Martin Gear, RIP

  • Byron Connell
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 18, 2013
      As you may have heard, Marty Gear died today. In addition to his many other contributions to the costuming community, for which we honored him as the second recipient of our Lifetime Achievement Award (in 1991), he was one of the founders of the ICG and served as its Executive Director from its establishment in 1985 until our incorporation in 1989.

      Perhaps more than anyone else in our community, Marty was responsible for bringing masquerades and other costumed stage events to their present state.

      I ask that the Board take appropriate action to honor him in his passing. We did so, for example, with the loss of Pat and Peggy Kennedy by naming our archives The Pat and Peggy Kennedy Memorial Archive. We should do something equally significant for Marty. I would be proud to co-sponsor any appropriate Board resolution.

      Byron Connell
      President
      New Jersey-New York Chapter
    • Philip Gust
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 18, 2013
        Thanks for getting this started, Byron. I met Marty, only once, at Costume-Con 30 in Tempe. I wish that I could have spent more time with him because he was someone who had a lot of lessons to teach.

        The one thing I remember clearly was when we were first introduced. He looked me up and down sternly and said that he heard I was running for ICG President that year. I had heard stories and was more than a little nervous. Then he broke in to a smile and said that he guessed that I hadn't run fast enough.

        I have a feeling that I wasn't the first person that he tried that one on. Unfortunately, I was the last, and I'm deeply saddened to realize that.

        Since Marty is associated with masquerades, perhaps something related to that would be appropriate. The Greater Bay Area Costumers Guild occasionally gives a "Rising Star" award to recognize a novice who shows exceptional promise. Kathe won the award exactly 10 years ago at our first masquerade, and I think that it made a strong impression on her.

        Perhaps we could institute a similar award that we might dub the "Marty." The award would recognize a novice or a young adult at one of the International masquerades who shows exceptional promise as demonstrated by a combination of workmanship and performance, and who would benefit from our encouragement. There could even be a page on the ICG website to show past "Marty" recipients. It would be interesting to look back later to see what they've done since then.

        Any comments on this idea, or other ideas for ways we might honor Marty and his contribution to the costuming community?

        --- In ICG-BOD@yahoogroups.com, Byron Connell <byronpconnell@...> wrote:

        > As you may have heard, Marty Gear died today. In addition to his many other contributions to the costuming community, for which we honored him as the second recipient of our Lifetime Achievement Award (in 1991), he was one of the founders of the ICG and served as its Executive Director from its establishment in 1985 until our incorporation in 1989.
        >
        > Perhaps more than anyone else in our community, Marty was responsible for bringing masquerades and other costumed stage events to their present state.
        >
        > I ask that the Board take appropriate action to honor him in his passing. We did so, for example, with the loss of Pat and Peggy Kennedy by naming our archives The Pat and Peggy Kennedy Memorial Archive. We should do something equally significant for Marty. I would be proud to co-sponsor any appropriate Board resolution.
        >
        > Byron Connell
        > President
        > New Jersey-New York Chapter

      • Aurora Celeste
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 19, 2013
          Marty and I talked a few times about establishing some kind of lending
          library within the ICG. Marty loved costuming books and owned quite an
          extensive collection. I know there are many physical and monetary hurdles
          to something like this, but I also know it was something Marty wanted to do.

          ~Aurora

          On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM, Philip Gust <gust@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for getting this started, Byron. I met Marty, only once, at
          > Costume-Con 30 in Tempe. I wish that I could have spent more time with him
          > because he was someone who had a lot of lessons to teach.
          >
          > The one thing I remember clearly was when we were first introduced. He
          > looked me up and down sternly and said that he heard I was running for ICG
          > President that year. I had heard stories and was more than a little
          > nervous. Then he broke in to a smile and said that he guessed that I hadn't
          > run fast enough.
          >
          > I have a feeling that I wasn't the first person that he tried that one on.
          > Unfortunately, I was the last, and I'm deeply saddened to realize that.
          >
          > Since Marty is associated with masquerades, perhaps something related to
          > that would be appropriate. The Greater Bay Area Costumers Guild
          > occasionally gives a "Rising Star" award to recognize a novice who shows
          > exceptional promise. Kathe won the award exactly 10 years ago at our first
          > masquerade, and I think that it made a strong impression on her.
          >
          > Perhaps we could institute a similar award that we might dub the "Marty."
          > The award would recognize a novice or a young adult at one of the
          > International masquerades who shows exceptional promise as demonstrated by
          > a combination of workmanship and performance, and who would benefit from
          > our encouragement. There could even be a page on the ICG website to show
          > past "Marty" recipients. It would be interesting to look back later to see
          > what they've done since then.
          >
          > Any comments on this idea, or other ideas for ways we might honor Marty
          > and his contribution to the costuming community?
          >

