Help with period toilet

  • Gutenkauf, Diane
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2009

      Hi Everyone

      Our historic house had a bathroom added in the early 1950s and we use the fixtures in it for staff and occasional visitors. We want to keep the period look but the toilet has developed a leak. Our facilities staff say they can’t get replacement parts any longer and want us to replace the toilet. Naturally we don’t want to do that.

      Do any of you have suggestions on sources for replacement flush valves?

      Thanks

      Diane Gutenkauf

      Director

      RobertR.McCormickMuseum at Cantigny

      1S151 Winfield Rd.

      Wheaton ,IL60189

      630-260-8159 (v)

      630-260-8160 (f)

      dgutenkauf@...

      www.cantigny.org

      Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/McCormickMuseum

    • erikalynn
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 26, 2009
        Hi Diane,

        My husband, a liscenced plumber, fixes vintage toilets for our friends who own 1950's homes with original plumbing. He would just need some information about the make and model, and could then figure out how to source the parts. If you haven't yet found what you are looking for, you can email Tom Mulvenna at the below address (I am also cc'ing him on the email.

        Good luck!

        Erika Mulvenna

        dgutenkauf@cantigny .org

        www.cantigny. org

        Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter. com/McCormickMus eum

      • Harold Scott
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 27, 2009
          Try a little research with an Old House Catalog (they usually publish
          these annually), or look for some Architectural Salvage stores (there
          some in the Chicago area and in many other cities).

          HG Scott