GEL: Important information for all US Chapters (except GCFCG)

  • Bruce-T
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 12, 2012
      The time is right for each of the chapters covered under the ICG's Group
      Exemption Letter (GEL) to begin the process of gathering up and submitting
      their 2011 financial reports while the information is still fresh and
      obtainable.

      I will be compiling the information and filing the required reports to the
      IRS later this year..

      The current included chapters are:

      - Chicagoland Costumers' Guild
      - St. Louis Costumers' Guild
      - Greater Delaware Valley Costumers' Guild
      - Silicon Web Costumers' Guild
      - Minnesota Society of Costumers

      Required reports are:

      - Balance Sheet as of 12/31/2011;
      - Income/Expense Report, for 2011;
      - Statement describing primary sources of income and the nature of
      expenditures;
      - A list of the chapter's current officers with their mailing addresses.
      - A copy of the Chapter's Form
      990-T<http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f990t.pdf>filing for the last
      year (click the link for a sample)

      Why would you want your chapter included in the ICG's Group Exemption
      Letter? Once included in the GEL, Chapters (subordinates):

      - Are recognized as exempt from federal income tax under section
      501(c)(3) of the Code;
      - Donors may deduct contributions to them as provided by section 170 of
      the Code;
      - Bequests, legacies, devises, transfers, or gifts to them or for their
      use, are deductible for federal estate and gift tax purposes is they meet
      the applicable provisions of section 2055, 2106, and 2522 of the Code;
      - They are exempted from the requirement that, if annual income is
      $25,000 or less, they must file an annual electronic notice, Form
      990-N<http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=169250,00.html>;
      and
      - It is recommended that they fill out and post electronically, on their
      websites, (or a page created on the ICG website), a Form
      990<http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=169250,00.html>informational
      return. Such postings must remain for three years for public
      viewing.
      - Can use their federal tax exempt status to file for state tax
      exemption status.

      Our Group Exemption Number is 5622. Subordinates are required to include
      this number on each Form
      990<http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=169250,00.html>,
      Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax, or Form
      990-T<http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f990t.pdf>,
      Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Return, that they file. Since the
      subordinates are not required to file these returns, if they have gross
      receipts of $25,000 or less, these forms should be completed for the sake
      of ensuring compliance and held for 3 years, as stated above. As a stated
      above, tax exempt organization, financial reports and tax filing are
      required to be in the public record and are not allowed to be kept private.

      Any other chapters wishing to be included in the Group Exemption Letter
      should submit the following items to me (Bruce-BoD@...)

      1. A letter stating that the Chapter:
      1. is affiliated with the ICG;
      2. agrees to be subject to its "general supervision or control" by
      accepting the Uniform Governing Instrument
      (UGI<http://www.costume.org/documents/UniformGoverningInstrument.html>
      );
      3. is eligible to qualify for exemption under the same 501(c)
      paragraph as the ICG;
      4. is not a foundation;
      5. has a fiscal year that ends on December 31st;
      6. is willing to be exempt only from the date of application.
      2. A detailed description of the purposes and activities of the chapter,
      including the sources of receipts and the nature of expenditures.
      3. A sample copy of a uniform governing instrument, (such as a charter
      or articles of association) adopted by the chapter, or in its absence,
      copies of representative instruments.
      4. An affirmation to the effect that, to the best of the officer's
      knowledge, the purposes and activities of the chapter are as stated in (2)
      and (3) above.
      5. The federal EIN number for the chapter. If your chapter does not
      have one, get one by going to
      http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=102767,00.html.
      6. The Chapter's financial reports for the prior year, as indicated
      above:
      1. Balance Sheet: Assets less Liabilities = Equity.
      2. Income and Expenses Report showing gross receipts by category and
      all expenses by category.

      Annual deadline for submissions is July 31.

      Annually, at least 90 days before the end of the fiscal year (that would be
      the end of September), the ICG's GEL Administrator is required to file an
      update with the IRS. This update must include:

      1. A statement describing any changes during the year in the purposes,
      character, or method of operation of the subordinates;
      2. A list showing the names, mailing addresses (including Postal ZIP
      codes), actual addresses if different, and employer Identification numbers
      of subordinates that, since your previous report:
      - Changed names or address;
      - Were deleted from the roster; or
      - Were added to the roster.
      3. For subordinates to be added, attach:
      - A statement that the information on which the present group
      exemption letter is based applies to the new subordinates;
      - A statement that each has given the ICG written authorization to
      add its name to the roster;
      - A list of those to which the Service previously issued exemption
      rulings or determination letters;
      - A statement that none of the subordinates is a private foundation
      as defined in section 509(a) of the Code; and
      - The street address of each subordinate whose mailing address is a
      P.O. Box;
      4. If applicable, a statement that the group exemption roster did not
      change since the previous report.

      It is amazing how quickly July 31 will arrive. Please complete your
      chapter's submission as soon as possible to avoid last minute stress.

      Thanks.

      Bruce

      GEL Administrator

    • Bruce-T
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2012
        For those Chapters who are confused about the GEL, what it means, and how
        to attain inclusion, I am re-sending the message I posted to the BoD in
        January. Please read the following carefully. If you still have
        questions, contact me directly. Please do not clutter up the BoD list with
        GEL questions.

        As of this writing, I still need the following reports from the current GEL
        Chapters:

        - CCG
        - Balance Sheet as of 12/31/2011;
        - Statement describing primary sources of income and the nature of
        expenditures;
        - A list of the chapter's current officers with their mailing
        addresses.
        - A copy of the Chapter's Form
        990-T<http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f990t.pdf> or
        990-N filing for the last year (click the link for a sample)
        - SLCG
        - Balance Sheet as of 12/31/2011;
        - Income/Expense Report, for 2011;
        - Statement describing primary sources of income and the nature of
        expenditures;
        - A list of the chapter's current officers with their mailing
        addresses.
        - A copy of the Chapter's Form
        990-T<http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f990t.pdf> or
        990-N filing for the last year (click the link for a sample)
        - GDVCG
        - Balance Sheet as of 12/31/2011;
        - Income/Expense Report, for 2011;
        - Statement describing primary sources of income and the nature of
        expenditures;
        - A list of the chapter's current officers with their mailing
        addresses.
        - A copy of the Chapter's Form
        990-T<http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f990t.pdf> or
        990-N filing for the last year (click the link for a sample)
        - MCS
        - A list of the chapter's current officers with their mailing
        addresses.

        Remember, July 31 is the deadline for submitting the required reports. If
        not received by that date, the chapter will be removed from the GEL update
        to the IRS and will no longer be able to use the ICG's Group Exemption
        Number when filing federal tax forms. This is not a trivial matter!

      • MNSOC
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 13, 2012
          Bruce,

          I was under the impression that you had all required information from MNSOC based on my submissions to you in March/April. Is there something additional needed from us at this point?

          Jason Downing
          Treasurer
          MNSOC

          Sent from my iPhone

        • Bruce-T
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2012
            Hi Jason,

            I did a recheck and, indeed, you are totally up to date with the GEL
            paperwork.

            Thanks, and my apologies for the mix up on my part.

            Keep up the good work!

            Bruce
            GEL Administrator