Re: [ICG-D] Digest Number 932

  • MicheleSol@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2003
      In a message dated 01/30/2003 10:58:11 PM Central Standard Time,
      ICG-D@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > Now, I'll really put my foot in it and ask a question. If no one
      > complained about the rules for getting past customs for Australia, why are
      > people complaining about the fuss for crossing another international border
      >
      > and coming up here.

      I was just thinking the same thing. I had no problems like any of these when
      I took costumes into Australia the two times I went. I had something like 7
      costumes the first time and 4 the second. My only concerns were ones with
      fur and feathers, however, they didn't hassle me about it. Just don't try to
      take ANY kind of meat into the country. I don't remember problems like these
      when I went to Calgary or Winnipeg, however, I flew both times. The stories
      I'd heard before were mostly SCA folk trying to get their armor and weapons
      back and forth. I was thinking of driving this time.

      I'd be willing to have someone search my bags and then be able to lock them
      rather than send them through unlocked!

      Can we get Torcon to include these instructions for border crossing with
      costumes etc. with the next progress report????

      The only problem I encountered in Fiji/Australia was Qantas making me take
      things out of my suitcase because it was too heavy. Both were too heavy. My
      carryon's wouldn't hold it all either. They gave me a nylon bag to send the
      stuff through and then I had to repack them. It took three trys to get the
      bags light enough. I started to leave the Fiji airport without the bag, but
      tried to go back through customs and couldn't, however, one of the Fiji guy
      was very nice and helped me get back to the bag (it was there) and even
      helped me with my bags.

      The weight problems were quite a surprise after the first trip. I left
      Australia with 4 checked bags, a total of 99 kilos of checked luggage. And
      only had to pay for the 4th bag. The weird thing was it was never the same
      at any airport even though I was on the same airline. Some places 2 bags
      were okay, some 3. Prices I paid for extra varied too and were by bag. Now
      a lot of it is by kilo or pound. A frightening concept. I actually shipped
      one suitcase home from Australia because the Fiji to Vancouver flight was a
      smaller plane and the would have charged me $200-300 for the extra bag. I'll
      never do that leg ever again!

      Michele

    • Alix Jordan
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2003
        Dear Michele:

        >Can we get Torcon to include these instructions for border crossing with
        >costumes etc. with the next progress report????

        I'll ask Barb, but it's more likely an easier thing to get Barb to
        put these on the next Masquerade newsletter, than to wait around for the
        concom to get around to it.

        Peace
        Alixandra
        eddana@...