Donations to Government Museums

  • Harry Klinkhamer
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2008
      Donations to Government Museums

      Hello All:

      I'm in my first foray working for a government museum rather than a non profit. I have a donor who wants to know about writing off the value of an object that was donated. I know the drill for non profits, but is that possible with a government owned and operated museum? We have no friends group or anything like that to provide us with a non profit status. Your advice would be appreciated.

      HK

      Harry Klinkhamer
      Interpretive Facility Coordinator
      Forest Preserve District of Will County
      501 E. Romeo Road
      Romeoville, IL 60446
      815-722-9419

    • Peggie Stromberg
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2008
        i would refer him to his accountant or lawyer rather than attempting to answer such a questions yourself.  Will County would have attorneys on staff who could probably give you an answer, but it really should come from a professional he asks.  Just my opinion.  That is what I would do.  If he gave me a donation, I would write a letter acknowledging it, with no dollar amount listed, and let him deal with it.

        Margaret (Peggie) Stromberg
        Executive Director
        Elgin Public Museum
        847-741-6655
        peggie_epm@...

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2008
          Harry,

          Governmental units generally follow and are allowed the same treatment
          as non-profits. I believe the tax exemption of governments is listed
          under IRS code section 501(c)1, whereas private tax-exempt organizations
          are generally covered by 501(c)3.

          The big issue, of course, is valuing the donation, which you are are
          capable of doing as your museum is not in the business of appraising
          property. You need to acknowledge the donation, and if the donor
          received any tangible benefits in exchange for the item. He needs his
          own appraisal and to fill out the required forms with his tax return.

          Cindy Birk Conley, CPA
          White County Historical Society

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 11, 2008
            Peggie:

            Thanks for the info. I did send a letter without an amount on it. I fear the donor misunderstood when I said I was going to have a conservator look at the item to mean I was going to get it appraised. I have clarified that for the donor and not surprisingly he is not happy.

            Anyway, again thanks very much.

            Harry Klinkhamer

            peggie_epm@cityofel gin.org

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 11, 2008
              Cindy:

              Thanks so much for the information. I did let the donor know that I was not in a  position to appraise the item. I believe he misunderstood me when I said I was going to have a conservator look at it. I did inform him that appraisal was his responsibility.

              Thanks again!

              Harry Klinkhamer

              Harry Klinkhamer wrote:

              > Hello
              All:

              > I'm in my first foray working for a government museum
              rather than a non
              > profit. I have a donor who wants to know about
              writing off the value of
              > an object that was donated. I know the drill
              for non profits, but is
              > that possible with a government owned and
              operated museum? We have no
              > friends group or anything like that to
              provide us with a non profit
              > status. Your advice would be
              appreciated.

            • Peggie Stromberg
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 11, 2008
                He no doubt thought he was going to get a free appraisal out of the deal, but you have protected yourself and that is what is important.

                Margaret (Peggie) Stromberg
                Executive Director
                Elgin Public Museum
                847-741-6655