Online Giving

  • Sonali Oberg
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2008
      I wondered if any of you had experience and or recommendations regarding online donations. My museum is investigating our options and I am curious as to any comments or cautions related to this. Also, wondered if anyone has had experience with guidestar.org or networkforgood.org.

      Dave Oberg
      Geneva History Center
    • Peggie Stromberg
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2008
        I have not personally had experience with online giving other than actually giving online, but I've heard people in other museums talk about having success with it.  Can't hurt to try, I'm thinking.  I think I also heard one person say at a conference that they used a simple paypal account to accept donations.  I would be real interested in knowing what you decide to do and how it works out.
                                     Peggie
        Margaret (Peggie) Stromberg
        Executive Director
        Elgin Public Museum
        847-741-6655
        peggie_epm@...

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 30, 2008
          If you sign up with Network for Good, not contractually, but on their website, you will receive emailed newsletters on things like online giving and using email to solicit donations.
          Jane Nicoll

          Archivist, Park Forest Historical Society
          Director, 1950s Park Forest House Museum
          Virtual Exhibit at www.parkforesthistory.org
          Park Forest, IL 60466
          parkforesthistory1@...

          I wondered if any of you had experience and or recommendations regarding online donations. My museum is investigating our options and I am curious as to any comments or cautions related to this. Also, wondered if anyone has had experience with guidestar.org or networkforgood. org.

          Dave Oberg
          Geneva History Center

        • Elise Fulara
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 30, 2008
            I've worked with a foundation that used JustGive.org.  They take a 3% fee.  I often use this site to donate myself because I can do so without getting on all sorts of mailing lists I don't want to receive.

            Take care,
            Elise Fulara
            Independent Consultant

            If you sign up with Network for Good, not contractually, but on their website, you will receive emailed newsletters on things like online giving and using email to solicit donations.
            Jane Nicoll

            Archivist, Park Forest Historical Society
            Director, 1950s Park Forest House Museum
            Virtual Exhibit at www.parkforesthisto ry.org
            Park Forest, IL 60466
            parkforesthistory1@ yahoo.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 30, 2008
              Dave,

              There are a lotta options.  Debby and I are researching this topic ourselves actually.    She tends to like some of the organizations like GuideStar and the like, however I prefer PayPal.

              PayPal DOES charge a bit more than some of the other online payment options (it's a floating scale based on the amount of the transaction) but they alos offer the most options.  We are able to use our account for both collecting "donations" and also collecting revenue from our gift shop, tours, and special events.  PayPal also offers the greatest flexibility on how and what the payment-interface looks like.  It's important to us that it's simply a "Pay/Donation Here" button on OUR site, as opposed to taking visitors to another site.   Being the largest online collector of funds, many already have PayPal accounts and are used to (and comfortable with) using PayPal -- as opposed to other options.   And also PayPal accepts a visitor's credit card without them needing to register and sign up for an account -- again, unlike some other options out there.

              In the end, we decided to "experiment" with PayPal handling our online  payments for our recent Fire Museum Seminar and were quite pleased.  We haven't (thus far) added the payment/donation option to our website but we're seriously thinking about it. ....

              Please we'd love to hear others thoughts and experiences

              - David -
              David Lewis, Curator
              Aurora Regional Fire Museum
              www.AuroraRegionalFireMuseum.org