I Still Want to Go

  • mscip@inreach.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2003
      > From: Ricky & Karen Dick <castleb@...>
      >
      > Time to break out the "I *STILL* Want To Go!" t-shirt again...
      >
      > [Toni Lay wore a space shuttle "I want to go!" t-shirt to Costume-Con
      > 4--with the word STILL! handwritten in above the other words--after the
      > Challenger disaster.]
      >
      > Folks, this is a sad, sad day and I am not trying to diminish the impact of
      > this event (especially for our very space-oriented community of science
      > fiction fans) BUT I am still amazed at the overall excellent safety record
      > of the space program in this country.
      >
      > Nobody said that it wouldn't be risky, and that we wouldn't lose some good
      > people along the way. But I *still* want to go, too.

      I'm on that list of people who want to go up into space, too. When you're on
      something that can explode, going into a different environment than what we
      normally breathe (yes, including scuba/underwater), you have to understand that
      you are taking a calculated risk.

      I would still take that risk given the chance.

      My favorite joke/statement is:

      The east coast Jewish Princess whines: I want to go to Miami!
      The west coast Jewish Princess whines: I want to go to Hawaii!

      I whine: I want to go to Mars!
      (To which Kathy Mar, a big name filker, replied: you are here!)