Museum site to be sold

  • Gutenkauf, Diane
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 17, 2008

      Just announced today: The Museum of Broadcast Communications is selling the site where they’d planned to build a new museum

      They were unable to secure construction loans and the director, Bruce Dumont, issued a statement critical of Gov. Blagojevich and funds he promised the museum.

      I’ll post more details as I learn them.

      Diane Gutenkauf

      Director

      RobertR.McCormickMuseum at Cantigny

      1S151 Winfield Rd.

      Wheaton ,IL60189

      630-260-8159 (v)

      630-260-8160 (f)

      dgutenkauf@...

      www.cantigny.org

    • Peggie Stromberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 17, 2008
        This was on the Chicago news stations a week ago.  Blago had guanateed them a certain sum of money and it never came.  I think construction had already started, but I could be wrong there.  It just seemed to me that they showed some unfinished construction work when it was on the news.   Frankly, I would never, ever start a program of construction or anything else just on someone's word.  If you don't have a signed letter or contract in your hand, you have nothing.  This happened to another Museum who shall remain nameless.  They applied for a state grant and were told they would be getting it, but it was verbal and it was before the grants had been awarded.  The director went ahead a did a huge project they couldn't afford and didn't get the grant.  He then blamed everyone but himself because the museum nearly went under.  Museums, of all institutions, should know the old axiom of "get it in writing."  It is really unfortunate that this has happened.

        Margaret (Peggie) Stromberg
        Executive Director
        Elgin Public Museum
        847-741-6655
        peggie_epm@...

        Just announced today: The Museum of Broadcast Communications is selling the site where they’d planned to build a new museum

        They were unable to secure construction loans and the director, Bruce Dumont, issued a statement critical of Gov. Blagojevich and funds he promised the museum.

        I’ll post more details as I learn them.

        Diane Gutenkauf

        Director

        Robert R. McCormick Museum at Cantigny

        1S151 Winfield Rd.

        Wheaton, IL 60189

        630-260-8159 (v)

        630-260-8160 (f)

        dgutenkauf@cantigny .org

        www.cantigny. org

        This message, including any attachments, is the property of the City of Elgin. It may be legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). No recipient should forward, print, copy, or otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.

        Due to the nature of the Internet, the sender is unable to ensure the integrity of this message and does not accept any liability or responsibility for any errors or omissions (whether as the result of this message having been intercepted or otherwise) in the contents of this message.

        Any views expressed in this communication are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of the city.
      • Peggie Stromberg
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 17, 2008
          I just read my previous post and regret not putting in a disclaimer.  Lest anyone on the list try to guess who the mystery museum and director would be, I put forth this disclaimer:  the museum is very healthy right now.  That director has moved on in his career and is no longer in the state of Illinois!
          Margaret (Peggie) Stromberg
          Executive Director
          Elgin Public Museum
          847-741-6655