RE: Public Film Showing

  • Kirk Bunke
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 9, 2012

      That was one of the questions I asked after picking my jaw up off the floor.  The Fox staffer in New York was sure that was the performance fee.  He based the quote off the fee for cinema festivals and took off the biggest discount he was authorized to give.

      Kirk Bunke
      Farm Manager
      Primrose Farm Museum
      St Charles Park District
      Phone (630)513-4370
      Fax (630)587-6643

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 9, 2012
        Ugh .  . . This is a topic that makes my blood pressure jump!

        We had a group of local citizens who were interested in starting a local film-club and they asked to use our museum's theater (teared seating, a nice projector and screen and sound system).   It was going to be free (and we - the museum - were even going to provide this group the use of the space for free as some goodwill) -- but when we started looking into the legalities and performance rights, everything went out the window!

        First off, as Diane has said, you MUST get (buy) rights to showing a movie. The MPAA and ASCAP are cracking down on museums -- doing random phone surveys, scouring the web for movie event announcements.  Thry and get aound not licensing a movie or music, and they will find you.  Even a film  , a song, or even a film clip is used in an exhibit, or as part of an educational program, those are NOT considered legitimate exemptions under the US Copyright's  "Fair Use" Act.     :-(

        Sooo, back to our proposal -- Wanting to be "fair" - we talked with Swank and Criterion and got the same story from both.   A one-time (free) showing of a full-length feature film ranged from $150 to $300 per showing per film!  (YIKES!) . . . .    So, wait, how is it that public libraries can show free movies every month you might ask?   Ah, "LIBRARIES" are classified differently by the MPAA, Swank and Criterion.  They have a different division, different department, different phone number, different price-list, and much different rules for libraries.   "Libraries" can buy (for about $300-$400) an annual blanket rights policy from Swank, Criterion, and others, that allows them to play any, movie, as many movies, from the companies collection, any time, and as many times as they want!  --  Wow, that's a pretty good deal (I wanted that deal!).   I *tried* to explain to
        Swank and Criterion that museums are educational, public institutions, just like libraries, but alas I was told only libraries were eligible for this annual blanket licenses, and museum's are not libraries. .... (and then they briskly transferred me back to the commercial/museum division where I got the run-around again!)  Grrrrrr!

        We have a great relationship with our library, and they frequently use our meeting room, for events so we asked what about making this and official "Library Movie Club" who happened to meet in our museum building simply for logistical purposes.  The library was happy to go along, but Swank told us "NO" the library-licensing program ONLY covered performances/screenings made within the bricks-and-mortar library building itself.  Even a movie projected on a screen in the library's parking lot was forbidden!    :-(    ... Grrrrr!

        In researching this topic on the various museum list-servs (it came up a couple years ago) - I did find a couple of museums with the word "LIBRARY" in their name that were able to sneak in, so that might be something to consider if you happen to work at the "Something-Something-Museum-AND-Library."

        Sooo, what to do?  If you really want to show movies (and you're not too picky) - seek out independent films, shorts, documentaries, and such.  Often these smaller (low budget) films have VERY liberal rights -- free for movie clubs, non profits - and such -- as they are trying to get as much distribution as possible.

        I wish you luck, and wish we'd all somehow petition the MPAA that museum's were libraries too and so we could get easier access, but until then....  Grrrrr!

        - David -
        David Lewis, Curator
        Aurora Regional Fire Museum
        www.AuroraRegionalFireMuseum.org