          > --- In ICG-BOD@yahoogroups.com, Byron Connell <byronpconnell@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > As you may have heard, Marty Gear died today. In addition to his many
          > other contributions to the costuming community, for which we honored him
          > as the second recipient of our Lifetime Achievement Award (in 1991), he was
          > one of the founders of the ICG and served as its Executive Director from
          > its establishment in 1985 until our incorporation in 1989.
          > >
          > > Perhaps more than anyone else in our community, Marty was responsible
          > for bringing masquerades and other costumed stage events to their present
          > state.
          > >
          > > I ask that the Board take appropriate action to honor him in his
          > passing. We did so, for example, with the loss of Pat and Peggy Kennedy by
          > naming our archives The Pat and Peggy Kennedy Memorial Archive. We should
          > do something equally significant for Marty. I would be proud to co-sponsor
          > any appropriate Board resolution.
          > >
          > > Byron Connell
          > > President
          > > New Jersey-New York Chapter

        • Ric Rader and Ann Hamilton
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 19, 2013
            A few years back when Marty's wife Bobby died, the GCFCG set up such an award for Balticon which of course was named the "Bobby". Both Marty and Bobby were a huge part of Balticon and its masquerade.

            Ours focuses on younger participants as Bobby was a school teacher and was very intent on helping young people.

            Ann, GCFCG

            >Thanks for getting this started, Byron. I met Marty, only once, at Costume-Con 30 in Tempe. I wish that I could have spent more time with him because he was someone who had a lot of lessons to teach.
            >
            >The one thing I remember clearly was when we were first introduced. He looked me up and down sternly and said that he heard I was running for ICG President that year. I had heard stories and was more than a little nervous. Then he broke in to a smile and said that he guessed that I hadn't run fast enough.
            >
            >I have a feeling that I wasn't the first person that he tried that one on. Unfortunately, I was the last, and I'm deeply saddened to realize that.
            >
            >Since Marty is associated with masquerades, perhaps something related to that would be appropriate. The Greater Bay Area Costumers Guild occasionally gives a "Rising Star" award to recognize a novice who shows exceptional promise. Kathe won the award exactly 10 years ago at our first masquerade, and I think that it made a strong impression on her.
            >
            >Perhaps we could institute a similar award that we might dub the "Marty." The award would recognize a novice or a young adult at one of the International masquerades who shows exceptional promise as demonstrated by a combination of workmanship and performance, and who would benefit from our encouragement. There could even be a page on the ICG website to show past "Marty" recipients. It would be interesting to look back later to see what they've done since then.
            >
            >Any comments on this idea, or other ideas for ways we might honor Marty and his contribution to the costuming community?
            >

            >--- In ICG-BOD@yahoogroups.com, Byron Connell <byronpconnell@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> As you may have heard, Marty Gear died today. In addition to his many other contributions to the costuming community, for which we honored him as the second recipient of our Lifetime Achievement Award (in 1991), he was one of the founders of the ICG and served as its Executive Director from its establishment in 1985 until our incorporation in 1989.
            >>
            >> Perhaps more than anyone else in our community, Marty was responsible for bringing masquerades and other costumed stage events to their present state.
            >>
            >> I ask that the Board take appropriate action to honor him in his passing. We did so, for example, with the loss of Pat and Peggy Kennedy by naming our archives The Pat and Peggy Kennedy Memorial Archive. We should do something equally significant for Marty. I would be proud to co-sponsor any appropriate Board resolution.
            >>
            >> Byron Connell
            >> President
            >> New Jersey-New York Chapter

          • dandyhank
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 19, 2013
              I'm sorry to read that he has passes away. He and I did not always agree,
              but I did respect him. He was a great help to all of fandom.

              Henry W. Osier
              Règle Mystique des Balles et du Drap
              President, Armed Costumers Guild

            • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 19, 2013
                At 10:14 PM 7/18/2013, you wrote:

                I strongly support such an award. Perhaps refine the name and the
                recipient, but it is the least we can do. I am going to be thinking
                if there is something else we can do.

                Pierre

                "Those Who Fail to Learn History
                Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                Why They Are Simply Doomed."

                Achemdro'hm
                "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                -- C. Y. 4971

                Andromeda

              • Carole Parker
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 20, 2013
                  As well as competing, Marty was known for being an MC. Maybe recognize the people who wind up being MCs so often, but don't seem to get a lot of recognition?

