RE: [IAM_ListServ] Deaccession Procedures

  • Gutenkauf, Diane
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2010

      Yikes.

      Get thee to the AAM bookstore and purchase a copy of “The New Registration Methods” by Buck and Gilmore

      This is the “bible” you should reach for before you do anything else relating to your collections. They clearly and succinctly explain what collections policies and procedures you should adopt and offer great ideas on what they should say.

      While you’re at it, the AAM web site offers sample policy documents but you need to be a member to access them. AASLH offers a very similar service.

      Read a bunch of policies drafted by museums similar to you and adapt their documents to your needs.

      Deaccessioning is a very serious process and one that has legal implications for your Board and Staff. Do not enter into this lightly and do consult the (vast!) literature on this topic before you embark on removing anything from your collection.

      The short answer: You should only use disposal methods that you outline in your deaccession policy that your Board approves. Returning objects to donors is the least appropriate method. All others depend on what the object is, how you acquired it, and an analysis of who else might want it.

      www.aam-us.org

      www.aaslh.org

      Diane Gutenkauf

      Director

      Robert R. McCormick Museum at Cantigny

      1S151 Winfield Rd.

      Wheaton, IL 60189

      630-260-8159 (v)

      630-260-8160 (f)

      dgutenkauf@...

      www.cantigny.org

      Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/McCormickMuseum

      Become a fan on Facebook: McCormick Museum

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2010
        Thanks for the feedback,

        I have been consulting these resources and I am actually looking to update our deaccession policy and procedures. We rarely deaccession, however, as an institution that has been open since the 1940s, I have come across a few items that no longer coincide with our mission.

        Our institution definitely understands the seriousness of deaccessioning (which is why we rarely embark upon it). I am just looking for any specific advice from institutions whom have had to deaccession an object!

        Thanks!