48626Re: [ICG-D] Costumers and Consent/Harassment

    Mar 11, 2014
      I agree, and I've been in fandom for 35 years.  I don't think it's gotten worse, although I think it hasn't gotten better.  However, American society has gotten much more judgmental that it was even 10 years ago, if you compare today's news with that of the beginning of the century. That may be a larger issue; whether that's a good thing is a decision for each of us to make.

      Byron

      On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 5:24 PM, Jennifer Kelley <jakread@...> wrote:

      On 3/9/2014 1:01 PM, Aurora Celeste wrote:

      I recently went to a panel where someone tried to assert that before the Anime heyday and 2001 costuming and fandom was one big happy family with no issues of sexual harassment or problems with marginalizing minority costumers.  It sounded contrary to some stories I've heard, but I thought it would be easiest to go to the people who lived it.  Is this true?  Were there really no problems with sexual harassment back in the days of 'no costume is a costume', or is this a case of rose-colored glasses and the explosion of costuming in fandom as well as the easy transmission of stories by the internet?

      ~Aurora

      It's totally rose-colored glasses. I got groped, fondled, leered at all the time back in the 1980s at Doctor Who cons while dressed as various companions. Jon Pertwee himself demanded my chest be on better display in a Masquerade entry.

      I also witnessed people mocking an African-American young man dressed as the Pertwee Doctor in the mid-80's. :(

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic