museum architect

  • HPA, IAM
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 7 9:26 AM

      Hi,

      I just had a request from a SW suburban organization that is looking for an architect to work with on an addition to their museum. They will appreciate any references you can give them. The internet seems to concentrate on world-reknown projects, while theirs is not.

      Thanks,

      Sue Huitt

      IAM

    • Charles Katzenmeyer
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 7 9:27 AM
        Thanks for your message!

        I will be away from the museum until Thursday, November 10, with limited access to email and voice mail.  If your question is time-sensitive, please contact my assistant Kate Gaskill at 312-322-0334 or call my mobile phone (312-933-2223).  Thank you!

        - Charles

      • Douglas Stapleton
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 7 9:34 AM
          Hello Sue

          http://www.hannoweber.com/

          Hanno Weber & Assoc. did our renovation of the Chicago Gallery. I would
          recommend them.

          Doug

          --
          Douglas Stapleton
          Assistant Curator of Art
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 7 10:26 AM

            I would highly recommend Constantine Vasilios who did the renovation of the library at the Mitchell Museum of the American Indian: www.cvadesign.com; 312-431-0331.   He did a terrific job of making the most out of a small space and is immensely creative.

            Janice

            Janice Klein

            EightSixSix Consulting

            jkhm@...

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 7 10:45 AM

              I would strongly recommend Wight & Company who have been doing a lot of work for the past several years at Naper Settlement.  They are also working on adapting an historic post office into a bank in downtown Naperville.  Although they have a large focus with schools, they are equally adept at museums, cultural organizations, and businesses.  They are very good with sustainable and energy efficient features as well.  They are skilled at small to large projects and competitively priced.  I find them very responsive to our needs and interests.

              I’ve listed contact info below for Richard Carlson, President of the architecture group at Wight & Company.  Please tell whoever contacted you they are welcome to use my name as a referral.  Wight & Company is based in Darien, IL.

              Richard Carlson

              Peggy Frank

              President and CEO

              NS horz green.jpg

              Chicagoland’s Outdoor History Museum

              Direct 630.420.6011 Main 630.420.6010 Fax 630.305.6217 E-Mail frankp@...

              523 S. Webster Street Naperville, IL 60540 www.napersettlement.museum

              Naper Settlement is administered by the Naperville Heritage Society, a not-for-profit organization.

              --
              Douglas Stapleton
              Assistant Curator of Art
              Illinois State Museum Chicago Gallery
              James R. Thompson Center Suite 2-100
              100 W Randolph Street
              Chicago IL 60601
              (312) 814-5320

            • Peggie Stromberg
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 7 10:49 AM
                I worked with Dahlquist and Lutzow on a museum addition to a very old, historic building.  They were superb and when it was finished, you couldn't tell the old from the new.  Bruce Dahlquist, Two Pierce Place, Suite 1300, Itasca, IL 60143.

                Margaret (Peggie) Stromberg
                Executive Director
                Elgin Public Museum of Natural History
                 and Anthropology
                847-741-6655
                peggie_epm@...

                The mission of the Elgin Public Museum is to enhance knowledge of the natural sciences and anthropology through the use of exhibits and interactive experiences.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 7 10:57 AM
                  Hi Sue,

                  What organization is it?  History?

                  dt

                  On 11/7/2011 11:26 AM, HPA, IAM wrote:

                  Hi,

                  I just had a request from a SW suburban organization that is looking for an architect to work with on an addition to their museum. They will appreciate any references you can give them. The internet seems to concentrate on world-reknown projects, while theirs is not.

                  Thanks,

                  Sue Huitt

                  IAM

                  No virus found in this message.

                  Debra K. Tayes
                  Associate Curator of Art
                  Southern Illinois Art Gallery
                  Illinois State Museum

                  email: dtayes@...
                  phone: 618-629-2220 or 618-629-2518

                  14967 Gun Creek Trail
                  Whittington, IL 62897

                • Sean O'Connor
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 7 5:04 PM

                    Sue, I have three architectural firms in my files that have designed suburban public libraries (or additions or renovations) built in the recent past.  The firm Phillips Swager Associates designed the 1999 renovation and expansion of the Downers Grove Public Library building. Burnidge Cassell Associates (BCA) of Elgin (now PSA-Dewberry/BCA) designed the La Grange Public Library and Addison Public Library.  The Chicago-based architectural firm of Frye Gillan Molinaro, Architects, Ltd. (FGM) designed the Riverside Public Library extension (completed in 1986) in Riverside, Illinois; the Sun Prairie Public Library (1999) in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin; the Pikes Peak Library District’s Penrose Library (2002/2003) in Colorado Springs, Colorado; the Doris Van Doren and Mission Valley Branches of the El Paso Public Library in El Paso, Texas; the Summit Public Library (2004) in Summit, Illinois; the Stephenson Public Library (2008) in Marinette, Wisconsin; the Gail Borden Public Library (2003) in Elgin, Illinois and the Studio 270 Teen Center (2008) in the Gail Borden Public Library; the Poplar Creek Public Library (2009) in Streamwood, Illinois; and the South Wing (2011) of the Detroit Main Library in Detroit, Michigan.  I hope this helps.

                    S.M. O'Connor

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 7 5:16 PM

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 9 4:51 AM
                        Thanks for your message!

                        I will be away from the museum until Thursday, November 10, with limited access to email and voice mail.  If your question is time-sensitive, please contact my assistant Kate Gaskill at 312-322-0334 or call my mobile phone (312-933-2223).  Thank you!

                        - Charles

                      • Kirk Bunke
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 9 4:52 AM

                          We used PHN Architects out of Wheaton for our restoration work.  Doug Holzrichter was our main contact at 630 /665-8400.  They handled the visitor’s center at Wagner Farm for the Glenview Park District among others.

                          Kirk Bunke
                          Farm Manager
                          Primrose Farm Museum
                          St Charles Park District