48346Re: [gcfcg] Re: [ICG-D] Wide broadcast - new masquerade, coming Thanksgiving Weekend, *2014*

  • Betsy Marks Delaney
    Nov 21, 2013
      Hi, Elektra!

      We're on the same page here with historical costumes as part of the masquerade.

      I want to encourage Steampunk and other interpretations. There are so few options for historical costume folks to compete at any level. I loved the historical aspect of Darkover's masquerade and I wouldn't want to lose it.

      Thinking about the following categories so far: Authentic Historical, Creative Historical, Darkover-specific, Media-Inspired (encompassing all genres until I find out that's too broad), SF/Fantasy and, of course, original.

      Also Young Fan, Novice, Journeyman and Craftsman/Master structure, based on ICG guidelines.

      Darkover's masquerade was a relatively low-key event, and I can keep Chessiecon's masquerade similarly structured, if that's what folks prefer, or we can expand the event (as budget and volunteers permit). I've certainly worked on or participated in a wide variety of competitions, from simple parades all the way up to Worldcon. Its been my experience that the more input I can get, the more likely the event will be something the participants want to attend and will enjoy.

      Keep the suggestions coming, thanks!

      Betsy

      On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 3:36 AM, elektra <elektra@...> wrote:

      Darkovercon traditionally allowed historical costumes in the masq--it would be nice if that was a traditional that was revived.

      It was the only place only than costumecon to compete a historically accurate costume.

      Elektra

      On 11/18/2013 8:05 PM, Betsy Marks Delaney wrote:
      Hi, all!

      So sorry for the duplication in posts. We know too many of the same people. 8)

      I've been asked to head up brand-new Chessiecon's first-ever masquerade and I'm coming to you for help!

      As you can see by the link below, nothing is set. I'm interested in finding folks who want to compete, work on (and work out) the rules, judges, emcees and everything in between. With luck, we'll have more details to discuss after Darkover.

      http://chessiecon.org/masquerade.html

      Chessiecon is being assembled and run by friends of the con known as Darkover Grand Council, and will take place next year, Thanksgiving Weekend, 2014.

      I hope to see folks at this year's final Darkover and am also hoping I'll find folks who want to be part of this new venture.

      So, here's your opportunity to let me know what sort of event you'd like to see. Nothing is set - I only just accepted the position within the last week.

      Please direct questions to the email address listed on the web site (masquerade at chessiecon dot org for folks not web-enabled).

      Feel free to pass this info to folks you think might be interested in participating, in whatever capacity.

      Thanks much!

      See some of you Thanksgiving Weekend,

      Betsy
      Betsy Marks Delaney

      http://www.hawkeswood.com/

      --

      Coab minshak'a.

      Until Midnight Editorial Services
      http://www.untilmidnight.com

      Editor and Reviewer for buzzymag
      http://buzzymag.com

      Acquisitions Editor for Sparkito Press, an Imprint of Dark Quest Books
      http://www.darkquestbooks.com

      https://twitter.com/elektraUM                             [Twitter]
      https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000514628819   [Facebook]

      SFWA Affiliate member