                  Until later--

                  Carole

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 21, 2013
                    There is discussion within the GCFCG about possibly approaching the ICG to rename our "Best in Show" award at Costume Con after Marty. Our next meeting is August 18 where we are officially going to discuss. Just thought I'd throw that out there...

> [...]
                    >> incorporation in 1989.
                    >> >
                    >> > Perhaps more than anyone else in our community, Marty was
                    >> responsible for bringing masquerades and other costumed stage
                    >> events to their present state.
                    >> >
                    >> > I ask that the Board take appropriate action to honor him in his
                    >> passing. We did so, for example, with the loss of Pat and Peggy
                    >> Kennedy by naming our archives The Pat and Peggy Kennedy Memorial
                    >> Archive. We should do something equally significant for Marty. I
                    >> would be proud to co-sponsor any appropriate Board resolution.
                    >> >
                    >> > Byron Connell
                    >> > President
                    >> > New Jersey-New York Chapter
                    >
                    >International Costumers' Guild Archivist
                    >
                    >http://www.costume.org/gallery2/main.php
                    >
                    >"Those Who Fail to Learn History
                    >Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                    >Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly -

                  • Philip Gust
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 21, 2013
                      Hi Ric,

                      Having a masquerade award in Marty's honor is a great idea. A couple of things to consider on this specific idea:

                      1. There are multiple staged events at Costume-Con (historical, sci-fi/fantasy, single pattern and future fashion) that each present a "best in show" award.

                      2. Costume-Con is not an ICG event, and ICG does not currently present any awards at Costume-Con (although several chapters do).

                      --- In ICG-BOD@yahoogroups.com, Ric Rader and Ann Hamilton <ricrader@...> wrote:

                      > There is discussion within the GCFCG about possibly approaching the ICG to rename our "Best in Show" award at Costume Con after Marty. Our next meeting is August 18 where we are officially going to discuss. Just thought I'd throw that out there...

                    • Ric Rader and Ann Hamilton
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 22, 2013
                        Hey Phil,

                        I'm not sure exactly what my members were thinking. They were just throwing out ideas on our discussion group when we heard about Marty's passing.

                        I think once we have a meeting, I can get a better sense of their direction and of course we can discuss here what the BOD thinks on the subject. They may be targeting the creation of an ICG award that would be given at Costume Con???? *shrugs*

                        Cheers,
                        Ann, GCFCG (my husband Ric and I roll old school and have a shared email account. lol)

                        >Having a masquerade award in Marty's honor is a great idea. A couple of things to consider on this specific idea:
                        >
                        >1. There are multiple staged events at Costume-Con (historical, sci-fi/fantasy, single pattern and future fashion) that each present a "best in show" award.
                        >
                        >2. Costume-Con is not an ICG event, and ICG does not currently present any awards at Costume-Con (although several chapters do).
                        >

                        >--- In ICG-BOD@yahoogroups.com, Ric Rader and Ann Hamilton <ricrader@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> There is discussion within the GCFCG about possibly approaching the ICG to rename our "Best in Show" award at Costume Con after Marty. Our next meeting is August 18 where we are officially going to discuss. Just thought I'd throw that out there...

                      • Kaijugal .
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 22, 2013
                          I am of course am amenable to suggestions on how we can remember Marty at CC32.
                          I'm just to shell shocked at the moment to have many coherent ideas, but would like to
                          help facilitate any good ones that may involve CC32.

                          I'm sure everyone on this list is aware that he was my co-chair.

                          Dawn McKechnie - Costume-Con 32 Chair.
                          Toronto, ON - April 25-28 2014
                          www.costumecon32.com

                        • Philip Gust
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 22, 2013
                            Ann,

                            It would be great to have a Marty's chapter recommend ways to honor him. Let them know that it's fine to come up with a several ideas, and that more than one could be implemented. After all, Marty cut a fairly wide swath...

                            You might point them to several suggestions that have already been posted to ICG-BOD, including the one I made (#9906) about a special masquerade award in Marty's name, and Aurora's suggestion (#9907) about something like a lending library named for Marty. Dana MacDemott also suggested a scholarship fund in an April post (#9785), and there may be other ideas from even earlier in the list that are worth considering.

                            We'll look forward to hearing back from your chapter after the August 18th meeting.

                          • Eric Brine
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 22, 2013
                              On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Philip Gust <gust@...> wrote:

                              > 2. Costume-Con is not an ICG event, and ICG does not currently present any
                              > awards at Costume-Con (although several chapters do).

                              I think you mean: ICG does not currently present any *masquerade* awards at
                              Costume-Con (although several chapters do).

                              (It presents the ICG Lifetime Achievement Award)