trying some new things this year (hollyhocks and
                  > >clematis), so I hope they are happy.
                  > >
                  > >--Karen
                  >
                  >We've got daffodils and crocus coming in bloom now, in another month we'll
                  >have forsythia. After that we have wisteria -- I have a vine that I
                  >planted
                  >in 1986, and completely covers half my house and all of my porch -- and
                  >then
                  >some! I should have gotten out and hacked it back this winter, but didn't
                  >get to that task somehow....
                  >
                  >JoAnne
                  >Costumer by Trade, Gardener and Goat Breeder by Hobby

                • Lisa A Ashton
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 28, 2003
                    Hello list--

                    So far our colors of spring include white. And gray, and many shades in
                    between gray and white. Did I mention that it's snowing? Again? We
                    here in the Wash/Balt area (I admit I live on the very edges edges) have
                    gotten about 4-5" last night (Thurs.) with another 1"+ predicted today.
                    That means they just don't know what this last storm is going to drop.
                    So much for global warming.

                    I sort of envy you your daffocils--some of my bulbs (crocuses, etc) had
                    actually started to push up a little green before all this snow started,
                    so who knows when it'll happen now. One good thing--with sustained cold
                    and snow, fewer mosquitos and ticks this year!

                    Did I mention it's snowing again?

                    Yours in costuming, Lisa A.
                    who is at least getting some beading done

                    Only $9.95 per month!
                    Visit www.juno.com
                  • Lay, Toni
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 28, 2003
                      Well, as it turned out, the snow missed us. So, there!