Re: [IAM_ListServ] Online Giving

  • dlewisarfm@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2008
      Dave,

      There are a lotta options.  Debby and I are researching this topic ourselves actually.    She tends to like some of the organizations like GuideStar and the like, however I prefer PayPal.

      PayPal DOES charge a bit more than some of the other online payment options (it's a floating scale based on the amount of the transaction) but they alos offer the most options.  We are able to use our account for both collecting "donations" and also collecting revenue from our gift shop, tours, and special events.  PayPal also offers the greatest flexibility on how and what the payment-interface looks like.  It's important to us that it's simply a "Pay/Donation Here" button on OUR site, as opposed to taking visitors to another site.   Being the largest online collector of funds, many already have PayPal accounts and are used to (and comfortable with) using PayPal -- as opposed to other options.   And also PayPal accepts a visitor's credit card without them needing to register and sign up for an account -- again, unlike some other options out there.

      In the end, we decided to "experiment" with PayPal handling our online  payments for our recent Fire Museum Seminar and were quite pleased.  We haven't (thus far) added the payment/donation option to our website but we're seriously thinking about it. ....

      Please we'd love to hear others thoughts and experiences

      - David -
      David Lewis, Curator
      Aurora Regional Fire Museum
      www.AuroraRegionalFireMuseum.org

      From: Sonali Oberg <sonalidaveo@ yahoo.com>
      Subject: [IAM_ListServ] Online Giving
      To: IAM_ListServ@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Thursday, October 30, 2008, 11:42 AM

      I wondered if any of you had experience and or recommendations regarding online donations. My museum is investigating our options and I am curious as to any comments or cautions related to this. Also, wondered if anyone has had experience with guidestar.org or networkforgood. org.

      Dave Oberg
      Geneva History Center