Joy Matthiessen

  • Gutenkauf, Diane
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2011

      http://triblocal.com/des-plaines/2011/08/04/former-history-director-remembered-for-strong-will/

      Joy Matthiessen, IAM member and director of the Des Plaines History Center passed away Wednesday morning. I thought list members might like to know.

      Diane Gutenkauf

      Director

      Robert R. McCormick Museum

      1s151 Winfield Rd

      Wheaton IL 60189

      630-260-8159 (v)

      630-260-8160 (f)

      dgutenkauf@...

      www.cantigny.org

      Friend us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter: McCormick Museum

    • Charles Katzenmeyer
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2011
        Thanks for your message!  I will be out of town on Thursday, August 4 and Friday, August 5, with limited access to e-mail and voice mail.  If your question is time-sensitive, please contact my assistant Kate Gaskill at 312-322-0334 or call my mobile phone (312-933-2223).  Thank you!  -- Charles

      • Janice Klein
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 5, 2011

          It has been many years since I worked with Joy on the founding IAM Board, but I remember her dedication and enthusiasm for Illinois museums with great admiration and affection.   A remarkable woman and an inspiration.   She will be missed.

          Janice

          Janice Klein

          EightSixSix Consulting

          jkhm@...

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 5, 2011
            Diane:  Thank you for passing this along.  I'm writing back through tears -- Joy was one of the first colleagues I met when I got to Evanston 20 years ago.  I enjoyed, respected, and loved her in many ways.  I kept trying to get her down here to Peoria, but never did.

            She was a special person.

            Kristan

            Kristan H. McKinsey
            VP of Collections and Exhibitions
            Lakeview Museum of Arts and Sciences
            1125 W. Lake Ave.
            Peoria, IL  61614-5985
            309-686-7000, ext. 134

            On Aug 5, 2011, at 1:01 PM, Gutenkauf, Diane wrote:

            http://triblocal.com/des-plaines/2011/08/04/former-history-director-remembered-for-strong-will/

            Joy Matthiessen, IAM member and director of the Des Plaines History Center passed away Wednesday morning. I thought list members might like to know.

            Diane Gutenkauf

            Director

            Robert R. McCormick Museum

            1s151 Winfield Rd

            Wheaton IL 60189

            630-260-8159 (v)

            630-260-8160 ! (f)

            dgutenkauf@...

            www.cantigny.org

            Friend us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter: McCormick Museum

          • Styles Bonnie
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2011
              Diane:

              Thanks for posting this information. We will all miss her.

              Bonnie Styles

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 6, 2011
                Thanks for your message!  I will be out of town on Thursday, August 4 and Friday, August 5, with limited access to e-mail and voice mail.  If your question is time-sensitive, please contact my assistant Kate Gaskill at 312-322-0334 or call my mobile phone (312-933-2223).  Thank you!  -- Charles

              • Shari Caine
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 7, 2011
                  Diane and all,

                  Thank you for posting this.  We've been very busy this past week fielding calls and trying to get the information out about Joy.  Information on a memorial service to be held in Des Plaines has been placed on our web site at www.desplaineshistory.org.  This week, the History Center Trustees will be discussing a second memorial for Joy to be held at the History Center itself.  Anyone who may have questions is welcome to contact me.

                  -- Shari Caine

                  _____________________________________
                  Des Plaines History Center, Archives open to the public:  Wednesdays-Fridays, 9am-6pm

                  Shari Caine, Executive Director, Des Plaines History Center
                  781 Pearson Street, Des Plaines, IL  60016
                  Ph: 847-391-5399, Fax: 847-297-4741
                  http://www.desplaineshistory.org/

                • Karen Witter
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 8, 2011
                    Joy was a wonderful person and dedicated museum professional. She had an incredible spirit. She will indeed be missed.
                    Karen

                    At 01:01 PM 8/5/2011 -0500, you wrote:

                    http://triblocal.com/des-plaines/2011/08/04/former-history-director-remembered-for-strong-will/

                    Joy Matthiessen, IAM member and director of the Des Plaines History Center passed away Wednesday morning. I thought list members might like to know.

                    Diane Gutenkauf

                    Director

                    Robert R. McCormick Museum

                    1s151 Winfield Rd

                    Wheaton IL 60189

                    630-260-8159 (v)

                    630-260-8160 ( f)

                    dgutenkauf@...

                    www.cantigny.org

                    Friend us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter: McCormick Museum

                    Karen A. Witter
                    Associate Director
                    Illinois State Museum
                    502 S. Spring Street