Looking for borrowing policy assistance

  • redheadcol
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2011
      Hello,
      I am hoping some of the museums here have recommendations on instituting or not instituting borrowing policies for archival or research materials. We are a small museum, but have requests to read certain books in our small library.
      How do other museums handle requests like this on books, original papers, photographs, etc?
      Information and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

      You can email me at cmcelroy@...
    • Harry Klinkhamer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2011
        We do allow borrowing privileges from our library--strictly books (none of them rare--stuff you can get on Amazon) but nothing that we feel is rare, valuable, or critical for our staff  for research, etc. Two books for two weeks is the policy. We collect their info from driver's licenses (which means children under 16 must have parent check out the book). If they miss the deadlines, we start calling them about every other week for a month or so. At that point we say that we will be handing this over to the police as it is then considered theft of government property. That tends to work. It also helps that we have our own police. We maybe lose about 1-2 books a year that never come back.

        Harry Klinkhamer
        Interpretive Facility Coordinator
        Forest Preserve District of Will County
        501 E. Romeo Road
        Romeoville, IL 60446
        815-722-9419

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2011
          We don't allow out of building borrowing as a general rule, other than
          creating off-site exhibits at our local library. We've got a really good
          copier and patrons are welcome to copy portions they want to use for
          research.

          I will also check the Internet Archive and Google Books for folks; sometimes
          the history books they want are available either for on-line download or as
          print volumes from the Higginson Book Company. We have neither the staff nor
          the inclination to allow our collections to leave the building.

          With documents, we're happy to make copies for folks. And we've got scanners
          (one letter sized, one 13x19) that allow us to copy virtually any photo in
          our collection and either give folks a print, copy it to their thumb drive,
          or burn it to a CD or DVD. I've even copied panoramic group shots for folks
          on our 13x19 scanner, scanning in two pieces and then stitching them
          together in Adobe Photoshop Elements.

          Digitizing photos for our patrons has the added benefit of creating copies
          of un-scanned images for our digitized photo collection.

          We've had very good luck asking folks for donations for supplying them with
          copies instead of assessing set charges; generally they donate more than we
          would have charged. But then again, we're a pretty small outfit at the
          Little White School Museum in Oswego and don't get a lot of people
          researching at the same time. We're also lucky in that the Oswego Public
          Library has the collections of the Fox Valley Genealogical Society available
          for researchers during far more hours than we're open every week.

          --
          Roger Matile
          RNSMatile@...
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2011
            At Cahokia Mounds, we just allow in-house use of the library by appointment and do not lend books except on rare occasions. We do allow people to use the copier. There is no fee but they can make a donation if they wish. For photos, I can send digital copies by email or disc for a basic $5 each, but sometimes that is waived, with payment to our support group, the Cahokia Mounds Museum Society. If images are not in our digital file, we can scan slides or prints of the desired subject.
            Bill Iseminger, cahokia.mounds@....