recommended shelves / pallet racks

  • insullmagnate
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26 12:11 AM
      Would any list subscribers be able to provide recommendations for a seller of reliable, heavy-gauge steel shelves with flat shelf surfaces?

      I've looked at catalogs of the traditional vendors such as Gaylord, University Products, and Hollinger-Metal Edge. All offer shelves. But the designs lack cross-braces, which provide stability and eliminate the chance of torque or twisting. In two instances, also, steel utility shelves have turned out to have thin light-gauge steel, which rendered the shelves almost useless. Can any list subscribers comment factually on the strength of the collections-quality shelves purchased from Hollinger-Metal Edge, or another reliable vendor?

      I'm also looking for used, clean pallet racks about 6-to-8 feet high, 30-to-36 inches deep, and beams 8, 10, or 12 feet across. Craigslist has not featured that smaller dimension of end upright supports after 4 months of almost daily searches, including store-closing sales. Might any list subscribers in northeastern Illinois be able to comment on a supplier of reasonably clean (unrusted) used pallet racks suitable for large-size artifact storage?

      The objects to be stored include heavy and sometimes long iron and steel artifacts, steel and plastic signs, and cubic-foot cartons of papers. The stuff is heavy and the storage environment is somewhat industrial, albeit dry, safe, and historically appropriate.

      Martin Tuohy
    • smalltown61864
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 26 6:57 AM
        take a look at this: http://www.interlakemecalux.com/standard-rack/selective?gclid=COfok6mhm7kCFY87MgodI3wAzg

        I think it may be what you're seeking. They might have access to older units, that they're replacing and which you could get a decent price. Another idea is to ask at auto parts stores, they might have some leads and/or info about access to older shelving/pallets that they're replacing with new ones.

        JC Morgan
        Philo Public Library District
      • Sharon Exley
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 26 7:19 AM
          Try Equipto, we've specified them for years. They're exactly what you need.

          Sharon Exley MAAE
          ArchitectureIsFun, Inc.
        • Eric Barnett
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 26 8:39 AM
            We use Spacesaver and have been very pleased with their products and services.  My sales rep is Phil Tilghman at the Peterson Group in the St. Louis area.  I understand they also have offices in Chicago and Peoria.

            Eric Barnett, Director
            The University Museum
            Southern Illinois University Edwardsville

            On 8/26/2013 2:11 AM, insullmagnate wrote:

[...]

          • Kimberly Stull
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 26 11:42 AM
              Have you tried Grainger or McMaster Carr?

              --

              Kimberly Stull

              Director of Operations

              DuPage Children's MUSEUM

              …where learning comes in to play®!

              301 N. Washington St.

              Naperville, IL 60540

               630.637.8000 ext.5000

              www.dupagechildrensmuseum.org

              www.childrensmuseumblog.blogspot.com

              Like us: www.facebook.com/DCMFanPage

              Follow us: www.twitter.com/DuPageChildrens

              Volunteer Blog: www.volunteersMATTER.blogspot.com

               CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, privileged or other information, protected by law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.