Abolitionist Map of America App from PBS

  • lombardhistory@att.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2012
      Please see news release below. If anyone would like to pin sites to the map, they are welcome to do so by contacting Casey Davis for guidelines. These are not Underground RR sites, but rather anti-slavery or abolionist sites (places for meetings, rallys, or homes of prominent abolitionists.) Illinois was critically important to the efforts and should be well represented on the App! Thanks-
      Jeanne Schultz Angel, Sheldon Peck Homestead

      Hello,

      Great news -- After more than a year in the works, the American Experience: Mapping History app launched in iTunes yesterday morning! It features the Abolitionist Map of America, and walking tours of selected cities across the country (Boston and Charleston are currently up and running — Philadelphia and Cincinnati are coming soon).

      One of only four iPhone apps sold through PBS' iTunes store, American Experience: Mapping History is the only one of those in the "Education" category. Search "American Experience" in the iTunes store and download the app to your iPhone today! (And please feel free to rate and review it for us!)

      To date, the Abolitionist Map of America features more than 600 pins. It literally would not exist without all of your hard work, and we sincerely appreciate your efforts and time committed, as we, together, reveal the story of the abolitionist movement across North America.

      To spread the word about your contributions to the app, you may use these customizable social media posts:

      Facebook: Find our material on the new @American Experience iPhone app! We have added ## pins to the _your_region_ area on the Abolitionist Map of America. Search for "American Experience" in the iTunes store to download the Mapping History app to your iPhone today! Browse and explore historical materials and videos significant to the abolitionist movement all across America! http://ow.ly/g4Eg5

      Twitter: We have partnered with @AmExperiencePBS on the Abolitionist Map of America iPhone app. Download today!

      http://ow.ly/g4Eg5

      Next week I will send you a press release announcing the app, which you can customize for your blogs, websites, or newspapers so that your community will know to check out the materials you have contributed to the map.

      Thank you again for all of the work you have done to help make possible the Abolitionist Map of America. If you have not yet had the opportunity to contribute your historical materials to the map, please know that there is no deadline for contributing! The project is ongoing, and we want the map to continue to grow as a wonderful resource indefinitely!

      Happy holidays to you, and congratulations!

      Best,
      Casey

      Casey E. Davis, MLIS | Special Projects Assistant | American Experience | 617-300-5921|
      WGBH Educational Foundation | One Guest Street | Boston, MA 02135

      *WGBH – Produced in Boston, shared with the world