Museum Treasurers

  • carol biester
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
      Hello everyone,
      I have a question for you.  Do your museum boards have treasurers and do they do the budget, banking and bill payments for the museum?
      About four years ago, our treasurer was not supplying our board with reports. The mayor of our city, in order to punish her, took all the checkbooks away from our board, the library board, park board and the community building.   The city clerk now handles all our money.  We have to deliver bills, receipts and bank deposits to her.
      The library board got their checkbooks back two years ago after appealing to the library association.  The old treasurer from the museum board is now gone and the commission is in agreement that since we raise the money for the museum, we should be allowed to pay the bills.   Running to City hall is a pain, and their bookkeeping is not that great.    We try to keep a running record of our expenses but sometimes someone will present a bill to city hall and we don't know if it is legitimate or what our balance is.
      The mayor said that the auditor suggested taking over all the checkbooks.  I think it is becuse he doesn't want to have to bother coming to our facility to audit.
      Also, we are now concerned because our city is operating in the red and consider us as part of their revenue.    We sure don't want them using our hard earned dollars to pay their bills. We have a huge project going on refurbishing the limestone on the outside of our two story building and really need every nickle.
      Any ideas out there on how to get our checkbook out of their hands?   The commission had control of it since it began in 1973.

      Carol Biester
      Amboy Depot Commission
      Amboy Depot Museum

    • Cindy Birk Conley
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
        Carol,

        Our museums are part of an independent Historical Society, so we have to
        have our own treasurer, board, and checkbook. We also have to file our
        own Form 990 and state filings.

        In our area we have some museums which are in govern-owned properties,
        which allow the municipalities to levy taxes and get better grants, but
        most properties are owned by non-profits directly. Even the ones renting
        property from the city seem to have their own funds.

        As a CPA I can see the city's point, but think your board could have
        some control over funds, at least a small account, plus input into
        budgeting and planning. There are also issues about long-term control
        over the funds and library property.

        I'd be interested in hearing how other places are set up.

        Cindy Birk Conley
        White County Historical Society
        Carmi, IL

        carol biester wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        > I have a question for you. Do your museum boards have treasurers and do
        > they do the budget, banking and bill payments for the museum?
        > About four years ago, our treasurer was not supplying our board with
        > reports. The mayor of our city, in order to punish her, took all the
        > checkbooks away from our board, the library board, park board and the
        > community building. The city clerk now handles all our money. We have
        > to deliver bills, receipts and bank deposits to her.
        > The library board got their checkbooks back two years ago after
        > appealing to the library association. The old treasurer from the museum
        > board is now gone and the commission is in agreement that since we raise
        > the money for the museum, we should be allowed to pay the bills.
        > Running to City hall is a pain, and their bookkeeping is not that
        > great. We try to keep a running record of our expenses but sometimes
        > someone will present a bill to city hall and we don't know if it is
        > legitimate or what our balance is.
        > The mayor said that the auditor suggested taking over all the
        > checkbooks. I think it is becuse he doesn't want to have to bother
        > coming to our facility to audit.
        > Also, we are now concerned because our city is operating in the red and
        > consider us as part of their revenue. We sure don't want them using
        > our hard earned dollars to pay their bills. We have a huge project going
        > on refurbishing the limestone on the outside of our two story building
        > and really need every nickle.
        > Any ideas out there on how to get our checkbook out of their hands?
        > The commission had control of it since it began in 1973.

      • Gutenkauf, Diane
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
          Carole

          Is your museum a city department or do you have some sort of operating agreement with your city?

          Diane Gutenkauf
          Director
          Robert R. McCormick Museum at Cantigny
          1s151 Winfield Rd.
          Wheaton IL 60189
          dgutenkauf@...

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
            Dear DIane,
            Our museum is not a department of the city.  It is a separate entity. The commission owns the park in which the museum sits.   The only formal agreement is that the city may use our parking lot and that they will keep up our grounds.  THe city does our mowing and snow removal.   They have been helpful.
            Carol

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
              THanks for your input Cindy.   We do not receive tax money as we are an independent historical society. We have always had a chairman, co-chair, secretary and treasurer until the past few years.
              I am also interested in how other places are set up.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010

                It appears to me, and I am NOT a lawyer, that your mayor has overstepped her authority. Your city government has no oversight responsibility for your museum, if indeed you are an independent 510 c 3.

                Your board may have abdicated their fiduciary responsibilities and that could have consequences with the state.

                You need professional advice, not ad hoc advice from a listserv.

                Please contact an lawyer who is familiar with non-profit organizations. In Chicago one can find professionals who volunteer (http://www.artsbiz-chicago.org/volunteer/bva/) and you might find something similar in your area.

                Diane Gutenkauf

                Director

                Robert R. McCormick Museum

                dgutenkauf@...

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
                  Thanks so much for your input.
                  Carol

                  dgutenkauf@cantigny .org

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
                    Carol,

                    Now I don't understand why the mayor got angry at the old treasurer, if
                    the museum was an independent non-profit. Libraries are normally part of
                    the municipal government, as would be a parks department and community
                    center.

                    There could also be situations where the city owns the museum and lets
                    an independent historical society operate out of it, or rent it, or
                    various cost-sharing arrangements.

                    The auditor being involved also would make me think there is significant
                    city ownership.

                    Cindy