Window Tinting Film

  • forest_park60130
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2006
      I need some help in this area,
      In our village library building we have some artifacts that date back
      to the French Fur Trade. They are sitting in a display case that I
      feel is way too close to the windows and are getting destroyed from
      sunlight. The library after discussions with me asked if they put a
      window tint on the windows would this help? They showed me a product
      by a company called Llumar Window Film. I still say the best way is to
      move the items to an area with no outside light or just completely
      close the blinds on the window. I guess what my question would be is
      what would be an acceptable product for the tinting of the windows?
      And that would block the damaging rays of the sunlight.
    • mturner4626@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 14, 2006
         I'm not familiar with that particular brand of UV filtering material, but tests have shown that the film on windows is effective in blocking up to 85 to 90% of the damaging rays.  However, I would still agree with you that the artifacts should be moved out of the sunlight whether the windows are covered or not.  You could also cover the case with light blocking fabric (available where drapery fabrics are sold) when the museum is not open.

        Hope this helps,
        Mary

        Mary Turner
        Illinois Association of Museums