48833Re: [ICG-D] Re: I'm Baaaaack!

  • Randall Whitlock
    Apr 29, 2014
      I received a semi-mea culpa message from AOL today verifying that address books were stolen and return addresses spoofed.

      They don't think the encryption on passwords or security questions was broken, but advised changing them anyway.

      On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Susan Toker <susantoker@...> wrote:

      The AOL hacking just made it to CNN.

      They also are warning about Internet Explorer having a new big hacking hole.

      On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Randall Whitlock <randwhit@...> wrote:

      From the article, it looks like this DMARC thingie is exactly the tool to stop spoofing attacks like the one I just experienced. If AOL just implemented it, that would explain why the spams stopped suddenly.

      Thanks for the info!

      On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Randall Whitlock <randwhit@...> wrote:
      The spam storm from the hack of my AOL address appears to have subsided for a while.

      Nonetheless, I have rejoined this group under my gmail account in hopes that its security is a bit better.

      I am still monitoring both randwhit at aol.com and randwhit at gmail .com, should you wish to contact me off-list.

      I haven't decided yet which address to use for distributing the SWCG newsletter next week.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic