Stephen Douglas land ownership on the Grand Calumet River south bank

  • Jane Nicoll
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2008
      Dear CAA, IAM and MLS Local History SIG members:
      This question comes to us from Cynthia Ogorek of
      Calumet Historical Society. Maybe someone has the
      proof she is looking for.
      Thanks,
      Jane Nicoll

      "Hello,

      I am wondering if you can help me find proof that
      Stephen A. Douglas owned property in Illinois on the
      south bank of the Grand Calumet River near the Indiana
      border. I think plat maps would suffice, but I'd also
      be interested in seeing deeds or some other document
      regarding his ownership.

      I appreciate your help.

      Cynthia L. Ogorek, Calumet City Historical Society"

      Archivist, Park Forest Historical Society
      Director, 1950s Park Forest House Museum
      Virtual Exhibit at www.parkforesthistory.org
      Park Forest, IL 60466
      parkforesthistory1@...
    • Nancie Cassidy
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29, 2008
        Good Morning,

        I'm not familiar with that area of the state.  However, I have done title work for two different companies.  Some courthouses list property by description... subdivision, block and lot or by section for farmland.

        They could also list them by Grantor and Grantee. This is a seach for the name of the seller and buyer.  There are sets of books by Grantor and another set by Grantee.  Not knowing the area, it might take more than one courthouse.

        I would start with the Grantor and Grantee books.  They should be in alphabetical order in chronological order.  The land probably won't be divided up back then as much and there weren't as many people then so it won't take too long. The Recorder's Office is where the books are located.  You could call the Recorder's Office in the courthouse of county you think it is most likely and see if they will help you over the phone or what suggestions they can offer you. If they are buzy, you could probably check several courthouses in one day.   Hope this helps.  Good luck!

        Nancie Cassidy
        Office Manager
        Three Sisters Park
        17189 N. State Route 29
        Chillicothe, IL  61523
        309-274-8837
        309-274-8855 fax
        309-360-7806 cell
        www.threesisterspark.com

        Dear CAA, IAM and MLS Local History SIG members:
        This question comes to us from Cynthia Ogorek of
        Calumet Historical Society. Maybe someone has the
        proof she is looking for.
        Thanks,
        Jane Nicoll

        "Hello,

        I am wondering if you can help me find proof that
        Stephen A. Douglas owned property in Illinois on the
        south bank of the Grand Calumet River near the Indiana
        border. I think plat maps would suffice, but I'd also
        be interested in seeing deeds or some other document
        regarding his ownership.

        I appreciate your help.

        Cynthia L. Ogorek, Calumet City Historical Society"

        Archivist, Park Forest Historical Society
        Director, 1950s Park Forest House Museum
        Virtual Exhibit at www.parkforesthisto ry.org
        Park Forest, IL 60466
        parkforesthistory1@ yahoo.com